Reading 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 10

James

So if Barton plays every game in the middle as our ACM then who gets the slot alongside him when we are away from home? Geremi or Butt.

Butt is poor away from home, Geremi has been poor home and away since the pre-season.

I would try Roze there. blueyes.gif

So if Barton plays every game in the middle as our ACM then who gets the slot alongside him when we are away from home? Geremi or Butt.

Butt is poor away from home, Geremi has been poor home and away since the pre-season.

I suppose he is our most footballing CB but Faye has played more in CM than Roze.

I suppose he is our most footballing CB but Faye has played more in CM than Roze.

Roze would be a better option than butt away. Looks good on the ball and works very hard. Also puts some height in the middle.

Faye then! :lol:

Anyone but clumsy and clumsier. :razz:

Jesus fucking Christ.

Sorry like, but calling for a manager's head after five months is monumentally stupid, regardless of whether or not you like his style of play (up to now), and is indicative of the exact attitude that is holding the club back. It's the same attitude that is applied to players (normally foreign) after two poor games upon signing.

Allardyce has had one transfer window, and limited funds, to get in the players he needs. We all know that "the players he needs" was practically referential to an entirely new first-team when he first arrived. Now it's been narrowed down to a creative midfielder and a wide-man, for me. That, right there, is progress. It may not be gelling together perfectly yet, but the damage that has been done to this team in the last three years cannot possibly be repaired in 1/7th of that time. And if we keep chopping and changing managers, it won't be repaired in double that time.

The impatience of football fans at times is absolutely mind-blowing.

:thup:

Spot on.

The fact of the matter is that your average football fan these days is stupid, at least when it comes to football anyway.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Sorry like, but calling for a manager's head after five months is monumentally stupid, regardless of whether or not you like his style of play (up to now), and is indicative of the exact attitude that is holding the club back. It's the same attitude that is applied to players (normally foreign) after two poor games upon signing.

Allardyce has had one transfer window, and limited funds, to get in the players he needs. We all know that "the players he needs" was practically referential to an entirely new first-team when he first arrived. Now it's been narrowed down to a creative midfielder and a wide-man, for me. That, right there, is progress. It may not be gelling together perfectly yet, but the damage that has been done to this team in the last three years cannot possibly be repaired in 1/7th of that time. And if we keep chopping and changing managers, it won't be repaired in double that time.

Spot on.

The fact of the matter is that your average football fan these days is stupid, at least when it comes to football anyway.

Andy may be right but that post was in response to jack j who i think went to his first game in the early 60's.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Spot on.

Andy may be right but that post was in response to jack j who i think went to his first game in the early 60's.

SA is proving to be mind numbingly predictable though. Too much heading as a player?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Spot on.

You're thinking of jackyboy!

jack j is the one who always bites to Crumpy's wind ups. :)

You're as fickle as anyone on here, Parky.

Yes and you are the paragon of stablility something I can only aspire to.

I think my comments have been measured so far. Not calling for his head am I?

Never claimed I was, never claimed you did.

I'm angry at his attitude to away games against poor sides that is all. I think you are as well as are many others and I think imo we have a right to be. There are many other good things he's doing in the background and he shows all the signs of constructing a good base and paying close attention to detail and preparing the side. But it is clear he gave out the wrong signals to the side (and the opposition) before the Reading game. It is also clear he is stubborn and lacklustre regarding selection and hasn't adapted (yet) to the 'bigger club' environment and expectations...This will be the undoing of him, and it isn't something I want to happen.

I'm angry at his attitude to away games against poor sides that is all. I think you are as well as are many others and I think imo we have a right to be. There are many other good things he's doing in the background and he shows all the signs of constructing a good base and paying close attention to detail and preparing the side. But it is clear he gave out the wrong signals to the side (and the opposition) before the Reading game. It is also clear he is stubborn and lacklustre regarding selection and hasn't adapted (yet) to the 'bigger club' environment and expectations...This will be the undoing of him, and it isn't something I want to happen.

Touché.

Best post yet - sums up my feelings completely.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Spot on.

You're thinking of jackyboy!

jack j is the one who always bites to Crumpy's wind ups. :)

???

Will all the drama queens just shut the f*** up, you support your team through thick and thin and we will  loose some and win some, that's football get over it! the problem as I see Sam wants to play his beloved 4-3-3 system and we don't have that many players who can play in that system, I can probably see if these guys can't adapt he'll be selling them come next summer and only then will Sam make his mark on this team until then we are going to loose some and win, but one thing is for sure we will be in a better position in the league  come the end of the season than what we were under Roeder or Souness.

If we don't have the players to go 4-3-3 then why do it?  It would seem that only one person thinks that it's a formation that's going to work, most see it as three points lost before a ball is kicked.

6 players out of the 11 who started were brought to the club by Allardyce so it was basically his team that he put out yesterday.  I think that's enough for him to have made his mark.

Jesus f****** Christ.

I agree that calling for his head this early is stupid and he has done a lot of good.  That's no reason for him to go into games that we should be winning and instead trying to get a draw.  It's not a one-off either, we did the same against Derby and it failed then the same as it did yesterday.  Sending the players out to get a draw and then getting beat is not going to help the players gel, if anything they'll go away from home expecting to get beat.  We should play to our strengths, our strengths are not trying to hold out for 0-0 at the bottom teams who are themselves low on confidence, we should be ripping into them.

