Newcastle 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 22/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 17

James

How good were Enrique's 2 balls to Martins  :kasper:

From back to front in one pass.

When it comes off, people love it. When it doesn't come off, it's 'long ball rubbish'. Can't have it both ways.

Emre needs to stop getting the ball from the centre back, there's then nothing on as Butt's movement obviously isn't the best, meaning the next pass is a long one to the two upfront who are isolated even if they do win it.

Also, Enrique's long balls and vision has been excellent, the ball for the goal was probably his worst. Puts it just in the right place to give the forward a chance, good stuff.

When it comes off, people love it. When it doesn't come off, it's 'long ball rubbish'. Can't have it both ways.

it's "came off" about 3 times, one of them resulting in a goal, so far which isn't a bad return. on the downside it means we will lose the ball a lot and fail to build on possession, tho thankfully the likes of butt and emre have been well positioned to collect Spurs' clearances.

When you've got a left peg like Enrique it's alreet. When it's just lumped up it's not so good.

You can see why they're in the bottom 3. Dawson is hopeless. They look shite at the back, absolutely woeful effort. Not helped at the other end by Tainio and Bent barely touching the ball. I'll be staggered if Berbatov isn't off the bench at the start of the 2nd half. Newcastle easily better side without playing particularly well, too many hoofs, but NZogbia (Mot1/2) and Martins too much for them to handle.

Quite a lot of the half it seemed like he had nothing to aim at in front of him, although N'Zogbia has been in the game and done alright. Not a fan of Butt, but he's done well. Emre has been busy. The defense has looked very confident, one of the highlights for me is how many times the ball has been hoofed towards our back line and the defender has chested it down and played the ball out. Too many long balls from the full backs though, especially early on.

still think spurs have a goal in them, even tho they've had no good play theyve still fashioned one or two freak chances against the run of play. now that they start commiting players i think we'll create more, hopefully we'll put those chances away.

Ditto. They have pace and decent passers of the ball still.

45 mins: GOAL MARTINS. Jose Enrique's long ball is met by Martins who outmuscles Dawson before calmly sloting the ball past Cerny from 10 yards. Newcastle deserve their lead and you have to worry for Spurs if they cannot defend long ball's that would be cleared by most Sunday league defences.

From football live commentary, didn't they use to say similar things about us?

Emre needs to stop getting the ball from the centre back, there's then nothing on as Butt's movement obviously isn't the best, meaning the next pass is a long one to the two upfront who are isolated even if they do win it.

Agreed. That's part of his game that needs ironing out.

He's had three very good balls for Martins, two of which he caught.

Been a half-decent game so far, nothing special really. Zoggy's been good, as has Faye and Beye. A bit disappointed with Emre, he hasn't been bad at all, but he hasn't shined like he can. Saying that, we've dominated the midfield, Jenas has been absolutely shite.

Players need to move more for Enrique, poor lad seems very one footed and is a bit lost at times when bringing the ball out. 2 great passed though and has done well at the back.

This wasn't a dig at the lad btw, he just definitely needs more movement ahead of him.

Great first half for us. I don't know why there seems to be some negativity in here. We've outplayed them, outpassed them and outhustled them so far. Nicky Butt has been really good. Emre's a bit quiet but he's had his touches. Similar story with Zoggy but he's been really active and trying to create something. Geremi is slow :lol: Anyway, even though we haven't had the best individual performances, the key thing is we've been awesome as a team, especially the midfield and defence. Martins and Owen also look threatening. Owen's link up play is really top-drawer. I echo Keef's statement - Owen's a class act. Oba's looked the most threatening of our players so far and everytime a long ball is hoofed up, we actually have a shot at scoring a goal because of his pace. Great half from the boy.

Hopefully Spurs will come out more in the second half because I really do see us scoring a couple more if they have to push on. Lets not concede early and I think we'll be home and dry.

Great first half for us. I don't know why there seems to be some negativity in here. We've outplayed them, outpassed them and outhustled them so far. Nicky Butt has been really good. Emre's a bit quiet but he's had his touches. Similar story with Zoggy but he's been really active and trying to create something. Geremi is slow :lol: Anyway, even though we haven't had the best individual performances, the key thing is we've been awesome as a team, especially the midfield and defence. Martins and Owen also look threatening. Owen's link up play is really top-drawer. I echo Keef's statement - Owen's a class act. Oba's looked the most threatening of our players so far and everytime a long ball is hoofed up, we actually have a shot at scoring a goal because of his pace. Great half from the boy.

Hopefully Spurs will come out more in the second half because I really do see us scoring a couple more if they have to push on. Lets not concede early and I think we'll be home and dry.

His general play is very underrated I find.