Alan Smith

Dave

Guest toonlass

Smith was class tonight up front, he hassled, he harried, he got every header. He needed someone up with him who can read the game, Owen would be great with him. Would like to see him and Viduka as the main two upfront at some point. They have played together quite successfully before.

It's like a scales falling from thousands of eyes. :lol:

:jesuswept:  It was Smith's type of game. I can think of a certain cockney central midfielder who was always immense against Arsenal. Still didn't do enough for the rest of the time.

I feel for the bloke tbh.

He's getting played out of position every week and it's not helping him.

Surely everyone can see this and not slate him so much aye ?

You see, play him in his proper position and that's what you will get from him  O0

Will be spoilt for choice who's errant anti-Smith rants to dig up first. lol

Be a bit silly to do that after one game wouldn't it? That itself would be a knee-jerk reaction to one good performance.

I think play him up front or not at all is the general message for Allardyce and one he's hopefully learned.

Will be spoilt for choice who's errant anti-Smith rants to dig up first. lol

Be a bit silly to do that after one game wouldn't it? That itself would be a knee-jerk reaction to one good performance.

Might as well, everyone else is doing it. Burn Jose Enrique and Cacapa at the stake!

Smith was class tonight up front, he hassled, he harried, he got every header. He needed someone up with him who can read the game, Owen would be great with him. Would like to see him and Viduka as the main two upfront at some point. They have played together quite successfully before.

A major reason as to why he should be preferred upfront everytime, ahead of the lazy & immobile Viduka, with Owen or Martins as his strikepartner. It's been my opinion for quite some time.

Guest nufc_geordie

Alan Smith was awesome last night. Put a goalscorer beside him that can get in behind and can anticipate flick ons and there is a promising partnership to be had. One thing that really annoyed me last night was that by half time it was clear that Toure didn't want to know with Smith. Everytime the ball went to him, Toure either backed off or lost the flick on header. A good partner alongside him would have cottoned on to this and anticipated the flicks and made runs off the ball. Martins was on his heels constantly giving Smith either no lay off of nobody in behind for the flick. I reckon Little Mickey when fit, even wityhout that extra yard of pace, would have created two or three chances (or half chances) from these scraps off Smith.

Think it's obvious for all to see that he's 100% better in that forward role. The long-ball was getting a bit repetetive in the first half, but for once we had a big man who could actually win them, so it wasn't so frustrating.

What people are failing to realise is that if Smith is occupying a forward position--in place of Viduka--that's one less goal-scorer we have on the pitch. It might work, but goals win you just as many games as graft.

What people are failing to realise is that if Smith is occupying a forward position--in place of Viduka--that's one less goal-scorer we have on the pitch. It might work, but goals win you just as many games as graft.

He's more of a creator of goals tbf. A lack of goals will always be his problem though.

True, but if you can't win/keep the ball in the opposition's half you can have 11 goalscorers on the pitch, wont make a difference. Plus I'm sure he will weigh in with goals if he plays there all the time, he's never been prolific but give him a season and he'll get 10-15 I would have thought.