Reading 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 10

James

Ratings:

Given - 5 - Didn't have much to do, but his kicking under pressure was awful and almost caused an own goal with Cacapa

Beye - 6 - Wasn't too bad but again seems to get caught out of position a lot.

Enrique - 6 - Too slow on the ball and gave it away a lot but at least got forward and attempted some crosses.

Cacapa - 5 - Tries to play his way out of trouble every time and also thinks he has 10 minutes to pick a pass. Almost scored a horrific own goal. Dreadful in the air under pressure too.

Faye - 7 - Probably the only respectable performance from the defence today.

Emre - 7 - Poor first half out of position, but once put in the center he was the only one trying to make things happen

Barton - 5 - Invisible first half, slightly more visible second half

Geremi - 5 - Halts play a lot and delivered some dreadful set pieces

Butt - 5 - Doesn't play as well away from home. Too slow.

Martins - 6 - Caused some problems but didn't have much to work with.

Owen - 5 - Alienated. Things just didn't go for him this match.

Subs:

N'Zogbia - 5 - Mostly invisible bar one run and shot.

Smith - 6 - Made a difference by giving the team a target up front but ultimately couldn't do much with the general shit performance of the team.

Milner - 6 - More width on the right hand side made a difference in our brief dominant spell.

Saw the second half - disgraceful.

Taking Martins off = dispicable decision.

And, oh, we brought Enrique in to be a long-ball merchant did we? Nice one. :thup:

To be fair, Martins was having a shitter.

Disagree entirely. Other than N'Zogbia, he was the only one who actually wanted the ball, and could beat men.

As for Owen - aye, he did absolutely fuck all. To be expected when we're playing long ball, though.

We've got no chance of making a push for the UEFA Cup unless we start picking up some points. To take 1point from Boro, Reading and Derby is not good enough.

To be fair, Martins was having a shitter. Got a text from a mate at the ground who said he had a niggle as well.

Have to say, i'm a massive Allardyce fan, but he got it totally wrong today.

To be fair to Martins, he didn't have much of a chance because of the way the team was set up.

To be fair, Martins was having a shitter. Got a text from a mate at the ground who said he had a niggle as well.

Have to say, i'm a massive Allardyce fan, but he got it totally wrong today.

To be fair to Martins, he didn't have much of a chance because of the way the team was set up.

Yeah, and even so, he got the ball from deep and actually ran with it/tried to do something. Couldn't believe it when he went off. Lots of boos again and understandably so.

Allardyce on SSN, saying we were shit for the winning goal...credit to Reading...not the prettiest of games...we didn't cope with their game...they worked hard...made life difficult for us...mentioned not keeping a clean sheet again.

Looks pissed off about their second goal.

Shite result and shite performance by all accounts.  I do not agree with playing a defensive minded strategy, especially against shite teams.  Does this mean we will play the following away to the big 4:

Taylor  Rozenhal  Cacapa  Enrique

Baye  Butt  Faye

Milner Barton Zog ??????????????????

Fook that - about time we played the same away from home.  Ok we will get whipped now and again (look at City) but we will definately win more than we will lose.

That said, I still think we are in a FAR better place righ now than we have been in for years. Give the man a chance people. 

Allardyce on SSN...mentioned not keeping a clean sheet again.

should probably be more concerned with things at the other end of the pitch, keeping the ball and presenting a threat ourselves. if we set out to defend for 90 mins then why should we act suprised when the opposition ends up attacking for 90 mins?

Allardyce on SSN, saying we were s*** for the winning goal...credit to Reading...not the prettiest of games...we didn't cope with their game...they worked hard...made life difficult for us...mentioned not keeping a clean sheet again.

Looks pissed off about their second goal.

Allardyce must have been in a tiny minority if he thought that we were going to do much with the team he put out today.  I'm sure if we'd gone out against Reading the way we went out against Spurs then the result would have been different.  Football is a simple game, you play to your strengths, we seem to forget that and change things away from home when we're playing teams we should be pissing on.

Guest toonlass

Reading deserved to win, if Century was anything to go off. We just seemed to be so negative, no-one really tested the Reading defenders or keeper. Geremi sounded lost on the right and he Sam needs to attack more away from home. We could have done with Charlie Zog and Milner on from the start and really attacked them. Hope Sam does take notice of what happened here and takes it into the other away games that we have coming up.

just hoofing it up to smith according to kamara, no real football being played.

This can't be right, I was under the impression that we become a far better team when Smith is on the pitch?

It must be right because I read it on here the other week. :undecided:

just hoofing it up to smith according to kamara, no real football being played.

This can't be right, I was under the impression that we become a far better team when Smith is on the pitch?

It must be right because I read it on here the other week. :undecided:

Circumstances?

I agree with everything that's been said so far about the midfield but I think the defense were just as culpable. Two very poor goals to concede from long balls pumped into our box that we just failed to deal with. The distribution from the back was poor also IMO, several occasions where we gave the ball away so cheaply. Lucky for us, Reading wasted quite a few good chances, Lita could've easily had a brace.