Steve McClaren

Dave

Biggest fuck up of the summer was giving that curly haired prick a new contract. It screamed of we don't give a shit and nothing has changed.

Surprised people have jumped on McClaren so early TBH, I don't think he's a brilliant manager but surely what is happening now is just a symptom of the bigger problems at the club? Not sure getting in a Souness-style manager to shout at the players would be any more sensible.

No real point sacking him though is there when the chances of anyone better coming in are close to zero.

Don't think I've ever seen a set of players down tools so quickly - 6 league games played and this is our injury list:

Darlow

Cisse

Haidara

Taylor

Tiote

Dummett

Riviere

Good

Aarons

And we had a thin squad to start with.

We just look utterly fucked.

Surprised people have jumped on McClaren so early TBH, I don't think he's a brilliant manager but surely what is happening now is just a symptom of the bigger problems at the club? Not sure getting in a Souness-style manager to shout at the players would be any more sensible.

I feel the same way at the minute. I'm struggling to point the finger at him just yet. There seems to be such a rot set in the players mindset that it will take more than another manager to fix it. This has been going on years. We escaped by a point last year and its just carried on this season.

Burn it down and start again.

I don't understand what's going on at all.

Having seen every minute of every game bar the Man U draw, something happened at West Ham that's just sucked away any progress that had been made. There was tangible progress, we looked more confident, the crowd was behind the team. Last night was awful to watch in the ground. Everybody was just nervous from the first minute.

I think he's tried to set us up to sit and not press too much, but we're just way beyond the pace. Even the pace of a second string championship side. We're still playing the same shite formation, the only difference being Anita coming to split the centre halves when we don't have the ball.

McClaren worried me for the first time last night. He looked visibly exasperated and panicked at half time, wasted two changes doing something he should've done before the game started and then he had no way of changing things after the goal went in. Just like the Watford game, Wednesday weren't even playing well. We didn't give them anything to deal with.

I think he might walk sooner rather than later. Just a mad situation to be in. We didn't even get the new manager bounce.

Its because McClaren was largely unwanted and following the horrendous season we had.

You are right the problems are not all on McClaren, but there's definitely something up with the players but they won't get any sympathy from me. They earn far too much money to get off lightly following what we have seen so far.

I get the point on a brutal Souness approach may not work, but for me the approach can be different and more Keegan love, but it has to come from a man the players will respect and listen to. Its clear we don't have that and we can't move the players on, so McClaren that may have to.

Id prefer to see things turn around for McClaren but I think its totally fucked for him. What I don't get is with him being here since June that he hasn't seen or been able to start fix these deep rooted issues.

The job demands someone with charisma, an understanding of what football means to people in the north east and an ability to lift the place up.

He needs to be able to take people with him and take the shackles off the players.

The, very obvious, restrictions placed upon him by the owner should not restrict this.

Look what Bilic has done already at WHU having spent less money. He's got into their players heads and given them a degree of belief.

Guest firetotheworks

It is part of a bigger problem, but thankfully now I think it's easier to oust the manager, which makes the club as a whole unstable. I'm trying to stick with the admittedly slightly naive 'keep kicking up a fuss and eventually Ashley's position will be untenable/he'll have to get a decent manager' angle. I don't really have an alternative because I've never liked McLaren, don't see that position changing at any point, and almost comprehensively hate our squad for one reason or another.

On the assumption McClaren will be gone soon (seems inexorable at this point), hope Ashley has the sense (*chortle*) to hire a good man-manager.

Haven't had a good one since Hughton, and Keegan before that. Someone to inspire this downtrodden troupe of misfits into a team that looks like they have motivation and purpose for being on the field.

It is part of a bigger problem, but thankfully now I think it's easier to oust the manager, which makes the club as a whole unstable. I'm trying to stick with the admittedly slightly naive 'keep kicking up a fuss and eventually Ashley's position will be untenable/he'll have to get a decent manager' angle. I don't really have an alternative because I've never liked McLaren, don't see that position changing at any point, and almost comprehensively hate our squad for one reason or another.

:thup:

Pretty much my angle tbh. Seeing dickheads like Lowes kicking up a fuss is a good sign, it surely cannot carry on like this.

I don't think Ashley will bring in the right manager like, or that we'll buy a proper squad. I think we'll continue to be absolutely rotten but people are finally cottoning onto it, the speed in which people have turned on McClaren is mental considering these are the same people who were calling us fickle and stupid for twisting after 3 years of this bollocks under Pardew.

One of the reasons I was pro-Vieira was because I think he could have inspired belief and a certain spirit.

When we tried to be a big club we got this type of stature of man to be  our manager. I'll say it again KK, Dalglish, Gullit, SBR, heck i'll even say Souness (the worst NUFC manager of my lifetime imo) all men that have experienced the heights as a club we want to reach. People that spent their lives as winners. True leaders.

McClaren's never a NUFC manager. Not the personal characteristics nor the style of play. A Swansea, Crystal Palace type manager at best.

Thoroughly depressing set of statistics:

http://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-and-mcclaren-in-crisis-the-numbers?

These ones jumped out in particular:

12.5 – McClaren’s win percentage. That’s the worst in Newcastle’s history and 2.5% worse than John Carver’s record.

14 – League points since Alan Pardew left.

40 – League points picked up by Alan Pardew since he left.

One of the reasons I was pro-Vieira was because I think he could have inspired belief and a certain spirit.

Yip, something different, something new, someone who the players all knew and respected as having done it all in the game.

:thup:

Exactly.

Vieira (who I didn't want like but obviously would have took over McClaren for the craic) and Garde just show that they're openly taking the piss tbh. They had no interest in signing either yet they obviously knew they were names which would excite the fans. It's the same with putting bids in at the final hour which are obviously going to get turned down.