Arsenal 2 - 0 Newcastle (Carling Cup) - 25/09/07

Newcastle Fan

Eek, Van Persie's starting? Probably Da Silva alongside him aswell then; doubt they'd play both RVP and Adebayor...

Harper

Beye  Rozehnal  Faye  Enrique

Milner  Geremi  Butt  N'Zogbia

Viduka  Martins

Drop Viduka? Are you mayyyyyd? Also, i wouldn't drop one of Butt or Geremi, cos if they both play well, they'll assist us in setting up shop (which we'll need to go against such a good, offensive team). I'd have Faye starting at the back cos he's a big motherfucker and will hopefully combat the aerial threat of Da Silva/Adebayor, and Rozehnal who's tall aswell, who should also counter the pace of Van Persie or whoever.

Changed my mind. Would rather not risk Viduka if he's got a knock. Smith in for him.

Same for the rest, though. Crucial that we've got N'Zogbia and Enrique both down the left for this one if Walcott's going to be down there. N'Zogbia to keep up with him and Enrique to be rock hard and knock him out of his stride.

Therefore:

Harper

Beye  Rozehnal  Faye  Enrique

Milner  Geremi  Butt  N'Zogbia

Smith  Martins

However i reckon he'll want to rest Milner n'all, therefore i reckon we'll see this:

Given

Beye  Rozehnal  Taylor  Enrique

Smith  Geremi  Faye  N'Zogbia

Ameobi  Martins

But i hope not.

Latest from the Beeb:

Arsenal v Newcastle

Poland goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski looks set to make his debut in one of several changes by the Gunners.

Lassana Diarra is in line for his first start, while Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Eboue are also in contention.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce will be without striker Michael Owen and defender Claudio Cacapa (both groin).

Mark Viduka should be fit after picking up a knock, but Joey Barton, Emre, Peter Ramage, Damien Duff, Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro are still out.

Arsenal (from): Fabianski, Traore, Senderos, Song, Hoyte, Diarra, Denilson, Diaby, Walcott, Eduardo, Bendtner, Mannone, Randall, Gibbs, Lansbury, Merida Perez, Eboue.

Newcastle (from): Harper, Given, N'Zogbia, Rozehnal, Taylor, Enrique, Faye, Edgar, Beye, Milner, Geremi, Butt, Smith, Pattison, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi.

Glad to see no Fabregas.

I am certain Big Sam will have a particular game plan in mind for Arsenal maybe a 3 in the Centre with Abodalaye Faye holding or a different version of his Bolton sides that were so successful against Wenger team, Big Sam certainly knows what tactics help stop Wenger flowing sides from his Bolton vs Arsenal days I am sure we will see a different formation and tactics then what we saw against West Ham at Home for this one.

Maybe...

-----------------Given-----------------

Beye---Taylor--Rozenhal--Enrique

-------Geremi---Faye---Emre---------

-------Martins--Smith--N'Zogbia-------

Subs - Viduka, Milner, Butt, Cacapa, Harper

Resting for Man City - Owen, Viduka, Milner, Butt, Harper

I am certain Big Sam will have a particular game plan in mind for Arsenal maybe a 3 in the Centre with Abodalaye Faye holding or a different version of his Bolton sides that were so successful against Wenger team, Big Sam certainly knows what tactics help stop Wenger flowing sides from his Bolton vs Arsenal days I am sure we will see a different formation and tactics then what we saw against West Ham at Home for this one.

Maybe...

:lol: thats the 1st time i ever heard someone say Harper would be rested. All credit to him thou he has been in good form

Guest newcastle4life

Hard game  hopefully some how we can steal a win against there youngsters with a strong team.

Given

Beye  Rozenhal Taylor Enrique

Milner  Geremi  Faye  Zoggy

Smith  martins

Some players probably rested with there injuries like Viduka Cacapa and Owen hopfully we snatch a win maybe 1-0 with maybe Martins to score but Arsenal have great confidence so will take a brilliant performance i feel.

Maybe...

You may be right about the formation. Everyone is assuming we'll stick with the 4-4-2 but Sam has spoken about changing the formation for different games and I don't think he'll want to give Arsenal space in the middle of the park. I wouldn't be surprised if we pack the midfield.

Guest Kenton Magpie

I'll be happy aslong as Shola doesnt start, who is making the trip? it should be a canny one i just hope my arse copes with the strain of almost 12+ hours on a coach!

Maybe...

