Steve McClaren

Dave

I'd love to know what bollocks we said to Garde in that meeting

LC: 'Do you speak English?'

RG: 'Yes'

LC: 'Sorry I think there's going to be too much of a language barrier here.'

A few murmurs in the papers this morning we approached him after the weekends defeat. That sounds a little bit too much like a positive action to rectify our downfall by the muppets in charge but I'd be even more surprised if he took it. It's practically career suicide. Imagine after the fall he had with Derby then taking us down? He'd be hard pushed to get another job. I personally think it's him or relegation for us mind.

Why are the last 13 matches the only indication of his managerial capabilities? He won 2 of the last 13, but also won 8 of the previous 13 before that and 7 of the first 13 matches of the season. It is not as though, he is actualy on the pitch, anyway, he only has so much control. Generally, McClaren has a history of being a competent manager. The last time NUFC hired a manager with that description was Keegan more than seven years ago.

His team have done exactly what ours have just done, switched off.

I don't want another manager here who isn't capable of motivating his players and to make matters worse for him, Derby aren't a club that have set the bar at staying in the division.

Unlike ours they had a target which meant they had to play from the first game to the last and he couldn't get them to do that.  What would happen if he came here next season and we got to a position where the players thought they were safe?  My guess is that we'd switch off again and that isn't good enough.  I want a manager who can and will motivate players to do the best job that they can and McClaren doesn't seem to be that manager.

Guest neesy111

Why are the last 13 matches the only indication of his managerial capabilities? He won 2 of the last 13, but also won 8 of the previous 13 before that and 7 of the first 13 matches of the season. It is not as though, he is actualy on the pitch, anyway, he only has so much control. Generally, McClaren has a history of being a competent manager. The last time NUFC hired a manager with that description was Keegan more than seven years ago.

I don't want another manager here who isn't capable of motivating his players and to make matters worse for him, Derby aren't a club that have set the bar at staying in the division.

Unlike ours they had a target which meant they had to play from the first game to the last and he couldn't get them to do that.  What would happen if he came here next season and we got to a position where the players thought they were safe?  My guess is that we'd switch off again and that isn't good enough.  I want a manager who can and will motivate players to do the best job that they can and McClaren doesn't seem to be that manager.

It's not the first time his players have switched off as well, boro fans said it happened after he took the England job in 2005/06.

It's not the first time his players have switched off as well, boro fans said it happened after he took the England job in 2005/06.

We need a young manager who has more ambition than the club and we need one who has done something to prove that he's capable, McClaren isn't that person and it would be more of the same.  He's a step up and Pardew and a step up on Carver but is that enough?  Is that the best we should expect and wish for?  The answer to that is both yes and no.  Yes, that's probably the best we can expect with the clowns running the club.  No, as supporters of the club we should want better.

We need a young manager who has more ambition than the club and we need one who has done something to prove that he's capable, McClaren isn't that person and it would be more of the same.  He's a step up and Pardew and a step up on Carver but is that enough?  Is that the best we should expect and wish for?  The answer to that is both yes and no.  Yes, that's probably the best we can expect with the clowns running the club.  No, as supporters of the club we should want better.

Bang on.

Hardly an inspirational appointment but entirely predictable from a regime with zero ambition.

I was one of the biggest Freddie Shepherd critics on here but I long for a time when we had some ambition/will to compete.

It should never have come to this.

It is a good point.  I can honestly say though I have not watched Derby play so I don't know the state of the decline.

Bang on.

Hardly an inspirational appointment but entirely predictable from a regime with zero ambition.

I was one of the biggest Freddie Shepherd critics on here but I long for a time when we had some ambition/will to compete.

I wouldn't hold Shepherd up as a shining light, getting managers in wasn't his strong point and it was one of my biggest problems with him.  Souness, Roeder and Allardyce were terrible appointments.

Bang on.

I wouldn't hold Shepherd up as a shining light, getting managers in wasn't his strong point and it was one of my biggest problems with him.  Souness, Roeder and Allardyce were terrible appointments.

He's never been held up as a shining light by me. I was one of his biggest critics.

I still sense he would have went balls out for a proper manager in this scenario though.

No better than Pardew and will be a yes man to Ashley.  However, who in the hell would want to come to us anyway working for this regime? They aren't exactly throwing their names in the hat are they? 

No better than Pardew and will be a yes man to Ashley.  However, who in the hell would want to come to us anyway working for this regime? They aren't exactly throwing their names in the hat are they? 

Who would come here would depend on what we offered.  For me we need to ditch our coaching staff and allow an ambitious manager to bring his own team in.  Our current setup is shite and not fit for purpose and should not be a reason to have to hold on to poor performers.  Our drop in league position since Carver took over will cost us a good percentage of what it would have cost to pay those chancers off.

Position wise I reckon we'd be similar to Pardew but I think we'd be more comfortable, at least have a style of football and a game plan (whether it's positive or not) and would have the players on board. Ashley's wet dream.

I wasnt against mccalren at all, but derbies implosion injuris or not, is a worry. i was on one of the irmessage boards last week and they all seemed to want him to stay, guessing that may have changed now.

very much a 'meh' appointment.

theres rumours on twitter (probaby bollocks) of Moyes, he'd be ideal.

We were actually discussing Garde at one point. Seems like a few lifetimes ago :(

Lets be clear here, Garde was never some unattainable high flying manager like Rafael Benitez with a big price tag to go with it. His reputation has been built at a mid-tier club which has to sell it's best players to survive. It's not like we were going to be busting our budget to land him. I think the sole reason we discounted him was because he wasn't prepared to work with the Three Amigos and wanted to bring in his own team.