Derby were shitting themselves for the first half hour, the home fans could have been in a library for all the noise they made but as the game went on you could hear the noise level increase as the players began to realise that we had nothing to offer up front, Reading saw the team that we put out and must have got a lift from the start.

No team is going to see our away teamsheet and worry about us, they'll look at it and think they've got a good chance of beating us if they get a goal and will go all out to do that, they'll get a lift before we've even kicked a ball.

Guest Sniffer

It's becoming more and more apparent why Fat Sam was not appointed England manager. Seeing him slumped in his seat with 6 minutes to go was more reminiscent of souness than a supposedly highly acclaimed manager. I doubt if the likes of Moyes would have thrown in the towel so soon.

This team has as much idea and consistency as those under roeder and souness. No better, no worse. And we haven't played a good team yet.

Guest Sniffer

Not so. we haven't played good football this entire season. We've resorted to hefting the ball up the middle as our only tactic and Fat Sam has been cut some slack because he is new. This football we are seeing is no better than what we saw under the previuos two managers. It's shite and unless he changes it he won't last at the Toon. It's one thing to play shite and win.....that'll keep him in a job. He won't last if this is the best he can come up with and I doubt if Ashley will tolerate it. And for the amount of money he's spent he shouldn't have to.

It's becoming more and more apparent why Fat Sam was not appointed England manager. Seeing him slumped in his seat with 6 minutes to go was more reminiscent of souness than a supposedly highly acclaimed manager. I doubt if the likes of Moyes would have thrown in the towel so soon.

This team has as much idea and consistency as those under roeder and souness. No better, no worse. And we haven't played a good team yet.

You must have a short memory. The football under Roeder and Souness was dire and average at the best of times. The only games in which we've compared to Souness and Roeder are Reading, Derby, and maybe Villa at home.

But it's early days.

ps. You'd be slumped in your seat if you'd just seen your team concede a goal that should have, and probably would have, been dealt with 9/10 times.

So that would be one third of the games we've played in the league then?

Who said we were trying to get a draw?

I know sam said he would be happy with nil nil, but he was merely meaning that he would be happy with nil nil if it meant we defended well away from home.

I'm 99.9999999% sure we were trying to win both the Reading and the Derby game, but a mixture of poor passing, and an inability to keep possesion cost us.

He didn't directly say he was playing for a draw but he did say that a point would have been a good result.  A draw is better than a defeat but Reading had lost twice as many as they'd won before yeaterday.

Reading have the worst defensive record in the Premiership yet we were worried about them scoring, something they'd only managed to do 12 times before yesterday while they'd let in 22 goals before yesterday.  Only three teams have scored more than us, one is Portsmouth who scored 7 in one game, they did that against the team we played yesterday.

I agree that we lost against Derby and Reading because of poor passing and an inability to retain posession, I doubt that would have been the case if we'd gone out to get at them.

I'm sorry but I say a draw would have been a could result and would have represented progress.

I'm still very much of the opinion that we're making progress, but slowly.

NUFC.com but it well..... "Two steps forward, one step back".

I would agree today that a draw would have been a good result but I wouldn't have before the game, I don't know if that makes me fickle, I see it more as looking at the two situations at different times.  It's a bit like me not wanting to win £10 on the lottery last night but being happy with it today as I had none of the numbers.

I also agree that we're making progress, or at least it looks as if we are off the pitch, I don't see any progress away from home and can't see any in the near future if we go out with the same formation as we have so far away from home, I really hope I'm wrong about away form.

Not so. we haven't played good football this entire season. We've resorted to hefting the ball up the middle as our only tactic and Fat Sam has been cut some slack because he is new. This football we are seeing is no better than what we saw under the previuos two managers. It's s**** and unless he changes it he won't last at the Toon. It's one thing to play s**** and win.....that'll keep him in a job. He won't last if this is the best he can come up with and I doubt if Ashley will tolerate it. And for the amount of money he's spent he shouldn't have to.

What a load of s****!

We played good football against Spurs, Everton, Wigan, Man City (first half), Bolton (first half), and West Ham.

If you were to say we haven't played good football away from home then I'd mostly agree with you, but you're talking absolute tripe to say we haven't played good football at all this season.

Just typical murmourings of a impatient fan....

you are confusing "playing good football" with "playing marginally better than the opposition".  even V citeh when we were a goal up we were hardly much the better team.

Glad I was away this weekend, tbh. It seems we were utterly hopeless on the road, yet again. I said the formation was bizarre and I've honestly no idea what Sam was trying to do. However, even individually, it seems our players just aren't doing the business away from home.

Guest Sniffer

I'd say hindu is just confused but I actually think he doesn't know good football from bad. With the exception of the first half aginst Bolton I don't think we've " looked good " in any of our games. Then I didn't expect Bolton to be so bad and everybody took them to the cleaners.

I'd ask the question, although we have points and bearing in mind we haven't played a good team this season, how many people can actually say that they have come out of a match... or watched one on the telly...and been happy with the performance.? Happy with the quality of the football we've just played? Some good individual goals and performances but the football has been shite overall.

Spurs were rubbish and we barely beat them. Everton weren't much better and had just flown in from God knows where in the early hours of the morning after a UEFA cup game and we barely beat them. Man City skinned us. Reading could easily have beaten us by three goals if they weren't as bad as us.