Steve McClaren

Dave

I think we need to stick with him for a bit longer because there are some positive signs and i think he could come good.

However, if he doesn't remove Colo from the starting line-up soon, he'll seal his own fate.  I personally think Colo was royally fucked over by the ref yesterday fwiw but he has been terrible for 2-3 seasons and is now costing us on a regular basis.

Drop Colo from the starting line-up and give the armband to Wijnaldum before it's too late.

I think we need to stick with him for a bit longer because there are some positive signs and i think he could come good.

However, if he doesn't remove Colo from the starting line-up soon, he'll seal his own fate.  I personally think Colo was royally f***ed over by the ref yesterday fwiw but he has been terrible for 2-3 seasons and is now costing us on a regular basis.

Drop Colo from the starting line-up and give the armband to Wijnaldum before it's too late.

We may be well adrift by that point though mate? Dilly dallying could see us lose vital points imo

He is club captain, guaranteed a starting place when fit/available....sadly. Partly cos our manager didn't have the balls to demand he was replaced.

TBH, barring a freak refereeing decision we should be looking at two consecutive good wins now. Let's see what happens over the next couple.

A naive Norwich side who continued trying to play through us, despite getting humped...good win no doubt but an easy three points really when you look at the the game. I was very surprised by their tactics.

Hmmm not sure myself we would still have won the derby..we are fucking jinxed in it imo.

Fair point re ref decision..maybe we would have, who knows.

However we didn't and have 6 fucking points.

Next couple..............we lose one we lose the other imo. Fragile as fuck.

We've all known what to expect with Ashley and Penfold for a while now, getting rid of Pardew was never going to be the answer but needed to be done for the sanity of the supporters and the health of the club. We always knew it would be an uninspiring replacement but so long as it wasn't Pardew. If we get rid of McClaren it'll be another uninspiring appointment, if we're in serious trouble of relegation then it'll need to be done but pushing him out in hope of something better is futile. The difference this time is that we don't have a defensively turgid, slimy prick in charge and that alone warrants time to turn it round.

It's Schteve McLaren ffs.  Sacked by championship club Derby.

There were a multitude of better options and we went for the cheap mate of the head scout.  I can't remember anyone piping up and saying 'another one from the old boys merry go round would be mint' when Pardew walked.  He wasn't good enough then, he's not good enough now.

He may not be good enough I agree, but he's certainly not one of the old boys merry go round. He's totally different to the usual suspects. At least he had the bollocks to manage abroad to gain experience and try to better himself. This for me is his one redeeming feature. He wasn't content to sit in a tv studio grovelling for a job the way Allardyce, Pulis, Curbishly etc do. It might never work for him at NUFC, but out of this group of charlatans he was the best choice by some distance (discounting Moyes).

We should have taken the plunge with Vieira. It might have failed (it's failing anyway) but it would have freshened things up and showed that the club was prepared to go in a different direction after Pardew and Carver and would have had the fans onside right from the start. Don't know of a single supporter who was excited about McClaren being appointed and I doubt the players were either. Sadly with 2 dinosaurs and penfold making all the executive decisions McClaren is exactly the sort of manager we'll continue to employ.

Of course we should have gone for Vieira but that would have meant being ambitious, and if we haven't learned by now that it's never happening under Mike Ashley then we might as well give up. For some strange reason he thinks Charnley will make better signings than a former footballer that's won every honour in the game.

It's Schteve McLaren ffs.  Sacked by championship club Derby.

There were a multitude of better options and we went for the cheap mate of the head scout.  I can't remember anyone piping up and saying 'another one from the old boys merry go round would be mint' when Pardew walked.  He wasn't good enough then, he's not good enough now.

He may not be good enough I agree, but he's certainly not one of the old boys merry go round. He's totally different to the usual suspects. At least he had the bollocks to manage abroad to gain experience and try to better himself. This for me is his one redeeming feature. He wasn't content to sit in a tv studio grovelling for a job the way Allardyce, Pulis, Curbishly etc do. It might never work for him at NUFC, but out of this group of charlatans he was the best choice by some distance (discounting Moyes).

