Should Martins be an automatic starter?

McCormick

shouldnt matter after today. Owen and Viduka will both miss the next few games. Its a big test for Big Sam and its early days at the moment.

It will be hard to keep everyone happy, thats what you need to have in the squad, but I can see with where the club is at the moment that people would be upset being on the bench, it would be less of a problem if they were playing at chelsea or manure.

Oba will get more time, but I think sam is dicing with death a little!

Wssn't really a chance, he made his own problems like, he could have hit i first time on his left but he's lacking that sharpness due to being sat on his arse so he panicked a bit, took it too far so the angle was way too tight he was totally off balance and hit it with his wrong foot, wasn't really a sitter either but a good oppurtunity but he could have finished it off first time though, he would have done that last season.

I think it's getting to the point now where Owen has just had too many constant injuries, and there comes a time when you have to say 'enough is enough'. In Martins we have a young (supposedly) and talented player who can match up well with Viduka or Smith up front, and he should be chosen ahead of Owen, regardless of how much we're paying for Owen or how much prestige he brings to the club. I think it will be a disaster if Martins gets disillusioned with sitting on the bench, and seaks to leave in January. I'd be happier if Owen left, tbh.

Bet Gemmill was jumping for joy when Oba missed than chance  :razz:

No, just as frustrated as ever with him unfortunately.

In answer to the question - if Owen is fit, no he shouldn't.

owen over martins imo too.

martins is the jnr striker and hes too eratic.  He makes a great sub though.  tough shit if his ego dont like it.

Smith and martins could form decent enough partnership, but seeing viduka and martins could be exciting, but not sure that martins has the brains to keep up with viduks tricks.

Funny how no one on here has mentioned the fact that he had the assist for the 3rd goal which effectively sealed the deal for us. This after coming on and setting up the winning goal against Wigan.

Way too much being said about the miss, considering he made it for himself out of nothing and he had already played a huge part by setting up the previous goal and the game was already all over because of it.

I have no doubt that if Owen is out for around a month and Martins plays every game alongisde Viduka or Smith during this time, Martins will prove that overall he will bring more to the team as an attacking player. He will get assists, he will score goals and he will win us free kicks in dangerous areas as well as penalties.

Right now he does deserve to start in front of Owen, Martins does more in 20 mins than Owen does in 70 mins. He should have finished his chance yesterday but to be fair it was all his own work anyway and he did min tto help build up the play and then put in a good ball for Zoggy's goal.

A fully fit and in form Owen maybe should keep Oba on the bench but right now we don't have that, but on current form Martins should start alongside Viduka!!

Funny how no one on here has mentioned the fact that he had the assist for the 3rd goal which effectively sealed the deal for us

He recovered well during that phase of play... sure he wanted to set himself up for a shot but his first touch was terrible :lol:

"Right now he does deserve to start in front of Owen, Martins does more in 20 mins than Owen does in 70 mins. He should have finished his chance yesterday but to be fair it was all his own work anyway and he did min tto help build up the play and then put in a good ball for Zoggy's goal.

A fully fit and in form Owen maybe should keep Oba on the bench but right now we don't have that, but on current form Martins should start alongside Viduka!!"

I agree and disagree with you because you've gone and contradicted yourself. Yeah Martins is a better all-rounder, but until Owen got injured at the weekend he'd just scored 3 in 2 in internationals. I like him and Viduka together, maybe with Martins on the wing??

http://tinyurl.com/26ax75