Berbatov slept with Shearer

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

............on the back of his shirt

I know this topic was discussed last year and even featured on Football focus. Would people still have him now, bearing in mind we would still have to part with about 20mil+?

Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov grew up as a mad Newcastle United fan.

The Bulgaria international grew up worshipping Alan Shearer - and slept in a No 9 Newcastle shirt!

Berba's mum Margarita, 45, a former champion handball player, recalls how the Shearer shirt became her boy's prized possession.

She told The Sun: "Dimitar wore this shirt all the time.

"He even used to sleep in his Newcastle shirt! It's that special to him.

"Dimitar told me it was his dream to play for Newcastle United one day and wear the same shirt as Alan Shearer, who is my son's hero.

"Shearer was a major inspiration for him to work hard for himself and the team. He liked the fact that Alan Shearer scored goals but was not a selfish player.

"Dimitar thinks this shirt may even have been a sign he was meant to play in England."

His old schoolmate Mario Bekov, who has known Berbatov for 20 years, said his admiration for the former Toon ace bordered on obsession.

He said: "Dimitar never missed a Newcastle game when it was on television. And Shearer was up there with Pele as a God for him."

Another pal, Stefan Damianov, recalled how Berbatov considered himself to be an honorary Geordie as he followed the Toon and grew up in a mining region of Blagoevgrad.

He said: "People in this part of Bulgaria like the Newcastle team especially and identify themselves with the football-mad culture of the people there and loyalty to the team."

Roeder was stupid not to sign him last summer.

Thats abit harsh

Not really. If Berbatov likes Newcastle that much, knowing that we needed a Shearer replacement, I'm sure he was touted to us, and he eventually went to Spurs at a very good price.

Guest mobiius

cant see him coming here tbh.

although its more likely than it was this time last year when it was on footy focus

i personally think that all it would take to get him, is Big Al in his capacity as  a Toon ambassador to speak to the lad and sell him newcastle and he would jump at the chance, he would be a 10x better signing than vids and by all accounts he would be fulfilling a boyhood dream otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing this.

cant see him coming here tbh.

although its more likely than it was this time last year when it was on footy focus

i personally think that all it would take to get him, is Big Al in his capacity as  a Toon ambassador to speak to the lad and sell him newcastle and he would jump at the chance, he would be a 10x better signing than vids and by all accounts he would be fulfilling a boyhood dream otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing this.

All it would take is a big fat pay cheque, a top 4 club in the champions league, and the possibility of winning a trophy or two imo.  There's precious little sentiment in football these days especially from foreigners

He's a good player but like the majority of Spurs players he's massively overrated in the media, he was only having a decent season up until he came off the bench against Fulham and scored two and that was when the media wankfest really took off.

Van Persie's a better player and was last season too before he got injured.

“Dimitar told me it was his dream to play for Newcastle United one day and wear the same shirt as Alan Shearer, who is my son’s hero."

The ITK's have confirmed his mum has admitted she was confused and it was in fact a Spurs Chris Armstrong shirt.