Steve McClaren

Dave

Most managers who bring a team up from the Championship ultimately get found wanting and we're chasing one who can't even manage that.

Aye.

McClaren would not have got rid of Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Yanga Mbiwa or Santon. And likely wouldn't have treated Chucky so badly. He would have found a way to make use of them, and at least played them.

How much better would our squad look then? At this point I would accept him with open arms.

This is delusional thinking. The sale of at least one of them had nothing to do with the manager. Whenever a manager has little say over signings, there's going to be some talented lads under-utilised.

Don't know about Santon but the other 3 were all completely on Pardew. We sold them because he refused to use them, i doubt McLaren would do that either and then we wouldn't have sold them but still doesn't mean he's any good.

Wouldn't mind McClaren personally.

Same here. He's not the best we can hope for but I think he can do a good job.

He has experience of European and International football,something we haven't had in a manager since Bobby.

Of course,that doesn't guarantee success but the criteria that the new manager has to work under,it's definitely an advantage.

There's no way we'll see the real potential of any manager unless we start spending serious money on top players. Something that simply will not happen while Ashley remains.

As a person, he isn't wholly unlikeable but I'd have to question why a manager like him, who has a reasonable reputation in the game, would want to join our shitehouse of a football club.

This quote from Billy Connolly sprung to mind :

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.”

He's a decent guy, I met him a few times when he was at Boro as he lived just outside of Yarm.

I think it's gone past the now though, nice guy or not, brilliant manager or not, it's all irrelevant - well for me anyway - as he'll the same mandate as Pardew; to finish 7-17th with above 10 as a bonus, no cups and work with what you get given.

What would be the point?

Would only be a matter of time before he's getting absolutely rinsed on here imo

Same for all bad managers.

Would only be a matter of time before he's getting absolutely rinsed on here imo

What do you mean? If he's doing badly aye I'm sure he would

But he'll never do well, he'll be told that 7-10 is 'well'.

Guest ConnyBongo

I would love a remi garde to come in or tuchel but cant see it happening. But i certainly wont be throwing all my toys out the pram if we get mcclaren like some people on here.

Whos to say garde wont come in and find out this brilliant football philosophy of his just doesn't get the results in the premier league it did in the french league? Also just glimpsing at the french table now lyon are top, dont know if that means anything not knowing much about french football myself. Is his achievements in the french league any better than mcclaren winning the eredivisie with twente?

Im 100% not saying mcclaren in, but the way people are crying about it is ridiculous. Hes better than anything we've had under ashley (keegan aside). 

Same for all bad managers.

What do you mean? If he's doing badly aye I'm sure he would

But he'll never do well, he'll be told that 7-10 is 'well'.

A good manager would naturally aim to be better. A bad manager will accept such a shit target and do no more.

Not a bad appointment. Obviously he'd still be operating under the Ashley remit of 10th or so and not trying in the cups, but he seems like a decent bloke, a respected coach, and quite a good manager. Given where we are, that would be progress.

If we go back and look at why we wanted Pardew out, I don't think McClaren would tick the same boxes.

I don't recall his teams trying to shut up shop every time when 1-0 up.

I don't recall his teams ever giving up mid game (0-6 to the scousers) and getting regularly beaten by three goals or more.

I doubt he'd make a point of picking Jonas, Obertan or Gouffran over a more mercurial but genuine talent like HBA.

I doubt we'd deservedly lose four in a row to the mackems.

I don't think he'd headbutt anyone, call another manager an effing c$$t, or blame the fans when we lose a lead.

Whoever we get, I hope they try to do the best they can irrespective of what they pledge to Ashley to get the job. Unlike that prick Pardew. And if that means they walk out when they're inevitably shit on from above, all the better. It's about time people stopped accepting this wanker's 'conditions'.

Whoever we get, I hope they try to do the best they can irrespective of what they pledge to Ashley to get the job. Unlike that prick Pardew. And if that means they walk out when they're inevitably shit on from above, all the better. It's about time people stopped accepting this wanker's 'conditions'.

:thup: on the money as usual.

Whoever we get, I hope they try to do the best they can irrespective of what they pledge to Ashley to get the job. Unlike that prick Pardew. And if that means they walk out when they're inevitably s*** on from above, all the better. It's about time people stopped accepting this w*****'s 'conditions'.

Trouble is if they do walk we'll just end up with a poorer manager who will happily accept the conditions. (Like the Keegan situation)

Would love every manager to say f*** off to Ashley perhaps making him reconsider his conditions. But unfortunately there's always someone like Carver who will take whatever is thrown at them just so it keeps them in a job.

Whoever we get, I hope they try to do the best they can irrespective of what they pledge to Ashley to get the job. Unlike that prick Pardew. And if that means they walk out when they're inevitably s*** on from above, all the better. It's about time people stopped accepting this w*****'s 'conditions'.

Trouble is if they do walk we'll just end up with a poorer manager who will happily accept the conditions. (Like the Keegan situation)

Would love every manager to say f*** off to Ashley perhaps making him reconsider his conditions. But unfortunately there's always someone like Carver who will take whatever is thrown at them just so it keeps them in a job.

What we really need is a manager who can work with the type of players Carr recruits. This is something that Pardew was patently unsuited to. I think a half decent manager could make it work. Yes we are a selling club but we have tended to buy well up until this season anyway.

A poorer manager will get us relegated, which Ashley doesn't want either. Something would have to give.

I just don't want another Pardew, happy to lick his arse in public and willing to keep us in the league every year offering the square root of fuck all in terms of hope and progression.

A poorer manager will get us relegated, which Ashley doesn't want either. Something would have to give.

I just don't want another Pardew, happy to lick his arse in public and willing to keep us in the league every year offering the square root of f*** all in terms of hope and progression.

To be fair, after all that's gone on, I don't think a new manager could complain about being told to finish 7-17. Surely they would be aware of this before taking the job.