Newcastle Utd vs Everton (7th October, 15:00)

hakka

milner has played through the middle for the under 21s and, frankly, he looks nothing special there. he doesn't possess exceptional skill or first touch so finding space in the right areas is hard, he's not particularly strong either and he'll be up against hefty defensive midfielders in the premiership, not superb defensively and as for the vision to put through a good pass, he just doesn't have it. two benefits of having him there would be reducing the impact of his lack of pace, through playing as an attacking midfielder it is still a problem if you are slow, while we'd also be seeing more of his shooting which is one part of his game that is half-decent.

This is his 6th season. He has scored 13 goals in the league.

I think I'd stick to 4-3-3 for this one but not the same personnel.

Given

Beye Rozehnal Faye Enrique

Geremi Butt Emre

Martins Viduka N'Zogbia

I think that's got a decent balance to it, with Geremi and Martins able to go wide right if needed and same for Emre and Zog on the left.

Butt to play DF, or alternatively Smith.

By far the best team i've seen.

Given

Geremi Butt Emre

Martins Viduka N'Zogbia

I think that's got a decent balance to it, with Geremi and Martins able to go wide right if needed and same for Emre and Zog on the left.

Agreed

milner has played through the middle for the under 21s and, frankly, he looks nothing special there. he doesn't possess exceptional skill or first touch so finding space in the right areas is hard, he's not particularly strong either and he'll be up against hefty defensive midfielders in the premiership, not superb defensively and as for the vision to put through a good pass, he just doesn't have it. two benefits of having him there would be reducing the impact of his lack of pace, through playing as an attacking midfielder it is still a problem if you are slow, while we'd also be seeing more of his shooting which is one part of his game that is half-decent.

This is his 6th season. He has scored 13 goals in the league.

i know he doesn't score many but his actual shot is decent, not amazing, but one of his better attributes (not exactly a glowing reference!). often his lack of pace or exceptional skill means it is hard to get into the right areas on the edge of the box in which to take a shot, and he lacks variety in his game so the defenders know he is going to cut inside most of the time and can easily prepare to deal with this. look at how hard it is to get to the right part of the pitch to take a cross, for instance, he is hardly, if ever, ahead of the play and able, whilst moving, to swing in a powerful cross from the byline or final 12 yards. i think putting him in the middle, he may score more, though as i said in my previous post, he doesn't have the ability to make that role his natural position.

Given

Geremi Butt Emre

Martins Viduka N'Zogbia

Agreed

Would be interesting to see N'Zogbia in that inside wing position.

Other then that the formation does not get the best out of Martins while I think Viduka is better with a partner 12 yards off him making the runs in behind (Michael Owen or Martins)

The variations of 4-3-3 and personal changes in the formation all won't get the best out or enough of our best attacking players.

I think it will be a mistake to continue with 4-3-3 and not change to 4-4-2 in my opinion but without Michael Owen its likely Big Sam will go with 4-3-3 just such a waste playing Martins deep and wide I feel.

Bit early.. but the threads are getting a bit stale and this is a big match too.

line-ups

predictions

i think we'll play the same old formation but hopefully with zog now in as a winger.

i'd say 1-1.. but a win isn't completely impossible of course

2-0 to the boys.  Everton had to work hard in midweek for their win against Mentalist Car-keys and it's a fair old flight back aswell.  I'll get to this one as it's the last game left on my mate's season ticket before he comes back onshore.

Given

Geremi Butt Emre

Martins Viduka N'Zogbia

Agreed

Would be interesting to see N'Zogbia in that inside wing position.

Other then that the formation does not get the best out of Martins while I think Viduka is better with a partner 12 yards off him making the runs in behind (Michael Owen or Martins)

The variations of 4-3-3 and personal changes in the formation all won't get the best out or enough of our best attacking players.

I think it will be a mistake to continue with 4-3-3 and not change to 4-4-2 in my opinion but without Michael Owen its likely Big Sam will go with 4-3-3 just such a waste playing Martins deep and wide I feel.

Martins wouldn't be deep, he would be playing forward off Viduka, same as Zog. He would be expected to pull wide, but he does that in any case, like most mobile forwards. Geremi would also be supporting down the right when attacking, then tucking in when we lose possession.

The other alternative is to go 4-4-2 with Milner wide right but I'd like to see what Geremi and Martins would bring to that side.

It would look more like this in reality:

Given

Butt

Geremi              Emre

Martins                    N'Zogbia

Viduka

Guest newcastle4life

Given

Beye Rozehnal Cacapa/Faye Enrique

Milner Geremi Emre Zoggy

Martins  Viduka

2-0 win toon both martins and viduka to score.

Guest Guinness

We need to win these games if we realistically want to challenge for Europe. Everton should be tired after their UEFA Cup game and we need to exploit that. I'd like to see us go at them so here's hoping the Smith, Butt, Geremi midfield is abolished.

Unless there is a new injury (as rumoured for Smith), N'Zogbia, Taylor, Emre, Carr, Barton and Owen dont start if the hypothesis of the Orange Bib Theory proves to be correct.

Isn't that Dan Brown's latest book?