Faye and Cacapa

James

Guest Guinness

I've been very impressed by Cacapa so far, he just seems to be a natural defender, good positional sense and calm under pressure. Faye also looked quality yesterday, he's very strong in the air and at tackling, his power is a great asset when attacking set pieces as shown when he hit the bar.

potentially the end of taylors time here.

Not concerned with this tbh.

i am - i think taylor will be a great player, just needs time to develop.

that said, i was absolutely delighted by our central pairing yesterday - the best i've seen in years for us!

He won't like. Lots of people seem to want him to be (understandably) but he simply doesn't have it. Time to develop into a great? He's nearly 22 man. We had the same s*** with James Milner last season. Both are decent squad players. The sooner people lower their expectations the better - for both club and player. Then we might see him concentrating on his own game rather the Captain Fantastic routine with the inevitable arm to the left and associated f***-up.

He has the chance to learn from Cacapa, Faye and Rohzenal and I hope he takes it. He needs to.

what is it that he simply doesn't have?

and just for the record, most defenders improve greatly at his age. i think he can and will as well.

the only sense you make is that he needs to learn from our more experienced cb's...

If only the same could be said about our backs. Cacapa and Faye have been fantastic,

but enrique and beye simply awful.

And what's up with Geremi taking most of the set-pieces ? He should just leave it to Emre.

He's sh!t technically, and his set-pieces have been pretty bad. Emre's corner was pretty beautiful,

which led to Cacapa's header.Also, before Emre went to take the corner it was beautiful to see the supporters clap for him and him clapping back, it makes it even more meaningful that it led to a goal.

All in all, pretty encouraging. I said it a couple weeks ago that with the additions of Emre, Barton and Co. we'll get better and better every day. I'm looking forward to the day that Emre and Barton can play together, that'll make a pretty good duo. Now all we need is to fix the back problem, Enrique is decent compared to Beye, who was just horrible.

Also, Owen has been amazing. I love the way he played, helping the defence, distributing the ball,

I think the likes of Nzogbia and Martins should learn a thing or two from the man. Nzogbia needs to learn to pass and stop dribbling continuously at every possession.

Enrique aweful? did you see him yesterday? beautiful long balls to Oba, and a very solid performance overall. Cant really see Emre playing together with Barton in the middle with Butt playing as well as he does at the moment. Cant really see the praise you give for Owen either. Looks ok, but the lack of the old pace just takes away the edge of his game. Would have loved to see him go in January, being replaced with Anelka.

Guest Stephen927

I'm loving our new look back four, a drastic improvement from last season.

Cacapa looks a class above any central defender we've had in the last 10 years or so, Rozehnal hasn't really done anything wrong but it's great to have these options and competition for places in the back four, instead of not having any options either due to injuries or not bringing the bodies in.

Very pleased with what Big Sam has done so far, there's been a few ugly games like Derby but we've reacted well and had a very good start to the season.

potentially the end of taylors time here.

Not concerned with this tbh.

i am - i think taylor will be a great player, just needs time to develop.

that said, i was absolutely delighted by our central pairing yesterday - the best i've seen in years for us!

He won't like. Lots of people seem to want him to be (understandably) but he simply doesn't have it. Time to develop into a great? He's nearly 22 man. We had the same s*** with James Milner last season. Both are decent squad players. The sooner people lower their expectations the better - for both club and player. Then we might see him concentrating on his own game rather the Captain Fantastic routine with the inevitable arm to the left and associated f***-up.

He has the chance to learn from Cacapa, Faye and Rohzenal and I hope he takes it. He needs to.

what is it that he simply doesn't have?

and just for the record, most defenders improve greatly at his age. i think he can and will as well.

the only sense you make is that he needs to learn from our more experienced cb's...

