Steve McClaren

Dave

I am looking forward to the new season for the first time in years purely down to us having a proper coaching set up.

I will be if we fill the obvious holes in the team, not yet though. While i do believe we'll see an improvement, it won't be enough if the same old crap are playing because the club were not prepared to stump up the cash to improve the team.

I am looking forward to the new season for the first time in years purely down to us having a proper coaching set up.

I will be if we fill the obvious holes in the team, not yet though. While i do believe we'll see an improvement, it won't be enough if the same old crap are playing because the club were not prepared to stump up the cash to improve the team.

Us spending £14.5m on a midfielder does suggest we are going for it though.

Yes, he's a definite improvement. The coaching staff looks miles better than last season.

As bad as Pardew turned out to be, pairing him with cretins like Carver just made everything doubly bad. Heinous coaching setup.

That's what he wants though, people that don't challenge him or try to have any real input. He just wants yes men under him. He's pathetic.

Yes, he's a definite improvement. The coaching staff looks miles better than last season.

As bad as Pardew turned out to be, pairing him with cretins like Carver just made everything doubly bad. Heinous coaching setup.

That's what he wants though, people that don't challenge him or try to have any real input. He just wants yes men under him. He's pathetic.

who does he have at palace out of interest?

who does he have at palace out of interest?

Keith Millen

As I, and others, have said a hundred times - I'm not blown away by Steve McClaren at all.

However, it's just such a relief to assume we're not spending every week relentlessly studying the opposition (regardless of who it is). Or playing our chances down by saying it's "gonna be tough". It's nice to assume we're working on developing our own identity and our own way of winning things, as opposed to avoiding defeat on a case-by-case basis. When it came to Pardew, before you even take into consideration what a slimeball he was, the brass tax of his philosophy was extremely negative and it became so very galling by the end.

It's early days but I do have some optimism that we're going to see a better standard of football. We might not, obviously - because a football club's philosophy works from the top down, and there's still a total lack of ambition at boardroom level. There's no guarantees that the board's mentality won't encroach on the dressing room as it so clearly did last year. If it does, the standard of football will suffer again and we'll have made no progress.

Nonetheless, having a coaching staff with a modicum of pedigree is cause for quiet optimism.

Agreed, I'm optimistic that we're no longer parading ourselves as underdogs before EVERY game. To see our team train and developed their own game plan based as much on our strengths as the oppositions weaknesses.

Nothing will be how we want it until Ashley goes but at least we can potentially see an end to the Pardew/Carver era and some actual football.

I personally think McClaren seems to get the club way more already than pardew ever did, I think his time at Boro will have helped that. He knows what the fans want to see and whilst it won't happen over night I think our football will reflect the stands pretty well.

This is a big gig for him and probably the last. I think he might just get it right.

Pardew brought in Carver because hes from Newcastle & hes from Newcastle. Hes also from Newcastle.

Mcclaren has brought in staff who have shown an ability to get a side playing decent football & coupled it with a promising young coach who has just helped a european side get into the champions league, is hungry to learn & improve further.

Its going ok so far. We actually seem to be making logical decisions, potential is there & we're trying. Ive missed that.