Steve McClaren

Dave

Everything blends together in this hellhole we're in atm. imo and it has been like this for way, way too long unfortunately.

But I just can't seem to figure out where SMC will find the solutions he's looking for. He might not even see it.

Dummy has been way out the last couple of matches, where's Mbabu? He deffo deserves another shot after the Chelski match.

Guest Howaythetoon

Despite our squad limitations, of course we could be doing better points wise and performance wise under him. That we aren't - a lot of that is down to McClaren and his staff.

I'm inclined to think, however, that with better players and with more suited players, we would be doing better with McClaren in charge. At least performamce wise.

We cannot ever hope to improve long-term, however with such a poor recruitment and player sales policy. Furthermore we rarely develop a player and our youth system is a joke.

That's because MA has employed not only the wrong people, but poorly qualified people and too few people to carry out the running of the club. We literally have 2 or 3 scouts. The whole club is understaffed if you like.

If he wants to stick with McClaren and make it work to a degree, he needs to be the one in charge of player recruitment and sales (this applies to any manager really). Give him a transfer spend budget and wage spend budget and we go from there.

McClaren did a decent enough job at Boro on that front and yielded very good results as a result, winning a trophy, reaching a European final, staying up and competing at the upper end of the table.

I'm sure if McClaren was allowed to choose his own players with the £50m we spent in the summer, we would have a far more balanced and better suited squad to if not exactly pull up trees, at least be able to play the way the manager wants us to which is solid no frills possession football with a bit of punch up top.

This is how we did start the season, but it backfired because we don't have the players and ever since its been a case of trying to play another way with mixed, but ultimately poor results.

We cannot play play possession football with the players we have and although we have players for counter attack football, we will rarely face a side whose own game benefits a counter attacking approach. Norwich did and we beat them.

Most teams, I don't know why like, come to SJP and sit back. Away from home most teams attack us and because we have a poor defence and midfield, we are usually well beaten before we can counter attack etc.

In short for all of McClaren's failings, he simply doesn't have the right tools to do the right kind of job. No one will ever have the right kind of tools under MA.

This is the life...

Despite our squad limitations, of course we could be doing better points wise and performance wise under him. That we aren't - a lot of that is down to McClaren and his staff.

I'm inclined to think, however, that with better players and with more suited players, we would be doing better with McClaren in charge. At least performamce wise.

We cannot ever hope to improve long-term, however with such a poor recruitment and player sales policy. Furthermore we rarely develop a player and our youth system is a joke.

That's because MA has employed not only the wrong people, but poorly qualified people and too few people to carry out the running of the club. We literally have 2 or 3 scouts. The whole club is understaffed if you like.

If he wants to stick with McClaren and make it work to a degree, he needs to be the one in charge of player recruitment and sales (this applies to any manager really). Give him a transfer spend budget and wage spend budget and we go from there.

McClaren did a decent enough job at Boro on that front and yielded very good results as a result, winning a trophy, reaching a European final, staying up and competing at the upper end of the table.

I'm sure if McClaren was allowed to choose his own players with the £50m we spent in the summer, we would have a far more balanced and better suited squad to if not exactly pull up trees, at least be able to play the way the manager wants us to which is solid no frills possession football with a bit of punch up top.

This is how we did start the season, but it backfired because we don't have the players and ever since its been a case of trying to play another way with mixed, but ultimately poor results.

We cannot play play possession football with the players we have and although we have players for counter attack football, we will rarely face a side whose own game benefits a counter attacking approach. Norwich did and we beat them.

Most teams, I don't know why like, come to SJP and sit back. Away from home most teams attack us and because we have a poor defence and midfield, we are usually well beaten before we can counter attack etc.

In short for all of McClaren's failings, he simply doesn't have the right tools to do the right kind of job. No one will ever have the right kind of tools under MA.

This is the life...

Don't really agree that a manager should be solely based in control of buying players as managers won't have the time to endlessly trawl through footage of players and thus may buy players on reputation rather than actual ability. What should definitely happen though is that McClaren should tell scouts what  kind of player he needs eg. Dominant centre back, good in the air and then scouts should all work together to find the most suitable player we can. What we are doing at the moment is just buying random highly rated players to eventually make us a profit down the road a few years.