Pace, composure and positioning for a start. I agree he should get better over time but I don't think he'll ever be as good as some suggest. He has bags of first team experience, which some people tend to neglect when they big up his 'potential', and you'd think he would have cut out the mistakes more if he was going to be that great, bearing that in mind. As I've said before, I would love him to prove me wrong but he's definitely the number 4 centre-half at the club now.

Alan Oliver summed up his footballing knowledge in the Chronicle yesterday when he admitted he'd never heard of Cacapa before we signed him...unbelievable. :lol:

Shay Given's gone one better!! From the Journal this morning...

The 31-year-old Brazilian scored his first goal for the Magpies against Spurs on Monday night, but Given is more impressed with his ability at the other end of the pitch.

He said: “I’ve been trying to learn Spanish to help with the communication side of things, but I tried to speak to Caçapa in Spanish and had forgotten they speak Portuguese in Brazil. He just gave me a blank look. It obviously hasn’t been very successful so far but I’m working on it.

;D ;D

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/10/25/given-we-will-entertain-you-61634-20004754/

Rozenhal will get plenty of games if anyone gets injured, he can fill in for Butt also.

I think Rozehnal will eventually play in midfield in place of Butt in the longterm.

I have to admit to being a bit sceptical about his ability to play there at first but I think you may well be correct.

Alan Oliver summed up his footballing knowledge in the Chronicle yesterday when he admitted he'd never heard of Cacapa before we signed him...unbelievable. :lol:

The 31-year-old Brazilian scored his first goal for the Magpies against Spurs on Monday night, but Given is more impressed with his ability at the other end of the pitch.

He said: Ive been trying to learn Spanish to help with the communication side of things, but I tried to speak to Caçapa in Spanish and had forgotten they speak Portuguese in Brazil. He just gave me a blank look. It obviously hasnt been very successful so far but Im working on it.

;D ;D

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/10/25/given-we-will-entertain-you-61634-20004754/

I'm being a pendantic tool here, but wasn't it the 95-96 team which were the entertainers, and not the 96-97 which is alluded to in the article?

He said: “I’ve been trying to learn Spanish to help with the communication side of things, but I tried to speak to Caçapa in Spanish and had forgotten they speak Portuguese in Brazil. He just gave me a blank look. It obviously hasn’t been very successful so far but I’m working on it.

;D ;D

They showed a clip of an interview with Shay the other night on Look North asking if he knew how to pronounce Cacapa, he said something along the lines of "You're asking an Irishman? I don't know, Gazpacho or something, he sounds like a salad." :lol:

He said: Ive been trying to learn Spanish to help with the communication side of things, but I tried to speak to Caçapa in Spanish and had forgotten they speak Portuguese in Brazil. He just gave me a blank look. It obviously hasnt been very successful so far but Im working on it.

;D ;D

They showed a clip of an interview with Shay the other night on Look North asking if he knew how to pronounce Cacapa, he said something along the lines of "You're asking an Irishman? I don't know, Gazpacho or something, he sounds like a salad." :lol:

:lol: :lol:

We were already called the entertainers before the 95-96 season iirc.

Richard Keys dubbed us the entertainers in our first season back in the prem. After the game away against Oldham, where we won 1-3. Going a goal down first then coming back to win.

We were already called the entertainers before the 95-96 season iirc.

Richard Keys dubbed us the entertainers in our first season back in the prem. After the game away against Oldham, where we won 1-3. Going a goal down first then coming back to win.

Correct.

Guest Steven_MB

;D ;D

that article says "With a Frenchman, a Spaniard, a Brazilian and a Senegalese against Spurs," Surely two senegalese and no frenchies in defence?

i watched about 20minutes of the training today and faye looked outstanding once again

cacapa was playing at right back

smith done fuck all, viduka wasnt training, martins missed hundreds of sitters

i suppose it doesnt matter but ...  :razz:

;D ;D

that article says "With a Frenchman, a Spaniard, a Brazilian and a Senegalese against Spurs," Surely two senegalese and no frenchies in defence?

Faye was born in Dakar, Senagal. Beye was born in France.