We should have taken the plunge with Vieira. It might have failed (it's failing anyway) but it would have freshened things up and showed that the club was prepared to go in a different direction after Pardew and Carver and would have had the fans onside right from the start. Don't know of a single supporter who was excited about McClaren being appointed and I doubt the players were either. Sadly with 2 dinosaurs and penfold making all the executive decisions McClaren is exactly the sort of manager we'll continue to employ.

:thup:

Still think we should sack him.

I don't, the team's improving every week.The football is getting better and confidence appears to be coming back. The results just aren't there  yet.  obviously if we don't pick up a couple of wins soon then he'll be under major pressure. There's still loads of work to do But I think he'll turn it around.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think we should have hired him in the first place but sacking him at this stage would be quite frankly ludicrous unless we had someone undoubtedly better lined up, which obviously we won't.

I don't think we should have hired him in the first place but sacking him at this stage would be quite frankly ludicrous unless we had someone undoubtedly better lined up, which obviously we won't.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

I don't, the team's improving every week.The football is getting better and confidence appears to be coming back. The results just aren't there  yet.  obviously if we don't pick up a couple of wins soon then he'll be under major pressure. There's still loads of work to do But I think he'll turn it around.

Our defending is arguably getting much worse, conceded 2 or more in our last 6 league games.

Our defending is arguably getting much worse, conceded 2 or more in our last 6 league games.

like I said there's still loads to work on but the football is better and is clearly improving.

like I said there's still loads to work on but the football is better and is clearly improving.

I don't think it'll ever turn around enough to our liking under McClaren to be honest. I agree we shouldn't ever have hired him. I have no problems with the man himself - I think he's a good honest man who is working his ass off and our shit recruitment policies have forced him for better or worse to keep certain players or whatever. But I still think there are better managers and I'd be happy to see the back of Charnley, the board, McClaren etc.

I hope he proves me wrong and we go on a brilliant run of form and end season comfortably or pushing for 8-10. But I just don't see it happening unless we spend another 50M on this team in the form of GK, CB, CM, LB etc.

At the end of the day, if you want to support this club in its current form, McClaren is the best manager we'd ever hope to hire. We had to ask him 3 times to join us too.

In my opinion it's utterly pointless to discuss his position as we've learnt from 4 years of discontentment under Pardew that normally unacceptable performance levels mean diddly squat to the up-aboves.

Either switch off or turn up, it's obvious the opinions of the fans count for shit anyway, why be unhappy about it? Eat what the shit we're shoveled, that's what we've all unwittingly signed up for.

Until the entire fan base, and for NUFC this means the whole city, wants rid of Ashley and comes together under one banner then a good relegation scrap is going to be the most exciting thing we can hope for.

I think we could finish in the top 10 or even 8 under McClaren TBH, I know that's not very exciting.

Our centre-midfield will ensure that we're absolutely nowhere near those positions, imo. We've had some absolutely shite options at CM down the years, and whilst Colback + Anita/Tiote isn't the worst I've ever seen, it has absolutely nothing going for it. There literally isn't one stand-out attribute between them.

The shiteness of that partnership has a chain reaction on the rest of the team. They can't dictate the play in any way, shape or form - meaning the only time we do so comes from the right hand side. Which makes us limited, and eventually teams will be able to counter it. It also puts more pressure on the defense and, with a flailing Coloccini, it spells disaster.

The only way to fix the situation is through investment. We could shuffle things around and bring one of Sissoko or Wijnaldum deeper, but that then breaks up a front four that - imo - has a lot of potential.

If we signed one player in January it has to be a centre-mid. I really believe the whole team would improve.

I think we could finish in the top 10 or even 8 under McClaren TBH, I know that's not very exciting.

Can I have a pint of what you have been on Ian mate. :)

Top ten is a dream this season. Exciting actually!

No way imo.

Our back 4 and midfield are piss poor.

We shall see.

As for playing better, I think that's more by accident than by design.

I didn't necessarily mean this season.

Players don't change their style completely by accident though, McClaren is clearly trying to improve the football we're playing.

Maybe right mate, personally I think the pace going forward etc, on the counter attack has happened ad hoc mid game.

Boro supporting mate of mine has been screaming that he is a negative coach at me for ages.

Maybe I am being harsh, just don't see him inspiring improvement at all.

Fuck I just want us to use our current assets better...and invest...