One very loose defense of Pardew is that he was made to work with players he didn't choose. Imagine him wanting to buy Cabella having finally got shot of Ben Arfa, for example. Absolutely ridiculous signing.

If he'd been allowed to sign his own players instead of the dozens of full internationals he was given, he might have fashioned a type of putrid football identity he wanted. Shite football implemented by a failed design, rather than utter cluelessness as it actually played out.

I am actually championing the idea that McClaren chooses his own squad, by the by.

Guest Howaythetoon

This is the life...

Don't really agree that a manager should be solely based in control of buying players as managers won't have the time to endlessly trawl through footage of players and thus may buy players on reputation rather than actual ability. What should definitely happen though is that McClaren should tell scouts what  kind of player he needs eg. Dominant centre back, good in the air and then scouts should all work together to find the most suitable player we can. What we are doing at the moment is just buying random highly rated players to eventually make us a profit down the road a few years.

See that is where I differ, I'm kind of old fashioned in that why appoint a manager if you don't trust him in the one area he should or ought to know about, players and their strengths and weaknesses?! Of course he will need help on the scouting front, all managers do. But the manager should always be the one who says yes or no to a player and what type and kind of player is to be bought or sold.

Ashley's interview pre WHU was very telling with one of his comments where he cited emphasised pound for pound value as being a core component of how the club is to be ran, it is THE core component.

He doesn't want a manager buying and selling players incase he buys flops, flops on long contracts hard to get rid of. That's why we have Carr and why we only buy players who are going to cost us next to nowt and who could if things go well, be sold for a good profit. It hasn't failed him as a model, despite Ben Arfa's departure or Santon not filling his potential, but it has failed the club and his managers and massively.

Could you imagine us signing a Kilcline or bringing a Pav back on loan as cover? Two types we are crying out for. No chance, there is no money to be saved or made and that's what it is all about with MA and this NUFC.

MA said the buck stops with him and it does, but when it comes to players the buck should always stop with the manager, always. He got his fingers burnt with Big Sam, but in KK ironically he had a manager who would get maximum pound for pound value out of players bought and sold.

This is the life...

See that is where I differ, I'm kind of old fashioned in that why appoint a manager if you don't trust him in the one area he should or ought to know about, players and their strengths and weaknesses?! Of course he will need help on the scouting front, all managers do. But the manager should always be the one who says yes or no to a player and what type and kind of player is to be bought or sold.

Ashley's interview pre WHU was very telling with one of his comments where he cited emphasised pound for pound value as being a core component of how the club is to be ran, it is THE core component.

He doesn't want a manager buying and selling players incase he buys flops, flops on long contracts hard to get rid of. That's why we have Carr and why we only buy players who are going to cost us next to nowt and who could if things go well, be sold for a good profit. It hasn't failed him as a model, despite Ben Arfa's departure or Santon not filling his potential, but it has failed the club and his managers and massively.

Could you imagine us signing a Kilcline or bringing a Pav back on loan as cover? Two types we are crying out for. No chance, there is no money to be saved or made and that's what it is all about with MA and this NUFC.

MA said the buck stops with him and it does, but when it comes to players the buck should always stop with the manager, always. He got his fingers burnt with Big Sam, but in KK ironically he had a manager who would get maximum pound for pound value out of players bought and sold.

If a manager really doesn't want a certain player and has a good reason why then of course he should have the power to say no, or of course if a manager sees a player he likes the scouts should then have a look at him a few times but I think it's just too risky to have one man in control of transfer especially when that man may not have seen that much of the player. In an ideal world you should have loads of different scouts but we seem to only have a few which is also a problem

I had a dream last night that Mourinho took over. It was so vivid. Even half thought it was true when I woke up this morning. Very odd.

So do I !!! Spooky.

I think he'd struggle as well mind.

I had the same dream as well. Really strange.