Reading 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 10

James

Guest bluegeordie

On our showing today and against Derby, one thing's for sure - in future, when we play poor to middling teams away from home, they're simply bound to pump numerous long balls into our box, and also to constantly chase down our defenders (and our midfielders), as we don't cope effectively with the former, and re the latter we seem to want ridiculous amounts of time on the ball, even if in the end we're still prone to hoofing it aimlessly up the pitch to our (often midget) strikers!   

I completely agree with what others have said about us needing to start with genuine width in our midfield (that is, wide players, as opposed to mere players out wide). Also, I fully concur with the view that we need to show a far greater attacking spirit away from home. As much as it hurts me to say it, we got what we deserved today and, if anything, we were lucky to come away with a single-goal defeat (cheers Lita).

Even if we do leave an away game with no points, I for one want to see us at least attempt to take the game by the scruff of the neck, especially against opposition like Reading and Derby who, with all due respect to them, should be there for the taking. After all, it's surely better to die on our feet, than live on our knees ... and it would certainly be more entertaining for our long sufferring travelling supporters, who deserve much better than the dross they've been served-up away to Derby, Arsenal, Man City, and now Reading this season. 

Come on Sam, while our home form is excellent, away from home let's dare to win, rather than fear to lose!!!

The thing that worries me is that every team in the League will have seen exactly how Reading and Derby managed to beat us away from home and do exactly the same.

Starting with Sunderland... :hmm:

you can tell barton hasnt had much match play :S cacapa had a shocker. give rozzy another shout

We can't keep changing the defence, I think our away problems come from the other changes, anyway, Roz was shocking against Derby so he might not have been any better today.

90mins of absolute rubbish. Once again showed why we wont finish above mid table this season. Its alright getting results at home, but you need points away too. Still havent played the big boys at SJP either.

Ratings

Given 5, Beye 6, Faye 5, Cacapa 4, Enrique 5, Geremi 4, Butt 5, Emre 6, Barton 5, Owen 5, Martins 5

Subs: Milner 5, N'Zog 6, Smith 6

Was Given tha poor?Playing four centre midfielders and not playing one of her best players this season was a bit daft to be nice.Deep down I knew we would lose today.But I hate the way in 5 days suddenly our 2 ''excellent'' centre backs are suddenly shit!

Did Owen play full 90 minutes,and what sort of performance did he put in?

He did and he made his runs without being picked out and generally had to come deep to get involved stifling his natural game so was quite ineffective. Could have had us a penalty when he was through on goal. Not too sure if it was a penalty though.

Guest newcastle4life

Another poor away display and no clean sheet again given a goal should have gone on for a winner or hang on for a draw instead give Reading another goal.  >:(

Though this should probably go in the thread, these are the kind of games which will decide whether Sam stays here for a while or not. Most of us don't seem to expect to get much from games against the top 4, so it's 'okay' if we get dominated and lose - we're all frustrated (like we were against Arsenal) but we seem to know that we were up against a better team. However, when we're up against teams like Reading, Derby, and Boro away and we go out defensively, Sam will get criticized to fuck because we all know how that's not our speciality. If we at least attack and play football, at least Sam will have that even if we don't get any points. He needs to improve the football that we play away from home.

This is what I said in the pre-match thread and it seems that my initial fears about the team selection were very justifiable. We've already seen this at Derby and now we've seen it again - we just cannot go away from home against 'shit' teams and play for a draw. The Bolton game earlier this season also demonstrated this fact even though we won. We seem unable to create any chances playing this formation and seem to invite the opposition to just come at us and score. And obviously that's quite a shit tactic since we're not adept at playing quick incisive counter-attacking football, especially with one of our best counter-attacking midfielders on the bench today (Zoggy). We're not Arsenal. We're not going to be able to score from an opponent's corner kick especially since we leave our most direct player on the bench. It's really baffling why, if Zoggy was fit, he didn't start and at least try to get us going in the right direction from the off. Out of our 5 away games this season, we've produced two or three truely abject performances which is unacceptable, especially against teams like Derby, Reading and Boro. Hopefully Allardyce will realize that we don't have the personnel nor do the players have the ability, at the moment, to play this counter-attacking-based formation in away games. We have to play like we do in our home games because I'd take our attack over most of the rest of the Premiership's attacks any day of the week. I'd take Martins, Owen, Emre, Zoggy, Barton et al over players like Doyle, Hunt, Harper etc. etc. It's just so frustrating that our manager does not realize this. They (the teams we play against) should be afraid of us. Not the other way around. Make them chop and change to deal with the movement of Owen, the pace of Martins and the directness of Zoggy!

However, saying all that, our home form has been a massive improvement over the past couple of seasons so there's no doubt that we're heading in the right direction, Allardyce just needs to change his mentality for away games and we're nearly there. We'll be better next week.

Had a feeling this season would lack consistency. I have faith things will improve over time, BS needs a few seasons before he is truly judged. Keep the faith. Newcastle United forever. 

Allardyce shouldn't need a few seasons to work out that playing a totally defensive lineup with no creativity at all against poor sides is playing against our own strengths and completely in to the oppositions hands.  How the f*** didn't he work that out after the likes of Derby?  Actually how could he not know that to begin with?

When Allardyce was talked about as the next Newcastle managers I actually bought into this whole idea of him being some kind of forward thinking tactician who was just held back by Boltons lack of ambition (or I hoped that was true anyway).  A few of games into the season I started to get worried about the teams he was putting out and the kind of Football they were playing, but tried to put it out of my mind.  Now I'm really starting to think that he's a one trick poney, with absolutely no idea how to play any different from the way he had Bolton playing.  Give him a few years and he could have use finishing in the top 7 regularly, once he's brought in all the right players to make us into Bolton... but what then?  Playing that way can only get you so far and we should be looking for so much better then that.  Hopefully I'm wrong and I'll still give him a chance, but only in hope rather then any kind of belief.

Looking at our squad and our set up at Newcastle it really shouldnt take a few years to make us a top 6 side, 2 seasons max tbh, i mean where would we be in the league now if Sam had of just went to Derby and Reading wanting to score goals instead of grinding out draws and ending up with defeats? We will be top 6 this season if he cuts the crap and stops this away day drawing nonsense.

We need a CREATIVE midfielder, Smith, Emre or Barton are not good enough if we want to challenge for europe imo.

In the january transfer window, we should sign GUDJOHNSEN.  :thup:

Doesnt matter if Riikjard says that he didnt suck in a game, while hes getting his chances with all the barca injuries, the men really in charge at camp nou have said he will be sold.

A draw is usually a good result away from home and would have been today.  Doesn't mean you should play for one though.  The next fixture is Pompey at home - one of only two sides (by my count) that have a better record away than at home.  Think they will come to SJP playing for a point? 

We need a CREATIVE midfielder, Smith, Emre or Barton are not good enough if we want to challenge for europe imo.

In the january transfer window, we should sign GUDJOHNSEN:thup:

Doesnt matter if Riikjard says that he didnt suck in a game, while hes getting his chances with all the barca injuries, the men really in charge at camp nou have said he will be sold.

agreed

Guest Royal Fleet

Hello all. Reading fan here. My thoughts in a mo, but a quick observation first

especially against opposition like Reading and Derby who, with all due respect to them, should be there for the taking.

Last years league final table

8  Reading  38  16  7  15  52  47  5 55

9 Portsmouth 38 14 12 12 45 42 3 54

10 Blackburn Rovers 38 15 7 16 52 54 -2 52

11 Aston Villa 38 11 17 10 43 41 2 50

12 Middlesbrough 38 12 10 16 44 49 -5 46

13 Newcastle United 38 11 10 17 38 47 -9 43

We could say the same.  :razz:

Anyway. I would agree with most of the comments on here, As soon as I saw the Newcastle line up I just couldn't see where your goals would come from barring a moment of genius from Owen or Martins or a set piece from the small Turkish bloke. Basically you had 4 holding midfielders punting it up to 2 small front men. Bread and butter for 2 big centre halfs such as ours. I can't see Owen sticking around for long in that team, and he won't do you any favours if he does.

It was our best performance for a while, Lita should have scored a couple. Sonko looked immense for us at the back, and Kitson is just great!

Good luck against Sunderland.!