You may be right about the formation. Everyone is assuming we'll stick with the 4-4-2 but Sam has spoken about changing the formation for different games and I don't think he'll want to give Arsenal space in the middle of the park. I wouldn't be surprised if we pack the midfield.

two good posts. i think this is one game where Allardyce's physical, direct, 4-3-3 will be best employed. we might not be able to match a Wenger side on a purely footballing basis, but with a lot of young players in their side, we'll find it a lot easier to outperform them physically.

Guest Arsenal Ref

Yep, like a couple of others have said, we'll play an almost completely different XI to that which started on Saturday. Gilberto's had the last 2 games off, so I suspect him to start, but in defence. Senderos may also play, as may Eduardo. Wenger has gaurenteed Fabianski, Diarra, Bendtner and Denilson will start. So I suspect it'll be:

------------Fabianski-----------------

Hoyte---Gilberto--Senderos--Traore

Walcott---Song---Diarra---Denilson

---------Eduardo--Bendtner----------

With the likes of Nordtvelt and Diaby on the bench.

I think it'll really be a tough game for us, and given that you'll field a stronger side, I'd put you as slight favourites. I'm going, and I hope it's a lot closer than the Derby game was, as that got a bit boring after a while, just waiting for the next goal!  ;D

am i right or wrong in saying that senderos is absolute dogshite? and also would wenger not play any of your first teamers at all? eg fabregas, toure, vpersie?

Senderos is rubbish, but is fortunate to usually play alongside the awesome Kolo Toure whose pace and reading of the game usually gets Senderos out of trouble. Alongside Gilberto (poissbly) tomorrow and up against Martins, I don't fancy our chances...

As for 1st teamers, the 'big' stars won't play, i.e. Cesc, Toure, Van Persie. However, we don't have many central defenders, so Senderos should start. And then it'll be the fringe first team players like Diaby, Eduardo, Walcott, and Denilson that'll fill in. I suspect more fringe players are playing than would be against weaker opposition though.

Guest sicko2ndbest

We will revert back to 4-3-3 for tonight

....................................................Given.........................................................

Beye...........................Roz...............................Tayls....................................Enrique

...............Smith.......................Faye..............................Geremi..................................

......................Martins....................................................Milner.................................

.................................................Ameobi...................................................................

....................................................Given.........................................................

Beye...........................Roz...............................Tayls....................................Enrique

...............Smith.......................Faye..............................Geremi..................................

......................Martins....................................................Milner.................................

.................................................Ameobi...................................................................

Not the team i'd pick, as i'd go more posiively with a 442 especially since their not at full strength. But i have a feeling your probably right in guessing BSA's team . BSA seems to like to nulify the oppositions attacking threat 1st. Possible differences being Faye and Milner out for Butt and Zoggy. He still may surprise us all sticking with Zoggy LB, although this seems the perfect chance for Enrique. 

Not the team i'd pick, as i'd go more posiively with a 442 especially since their not at full strength. But i have a feeling your probably right in guessing BSA's team . BSA seems to like to nulify the oppositions attacking threat 1st. Possible differences being Faye and Milner out for Butt and Zoggy. He still may surprise us all sticking with Zoggy LB, although this seems the perfect chance for Enrique. 

tbh i dont think zog left back would be such a surprise, safety first

I think that'll be something like the line up personally.  The temptation to 'swamp the midfield', 'catch them on the break' and 'play the big man upfront' will be too much for Sam.  Unfortunately when the big man is Ameobi the wheels will probably come off but maybe he'll have one of his rare decent nights for us against all the odds, eh?

Guest Darth Toon

Maybe...

This is the most likely of all the options suggested so far I reckon, although if Emre doesn't make it we could see Ameobi up fornt and Smith back in midfield again.

Workrate and tackling will be the key, so Faye and Geremi will have very important roles in stopping Arsenal passing around us in midfield.

It is away from home and the Gooners hate to be kicked, that has always been what Sam has done when playing against them with Bolton, so I reckon Smith, Butt and Faye will all play..

------------------Given

Beye-----Taylor-------Roze.....Jose

------------------Faye

--Milner---------Butt---------Zoggy

--------Martins---------Smith

BENCH

Harper

Edgar

Geremi

Emre

Viduka

Would probably line up like this:

Given

Beye    Taylor    Faye    Enrique

Geremi      Butt        Milner

Martins      Smith    N’Zogbia

Give some players a run out/another 90mins. Aggressive defence, hard working midfield and pace in attack.