Reading 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 10

James

that was one of the most inept performances i have seen from a newcastle team even worse than roeder. you play for a draw and you get nothing fat sam. Also why can't he see that our best performances are when we have 2 wingers not 2 central midfielders playing on the wing. He will not be here long if that his attitude you just had to listen to people who have followed the toon for years yesterday and you can tell not many will put up with that shiiite. Yesterday was more of fat corrupt sam's fault than the players

Even worse was the fact that reading is a total shithole the stewards were like mini hitlers and in side the ground they didn't serve beer

FAT SAM OUT

I can't believe he is so blind to the state of our away form. We need to attack teams like Reading, Derby and yes even Citeh etc etc

Setting our stall out for a draw with no wingers and 4 CM's and hoping to nick a goal reminds me of Soumess ffs!!

How can someone get it so right at home and so wrong away is beyond me. he needs to sort this soon or he'll not last till the end of the season. Raves on about Fergie and how good he is, i'm sure he won't come to Reading pack the midfield playing for a draw hoping to nick it, nor will any of the bigger decent teams for that matter.

SORT YOUR BLOODY HEAD OUT SAM, ITS SOUMESS LIKE AND DISGRACEFULL!!! PLAY TO OUR STRENGTHS AND ATTACK FFS!!

FAT SAM OUT

oboy!

Please can´t you stop with comments like that? He has been her in 5 months now and already you want to replace manager. That is not the solotion! It feels it was yeasterday everyone complaine at roeder, it feels it was yeasterday everyone wanted Souness out...

I hope Sam don´t get sacked. In fact I hope he at least run out his contract at three years. I definitley thinks hes the one. If don´t it want be better to sack him now!

Give him time like everyone other PL clubs gives their managers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fucking useless

we were nearly as bad as what we were at derby!!

nicky butt was by far the worst player on the pitch, even faye and cacapa looked shite all afternoon

lets hope we can pick it up otherwise we will get beat off the mackems  >:(

Will all the drama queens just shut the fuck up, you support your team through thick and thin and we will  loose some and win some, that's football get over it! the problem as I see Sam wants to play his beloved 4-3-3 system and we don't have that many players who can play in that system, I can probably see if these guys can't adapt he'll be selling them come next summer and only then will Sam make his mark on this team until then we are going to loose some and win, but one thing is for sure we will be in a better position in the league  come the end of the season than what we were under Roeder or Souness.

I think everyone but Sam can see that we should be using the 2 appropriate wide players.  They are the only ones who have shown any creativity or drive going fwds this season.  There is no exuse for playing 4 CM's against Reading, none whatsoever.   I think Milner and N'zogbia are easy options for Managers because of their age and the fact Milner isn't gonna whinge on about it.

What concerned me most was that Sam sat in the stand until half time when clearly we could have been 3 - 0 down by about 35 mins.  He should have dragged his ar$e down to the touchline and been telling them to wake up.  He has no problem barking the orders from the touchline at SJP, or is he just playing up?

Will we see changes next week.  Yes, he wouldn't dare leave Milner out at home.  I think Taylor and Rozenhal should be bending Sams ear as well this week going off yesterdays showing.

I don't have a problem playing a defensive line up away from home against better teams but I don't see how playing Emre on the left is going to achieve anything. He's not great defensively, he's not fast enough to play wide, his only strength is his vision and passing when he's played centrally.

BTW, Reading were absolute shite, a championship team like Derby who will bully a few mediocre sides but will get put to the sword by better teams. If we have any ambitions of Europe this season then we need to be going to places like Derby and Reading expecting nothing less than three points and the players we had available didn't warrant such a negative, fearful approach.

Guest andynufc84

Very poor performance but i'm still confident that Sam will get things right.

Nothing more to be added than that really, everything has already been said.

Sell Owen and get Anelka

After watching this abysmal performance, its hard to imagine where the next away win will come from .

We were playing a team who, although not favourites for relegation, should be beatable by a team which has ambitions of playing European football next season(who knows ? maybe Allardyce DOESN'T expect to be qualifying for Europe this season..!??).

Instead, Reading BY FAR deserved the win - we were so bad that I cannot remember their keeper making a decent save with the exception of Zog's long-distance effort late in the match, and a dive at Owen's feet which produced(pointless) claims for a pen.

Let's just think about this - we go to a side who have cost much less to assemble, one that is happy to remain in the PL, and basically think ourselves lucky to come away with a 1 goal defeat......

Is this where we should be ? I don't think so....

