Steve McClaren

Dave

Mbemba isn't going to hold f***ing job interviews in english :lol: I'm sure he can learn the essential words in a day or two to use on the pitch to communicate the most basic stuff. To begin with..

Just as something for McClaren to work on, we scored a grand total of five goals in the first half hour of all our league matches last season. In the same period, we conceded 21. Easily the worst in the league.

http://www.statbunker.com/competitions/LeagueTable?comp_id=481&start_date=01-08-2014&end_date=24-05-2015&start_time=0&end_time=30

.com have it in graph form here. Only two in the first twenty minutes of 38 matches.

http://www.nufc.com/html/2014-15html/goaltimes.html

Defence looked good yesterday :thup:

They were allowed to look good, Gladbach seemed content to shoot from distance most of the time rather than try to open us up.

It's a completely mad assertion. Apart from the fact that Taylor literally gifted them a goal, I vividly remember him rugby tackling an opposition player on a break (could have seen red in a competitive game) and Willo being completely done for pace out wide on another break. Then in extra time of the second half a complete missed pass over 3 yards spared both Willo and Taylor blushes again as they were completely out of position. And that is just a few incidents I remember from the top of my head where the central pair looked slow, weak or out of position It wasn't a solid defensive display, let alone a good one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/sport/video-1203451/Coloccini-spotted-crowd-McClaren-Goodison-Park.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Coloccini spotted in crowd with McClaren at Goodison Park

Steve McClaren wants Fabricio Coloccini to remain at Newcastle United amid interest from Alan Pardew and Crystal Palace. The pair were spotted sitting together at Goodison Park for Duncan Ferguson's testimonial mach

Erm, isn't that at Gateshead?

Guest chopey

Isn't it true that Valencia at Man Utd doesn't speak a word of English and he's been in England for about 10 year ?

Pleasing, btw, to hear him say in his interview with Mick Lowes after Borrusia: "we want to put as many square pegs in square holes." Pardew's terrible football, as we all know, was due to him doing the opposite. If we put all our players in the right positions then we've got the makings of a decent side, providing you forget our woeful defense of course. Hopefully, though, a cohesive attacking unit will take the pressure off the individual shiteness of basically all our defenders.

Isn't starting because he doesn't speak English :lol:.

Communication is a huge issue in central defense man. Just thought that it would take a week or two so he understands the basics.

Re: Tevez, he is a striker so a bit different. Just think that if Mbemba cant communicate with his center half pair, it is gonna be a big problem.

Pleasing, btw, to hear him say in his interview with Mick Lowes after Borrusia: "we want to put as many square pegs in square holes." Pardew's terrible football, as we all know, was due to him doing the opposite. If we put all our players in the right positions then we've got the makings of a decent side, providing you forget our woeful defense of course. Hopefully, though, a cohesive attacking unit will take the pressure off the individual shiteness of basically all our defenders.

not if it means playing Obertan ahead of Perez because he's a 'winger'

Guest samtoonarmy2

Just read that McClaren watched 1st half of Gladbach game from stands. Wonder if he'll do that against Southampton? Not a fan of that management style personally, reminds me too much of Sam Allardyce. Don't see the point in it tbh

Why does he play Sissoko on the wing then?

It's highly debatable where Sissoko performs best to be fair. I've seen him play great for France coming from the right. I've seen him have some shockers for us playing on the right. I've seen him have some cracking games AND some shockers playing in the middle for us.

And who else is going to play on the right. Perez? He's not a winger / inside forward either.

tbf, perez is one of the very few in our squad to be intelligent and good enough to play anywhere across the front line or just behind it. he has to play.

Why does he play Sissoko on the wing then?

It's highly debatable where Sissoko performs best to be fair. I've seen him play great for France coming from the right. I've seen him have some shockers for us playing on the right. I've seen him have some cracking games AND some shockers playing in the middle for us.

And who else is going to play on the right. Perez? He's not a winger / inside forward either.

tbf, perez is one of the very few in our squad to be intelligent and good enough to play anywhere across the front line or just behind it. he has to play.

I wouldn't go as far as HAS TO.

I've noticed a few times (not from you specifically) people saying Aarons and Perez HAVE TO play, but I think most of us can agree realistically Wij, De Jong and Sissoko wouldn't work as a mid 3, so you have to drop one of the Aarons Perez Sissoko three if you include Wij and De Jong.

It's not a clear cut choice by a long shot as to our best front 4 at the moment so as long as there's nothing daft like Obertan/Gouff being preferred, I won't be particularly outraged whatever front 4 from De Jong Sissoko Aarons Perez Mitrovic or Cisse we go with for the first 4-5 games, as long as it's from that group and we change things if it's not working.

And I'm sure he will, think he'll be too good not to play. I'm just saying for the first few games there's a (good) selection headache which means it'll probably be either him or Aarons that misses out on a starting spot. Whether that's right or wrong it's hard to say at this point.

Says a lot that we suddenly have 4 very good options competing for 3 spots behind the striker, and most of us (me included) can't seem to wrap our heads around it :lol: