Reading 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 27/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 10

James

SA seems to be focussing a hell of a lot on setting his side up to counter the opposition, as opposed to really playing to his side's strengths.

Disappointing result, but what do expect when you come to the madjeski looking for a draw?

There was always going to be one outcome today sadly, the negative attitude doesn't help either.

Now we learn from our mistakes, and i hope i dont have to repeat that statement anytime soon.

Disappointing result, but what do expect when you come to the madjeski looking for a draw?

There was always going to be one outcome today sadly, the negative attitude doesn't help either.

Now we learn from our mistakes, and i hope i dont have to repeat that statement anytime soon.

We haven't learned from our mistakes so far, don't hold your breath.

First half was ok, we jus didnt create which is fundamental to winning a game, could tell in the first half we had 4 CM we kept possession really well but the obvious lack of penetration started to show in the second half, which got really stale. Lost all direction in the second half, to be honest ya cant really fault SA for making his changes when he did,  surprised that he took off Martins to be honest, SA must beleive that if anyone could of nicked one it was gonna be Owen, to be honest i thought Martins was looking far more dangerous, I personally would of taken off Owen but i guess ya cant do that to Owen, can understand putting on Smith because there was absolutely no link betweeen the midfield and forwards, Zog needed to come on as well as there was no width, really dissappointing that we couldnt retain possession in order to provide to the wing.

The whole, point of our team selection was to retain possession and in the second half we didnt.  

1) Why so narrow in the first half ? Why have 4 centre midfielders on the park ?

2) Too many long balls causing to lose position of the ball all the time. Why so many long balls ?

3) Why take off Martins when he was causing more trouble to Reading than Owen did the whole game ?

4) Why didn't Barton come off as he is still not in sync with his team mates and kept doing things that his team mates weren't expecting from him. Why wasn't he replaced ?

There may be a new Newcastle at St James Park but it's same old story when we play away.

There's some serious work that needs to be done defensive wise. It sounded on the radio as if alot of it was down to failure to communicate - if only they listened to each other.

SA seems to be focussing a hell of a lot on setting his side up to counter the opposition, as opposed to really playing to his side's strengths.

They were my thoughts when I saw the team selection and I'm really not surprised with another insipid away performance. This is not just an Allardyce problem, we've been weak as piss away from home for a long time now but we need to put it right quickly. We're winning our home games and looking good there atm so it's not going to put us into trouble, but if we want to get anywhere this season, improving our away form is paramount.

Fair enough changing the system to cope with the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd but fucking Reading? All it says to the opposition is "we're worried about you" when we should be picking Charlie N'Z no matter who we play, getting Emre in the centre and telling them to worry about us.

Think Skeletor made a good point about Nicky Butt too, he's a different player away from home, doesn't often play well.

Can't believe the difference in Geremi from pre-season to now. Yes, yes, non-competitive games etc, but he looked so cool and composed, always picking a clever yet simple pass. He wants to start detective work on what happened to that.

They were my thoughts when I saw the team selection and I'm really not surprised with another insipid away performance. This is not just an Allardyce problem, we've been weak as piss away from home for a long time now but we need to put it right quickly. We're winning our home games and looking good there atm so it's not going to put us into trouble, but if we want to get anywhere this season, improving our away form is paramount.

Fair enough changing the system to cope with the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd but f****** Reading? All it says to the opposition is "we're worried about you" when we should be picking Charlie N'Z no matter who we play, getting Emre in the centre and telling them to worry about us.

Think Skeletor made a good point about Nicky Butt too, he's a different player away from home, doesn't often play well.

Cacapa looks to be another player who's only good in home matches. Against Derby and Reading he has badly struggled with teams who give him no time to think or rest and certainly can't handle a physical battle.

I didn't see the game and I don't want to slag SA too bad, but I think it was harsh to drop Zog from the starting lineup. IMO, Milner on the right and Zog on the left is the best formation we have at present for scoring goals. I think Geremi should have been dropped, rather than playing him out of position on the right side, if we're intent on playing both Emre and Barton.

Can't believe the difference in Geremi from pre-season to now. Yes, yes, non-competitive games etc, but he looked so cool and composed, always picking a clever yet simple pass. He wants to start detective work on what happened to that.

The problem now is dropping the captain (if he needs dropping, obviously I've seen nowt of today). Sam needs to pick a midfield that can do a job home and away and stick with it - preferably one with Milner and Charlie.

Pace is an absolute necessity away from home, you need it as your under the cosh at away games, and you have to counter, ok Martins is fast as anything, but he can't do it all game, so Zoggy should have started too. Just the basics of football. Typical Butt really have a good game one week, be positively crap the next. Sam needs to find his best team away from home, and quickly.

Good post - I don't know where the Geremi from August has gone but I hope we can find him.