Steve McClaren

Dave

Tbh I took that as 18/20 people he sees as potential starters going forward not an 18/20 squad with no backups. Likely to be some players he doesn't rate/don't figure In his plans long term that we are looking to shift and younglings coming through. 

been think about this, taking out the obvious shite (players we know are shite i mean, a la gouffran) this is what you're left with and it's 21 players....plenty won't be what mclaren does mind, i.e. i imagine he'll bin abeid and keep gouffran around, that type of bollocks:

GK - krul

GK - darlow

DF - colo

DF - haidara

DF - janmaat

DF - taylor

DF - dummet

DF - lascelles

DF - mbemba

MF - sissoko

MF - anita

MF - colback

MF - tiote

MF - abeid

MF - wijnaldim

FW/MF - cabella

FW/MF - de jong

FW/MF - aarons

FW/MF - perez

FW - cisse

FW - mitrovic

meaning we absolutely must bin ASAP:

willo

obertan

vuckic

riviere

bigi

marv

elliot

gouffran

been think about this, taking out the obvious s**** (players we know are s**** i mean, a la gouffran) this is what you're left with and it's 21 players....plenty won't be what mclaren does mind, i.e. i imagine he'll bin abeid and keep gouffran around, that type of bollocks:

GK - krul

GK - darlow

DF - colo

DF - haidara

DF - janmaat

DF - taylor

DF - dummet

DF - lascelles

DF - mbemba

MF - sissoko

MF - anita

MF - colback

MF - tiote

MF - abeid

MF - wijnaldim

FW/MF - cabella

FW/MF - de jong

FW/MF - aarons

FW/MF - perez

FW - cisse

FW - mitrovic

meaning we absolutely must bin ASAP:

willo

obertan

vuckic

riviere

bigi

marv

elliot

gouffran

Bigi still doesn't take a squad place as he's U21 so still worth keeping I think.

I'm hoping he means outfield players when he says 18 to 20. That leaves 22 players and the rest of his quote suggests he'll make a call on who will go out on loan and who will leave.

We've already shown a willingness to loan youngsters out rather than have them sitting around in case.

Has anyone discussed the possibility that the likes off Gouffran, Obertan, Williamson have been getting so much friendly time precisely because they are the players that he doesn't rate and wants to see if they have any hope at all?

Hopefully Mr Shoemaker sorts out our voodoo injury crisis once and for all, which in that case wouldn't make a squad size of 20-22 too stretched.

Guest ConnyBongo

Think we could see something close to SM starting 11 today. Decent test against champions league opposition, if we can get an idea of coaching changes ect from any of the pre season games it will be this one.

Has anyone discussed the possibility that the likes off Gouffran, Obertan, Williamson have been getting so much friendly time precisely because they are the players that he doesn't rate and wants to see if they have any hope at all?

Hopefully Mr Shoemaker sorts out our voodoo injury crisis once and for all, which in that case wouldn't make a squad size of 20-22 too stretched.

The flaw in that logic is he would have therefore sacrificed the possibility of greater team cohesion ahead of the season starting for the slim chance that any of these knackers might come good.

I think virtually all of pre season has been about fitness. I think too much can be made of, "time to gel". Yes it's more crucial for defensive cohesion but hopefully it has been worked on in training.

We will see McClaren's intentions today, one or two aside.

It's insane that Übercrap is still here. Should have been shot after his second season here (or first). That him and Gouffran weren't mentioned of being in danger of being axed is making me dislike McClaren already.

Right now we have; GK; Elliot,Krul,Darlow, DEF;Janmaat;Mbemba,Taylor,Coloccini,Williamson,Lascelles,Good,Dummett,Haidara, Midfield; Kemen,Bigi,Abeid,Colback,Anita,Tiote,Wijnaldum,Cabella,Marveaux,Sissoko,De Jong,Gouffran,Obertan,Aarons,Vuckic Attack; Cisse, Mitrovic, Riviere, Ayoze

31 players, we should be losing maybe 3 or 4 not 11

It's insane that Übercrap is still here. Should have been shot after his second season here (or first). That him and Gouffran weren't mentioned of being in danger of being axed is making me dislike McClaren already.

I sincerely doubt anyone is going to want them. It's not simply just a case of being able to decide you don't want a player anymore, you need a buyer who'll be able to offer them a wage worth moving for.

Gouffran by all accounts is on excellent money, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40k a week. Unless he's willing to at least halve that we're stuck with him for two more years.

Colo, Taylor, Williamson and Obertan are four more that I suspect we'd be happy to see the back. But who in their right mind is going to want Colo or Taylor on their wages? Who would have Williamson or Obertan even on work experience?

Luckily those four are out of contract after this year. Ashley isn't going to pay wages for more CB's when we already have five or six on the books. I'd guess we'll try and get by this year with what we have in defense and then when Colo, Taylor and Williamson's contracts expire next year we'll invest in a couple of first team defenders.

I sincerely doubt anyone is going to want them. It's not simply just a case of being able to decide you don't want a player anymore, you need a buyer who'll be able to offer them a wage worth moving for.

Gouffran by all accounts is on excellent money, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40k a week. Unless he's willing to at least halve that we're stuck with him for two more years.

Colo, Taylor, Williamson and Obertan are four more that I suspect we'd be happy to see the back. But who in their right mind is going to want Colo or Taylor on their wages? Who would have Williamson or Obertan even on work experience?

Luckily those four are out of contract after this year. Ashley isn't going to pay wages for more CB's when we already have five or six on the books. I'd guess we'll try and get by this year with what we have in defense and then when Colo, Taylor and Williamson's contracts expire next year we'll invest in a couple of first team defenders.

ties in with what mclaren said about 3 transfer windows as well tbh

63 goals conceded last year, second worst in the league, i.e., worse than two clubs that were relegated. fwiw, bottom-placed QPR outscored us too (42 vs. 40) so had our goals not come in opportune matches, we would have gone down with them.

I think the biggest lesson for also-ran clubs in the Premiership in recent years comes from Pulis at Crystal Palace. And that is, don't let your club be easy to beat. Be a club that is organised enough to not lose matches of its own accord. Getting beaten by a better team is fine, just don't give away easy goals because that's what makes you lose match after match like Carver did. I think McClaren is a big step up from Carver (and the other perennial hangers on with him), but there is only so much better organisation can add to the players we've got. Some of them simply need to be replaced. They're just not good enough.

Nothing said in his NufcTV interview that re-assures me going in to next week.

What's he said?

I'm generally surprised at how negative he has been at times the last week or so, seems to be building up,to an excuse for out inevitable defeat against Southampton.