As I said after the Derby game, you don't mind losing so much when the side has given it everything and forced the opposition keeper into great saves, has hit the woodwork and attacked with any serious intent ; NONE of these things happened, either yesterday or at Derby.

The reasons ?

VERY poor team selection yesterday - dropping Zog & Milner surrendered the initiative straight away and gave Reading a psychological boost before the game even started ;- probably to accommodate -

Barton - may not be match-fit, but on yesterday's performance looks no better than a tidy midfield player who can make simple passes(which some of his colleagues can't!) - I expected more threat from him in support of the forwards - never materialised ;

Long Ball tactics - when we had 2 small strikers - this meant that around 70% of forward balls to Owen & Martins were gobbled up by Reading defenders  and the pressure came back immediately on to our midfield

& back 4 ;

Hurried and sloppy passing in midfield - as usual, far too many passes to a man being marked, resulting in loss of possession ;

Owen looked disinterested - I have supported him when people got on his back, but clearly something is wrong here - he could just as easily have been the one to go when Martins went off - perhaps he is getting p-----ed off about the style of play away from home as it must be soul-destroying as a striker ;

GEREMI - said before that Allardyce rushed into making him captain - and shouldn't have done so..

He was poor again yesterday, and slows our counter-attacking down hugely by his deliberate sideways & backwards passing which, although necessary sometimes, is happening too much. He lacks pace and this obsession with giving him all the deadballs to take is now ridiculous..

Because he is Captain, the manager is reluctant to drop him..

EMRE - said before he needs to improve away from SJP and this was another glaring example of his lack of influence in these games - spends too much time pretending to be injured instead of getting on with the game.

Even Capaca had an attack of the wobblies when he misdirected a pass to Given... the whole team looked disjointed and played as if they wouldn't create a decent chance if the game went on until Christmas.

I don't think that even the most blinkered fan on here thought we would be able to go to places like L/Pool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or even Everton etc expecting 3 points(or even 1) - but to go to Derby and Reading and be basically outplayed for all bar a 15 min spell in the first half is scraping the barrel .

I cannot believe that Ashley will find any more repeats of these debacles acceptable, but those calling for Allardyce's head are unlikely to get their wish ; much as we find these performances a pain, the club will have to live with the situation for some time, probably at least until the end of the season.

We have hired & fired too many managers in recent years to do so again without losing total credibility - MA was landed with the managerial situation prior to his taking over, and all he can do is to live with it for now - the decline of the club over the past 4 years has left us with a bitter legacy which is not going to be ended soon ; defeat at Sunderland looms as a very large possibility, simply because we handle high-tempo pressure from opposing teams very badly. Jones will have a field-day against our back 4 on yesterday's showing.

We will not get the players to alter this for some time,and one has to question the whole attitude of the current players in away fixtures , something which has been a blight on Newcastle sides for many years with the exception of KK's time here.

Very, very disappointing....

Its going to be a very up and down season, not convinced by Sam's tactics and personel selection, very impressed by what he says and other things he has been doing off the pitch.  I can accept getting a good whipping off the top boys at the moment but not sure how we can justify getting comprehensively (at times) outplayed by the likes of Reading.  We have better players on paper in each position and I am not sure why it is so difficult to get them to play well together away from home?

That being said, the time for me to judge him will be this time next year, two more transfer windows, time for his systems and back room initiatives to bed in and players getting used to the style that Sam wants.

Frustrating times for a while to come I think.

FAT SAM OUT

oboy!

Please can´t you stop with comments like that? He has been her in 5 months now and already you want to replace manager. That is not the solotion! It feels it was yeasterday everyone complaine at roeder, it feels it was yeasterday everyone wanted Souness out...

I hope Sam don´t get sacked. In fact I hope he at least run out his contract at three years. I definitley thinks hes the one. If don´t it want be better to sack him now!

Give him time like everyone other PL clubs gives their managers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it leaves you sick in the pit of your stomach when you have to travel that far back after that shite and i can tell you alot of older more experienced fans than me can't stand allardyce and his ways. he will not last long if that is his approach

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Have we ever played well in white shorts btw?

I recall a particular fixture at the Stadium of Light where we were alright...

We weren't, like.

We were abysmal and got lucky.

I always think of getting beat at Selhurst Park by Wimbledon every year when I see us in white. Hate it.

Didn't see the game, so don't know if we played well, but the 4-1 win over Sunderland was with white shorts

I recall a particular fixture at the Stadium of Light where we were alright...

We weren't, like.

We were abysmal and got lucky.

First half it looked like a Championship side vs a non league side, with us being the latter.

FAT SAM OUT

oboy!

it leaves you sick in the pit of your stomach when you have to travel that far back after that shite and i can tell you alot of older more experienced fans than me can't stand allardyce and his ways. he will not last long if that is his approach

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

Jesus fucking Christ.

Sorry like, but calling for a manager's head after five months is monumentally stupid, regardless of whether or not you like his style of play (up to now), and is indicative of the exact attitude that is holding the club back. It's the same attitude that is applied to players (normally foreign) after two poor games upon signing.

Allardyce has had one transfer window, and limited funds, to get in the players he needs. We all know that "the players he needs" was practically referential to an entirely new first-team when he first arrived. Now it's been narrowed down to a creative midfielder and a wide-man, for me. That, right there, is progress. It may not be gelling together perfectly yet, but the damage that has been done to this team in the last three years cannot possibly be repaired in 1/7th of that time. And if we keep chopping and changing managers, it won't be repaired in double that time.

The impatience of football fans at times is absolutely mind-blowing.

Lack of creative football again and its starting to look like the Owen and Martins partnership cannot work, we just do not have the right players to play behind them. Owen needs service and there was non, we cannot get on his back for not scoring goals when we do not create any chances for him. Martins can create a goal from nothing though and that is why he should be 1st choice.

Enrique needs to stop drifting in so much, our left flank is being left wide open at times, he is a decent player and a young lad that will learn but he is our only decent LB so lets hope he learns fast. The rest of the back four are decent players, Cacapa looks like a touch of class yet we are still conceding stupid goals.

Reading did to us what Derby did to us and that was get at us and not give us any time on the ball at all, we really seem to struggle when teams do that and its something Sam needs to address and fast!!

If we cannot start getting points away from home we are going to find it tough to stay in the top half of the table, Sam's Bolton could grind out results and he needs to get us doing that so we can at least defend a point if we are not creating.

Emre cannot play on the wing, Barton and Emre in the same lineup is a luxury we cannot afford unless we are at home and need a more attacking CM paring. We need Milner or Zoggy on the the field  for more direct wing play..

Butt needs to be dropped from away games. People complain about Martins' general playing being poor and inconsistent, but Butt can be just as bad, if not worse. And when hes bad, he is truly awful.

Good player at home when the opposition sit back and he can pick off the attacking midfielders and mop up, but hes like a headless chicken when we're under pressure away from home, even more so when we just need someone to help maintain possession.

Midfield is where we are suffering, not enough cover for the defence and not enough support for the front two.

Milner--Barton--Geremi--Zoggy

I think we can say that two out of these three must play Milner, Zoggy and Duff, thats your two wide men then the central partnership out of

Barton, Emre, Geremi, Butt, away from home we could go two defensive central players as long as we have out attacking wide men and at home we could go with a more attacking option if we are facign a poor side.

But really this should be our main midfield lineup for every game  Milner---Barton--?--Zoggy the ? is really between Geremi or Butt and for me neither of them is really doing a great job week in week out.

So could Faye be put in there and Roze or Taylor back in at the back?

Midfield is where we are suffering, not enough cover for the defence and not enough support for the front two.

Milner--Barton--Geremi--Zoggy

I think we can say that two out of these three must play Milner, Zoggy and Duff, thats your two wide men then the central partnership out of

Barton, Emre, Geremi, Butt, away from home we could go two defensive central players as long as we have out attacking wide men and at home we could go with a more attacking option if we are facign a poor side.

But really this should be our main midfield lineup for every game  Milner---Barton--?--Zoggy the ? is really between Geremi or Butt and for me neither of them is really doing a great job week in week out.

So could Faye be put in there and Roze or Taylor back in at the back?

*Sam flicks through his plans to recruit another swathe of defensive players*  :lol:

Butt needs to be dropped from away games. People complain about Martins' general playing being poor and inconsistent, but Butt can be just as bad, if not worse. And when hes bad, he is truly awful.

Good player at home when the opposition sit back and he can pick off the attacking midfielders and mop up, but hes like a headless chicken when we're under pressure away from home, even more so when we just need someone to help maintain possession.

Agree with this, though I wouldn't favour playing him at home either. For an experienced player, he loses all composure under pressure.

Agree with this, though I wouldn't favour playing him at home either. For an experienced player, he loses all composure under pressure.

Correct. Also he's a very correct player and tries to be too correct missing out on a lot of options when he has posession.

So if Barton plays every game in the middle as our ACM then who gets the slot alongside him when we are away from home? Geremi, Emre or Butt.

Butt is poor away from home, Geremi has been poor home and away since the pre-season and Emre and Barton is to much of an attacking CM paring.