Steve McClaren

Dave

I see what you're saying TCD but ultimately McLaren, just like Pardew before him, is responsible for getting the simple basics of the game right and he's failing at that. That is no one else's fault but his own.

We don't have a vision and neither do plenty of other clubs really, it should be in him as a football manager to have the professionalism and drive to motivate himself and the team above whatever bullshit aims Charnley or Ashley might have.

It's why Pardew was such a fraud in large part as he used it as a constant excuse for his shitness. Thankfully McLaren hasn't done this yet, nor can he I suppose.

I said SMC was similar to Pardew from the start. I expected him to be bang average. I expect some improvement but still well below what I deem as a decent season.  I have never though he's a Newcastle United manager. But he, like Pardew, is not the main cause of our problems. He's a symptom. If we had proper leadership he wouldn't be here anyway.

Every club has a vision. For some, it's to just get by. I think the owner has tried a bit to change the vision but it's largely the same.

I just can't get on board with this, I'm sorry. Doesn't matter if the club's vision as you put it is merely to exist, on a game by game basis that should have no bearing on how McLaren approaches things and I'm sure it doesn't.

He's just not good enough to steer a course away from what Pardew created, or so it seems atm.

Gets me angry to think we've gone from Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit & Robson to Allardyce, Hughton, Pardew & McClaren. The names say a lot about the perspective.

I know Ashley didn't appoint Sam but he's of that ilk.

I would say we've only had two 'good' managers in my lifetime.

I see what you're saying TCD but ultimately McLaren, just like Pardew before him, is responsible for getting the simple basics of the game right and he's failing at that. That is no one else's fault but his own.

We don't have a vision and neither do plenty of other clubs really, it should be in him as a football manager to have the professionalism and drive to motivate himself and the team above whatever bullshit aims Charnley or Ashley might have.

It's why Pardew was such a fraud in large part as he used it as a constant excuse for his shitness. Thankfully McLaren hasn't done this yet, nor can he I suppose.

I said SMC was similar to Pardew from the start. I expected him to be bang average. I expect some improvement but still well below what I deem as a decent season.  I have never though he's a Newcastle United manager. But he, like Pardew, is not the main cause of our problems. He's a symptom. If we had proper leadership he wouldn't be here anyway.

Every club has a vision. For some, it's to just get by. I think the owner has tried a bit to change the vision but it's largely the same.

I just can't get on board with this, I'm sorry. Doesn't matter if the club's vision as you put it is merely to exist, on a game by game basis that should have no bearing on how McLaren approaches things and I'm sure it doesn't.

He's just not good enough to steer a course away from what Pardew created, or so it seems atm.

I am currently sympathising with this view, as well. And I totally understand those calling him to be sacked now, even if it may be too soon. While I'm okay with giving him a few more games, personally, two stark realities cannot be ignored:

1) He seems incapable of motivating or firing up the squad. Any manager who witnessed last season's shambles would've come in with bluster and an iron fucking rod, and we'd have enjoyed a bit of a honeymoon period. Even DiCanio enjoyed one, FFS. McC seems to be the reflective type, but games have simply passed him and his players by.

2) By giving him 10 - 15 games, we risk being cut adrift very early on, and we haven't been in season-long relegation battle ever, as far as I can recall. Before we'd managed to get more points on the board before slipping down the table. To start the campaign with THIS squad rooted firmly at the bottom and we're looking at a truly fucking horror scenario. By the time January rolls around we could be pretty far off.

I agree 100%. We all recognise that Ashley has not been supportive of his managers, but McClaren can't really claim this after being given £50m worth of players all recommended by his mate Alan Carr. McClaren deserves some time to turn this round, but a half decent manager should be able to motivate his team.

Gets me angry to think we've gone from Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit & Robson to Allardyce, Hughton, Pardew & McClaren. The names say a lot about the perspective.

I know Ashley didn't appoint Sam but he's of that ilk.

I would say we've only had two 'good' managers in my lifetime.

Agreed. But the intent was there for the first 4. Just the names, the pedigree of the men.

From .com:

The Ashley Era - NUFC after six PL games:

2007/08: 11 points, 5th (scored 9, conceded 5)

2008/09: 4 points, 19th (scored 5, conceded 11)

2010/11: 7 points, 10th (scored 9, conceded 8)

2011/12: 12 points, 4th (scored 7, conceded 3)

2012/13: 9 points, 9th (scored 8, conceded 8)

2013/14: 7 points, 16th (scored 7, conceded 11)

2014/15: 3 points, 19th (scored 5, conceded 12)

2015/16: 2 points, 19th (scored 3, conceded 9)

This is United's worst start to a Premier League season since the 1999/00 campaign, which unfolded thus:

Aston Villa (h) lost 0-1

Tottenham (a) lost 1-3

Southampton (a) lost 2-4

Wimbledon (h) drew 3-3

mackems (h) lost 1-2

Manchester United (a) lost 1-5

Had at least scored 8 goals by that point in the season.

He needs to get Siem De Jong out there from the start for 1 thing. He needs to have Perez and Thauvin out wide for another. He needs his central midfield to probably be Gini/Sissoko. And he probably needs the full backs to provide minimal up the pitch attacking support.

To be fair, Thauvin and Perez were a rubbish wide combo on Saturday. Both did exactly the same thing, got the ball and turned inside almost every time. They never tried to take the full back on, instead choosing to pass it inside or wait for an overlap. Sissoko made a difference in the second half by being more direct. Maybe things might be different for them with a focal point to play off but I doubt that'd really work unless we're playing teams that defend a bit more openly.

I am currently sympathising with this view, as well. And I totally understand those calling him to be sacked now, even if it may be too soon. While I'm okay with giving him a few more games, personally, two stark realities cannot be ignored:

1) He seems incapable of motivating or firing up the squad. Any manager who witnessed last season's shambles would've come in with bluster and an iron f***ing rod, and we'd have enjoyed a bit of a honeymoon period. Even DiCanio enjoyed one, FFS. McC seems to be the reflective type, but games have simply passed him and his players by.

2) By giving him 10 - 15 games, we risk being cut adrift very early on, and we haven't been in season-long relegation battle ever, as far as I can recall. Before we'd managed to get more points on the board before slipping down the table. To start the campaign with THIS squad rooted firmly at the bottom and we're looking at a truly f***ing horror scenario. By the time January rolls around we could be pretty far off.

Both you and mr Mo sum it up very well and our second point is the reason he needs to go because here is nothing more sure than the club being cut off by January

I'm in two minds here:

1) I want to like him, I think he seems like a real good honest football man who is likely a very good coach. Seems to know the game very well. I think he's trying to implement a good plan and system but he hasn't got the idea on how to FIT the players into that. He's bottled some big decisions and I'm a bit lost on his team selections still. Although we were losing 2-0, and people may say he was "hiding" in his technical area, if you caught it on TV, he was literally with Cathro scribbling away at his giant clipboard and assuming at face value here, was trying to conjure up something. He's trying, he may be failing, and he may ultimately fail, but he's trying.

2) We still look crap, we still haven't scored, we take a step or 2 forward we take 2-3 steps back in terms of results or performances. I've not a clue how he's going to solve this team selection thing - my gung-ho formations are likely not ever going to work in reality. I still think he needs 5 players minimum; anyone will. We are horribly unbalanced side and we lack a strong spine in our team.  I believe he will ultimately not meet our expectations (which are low, I think), and I was never for him - I was only for him when it was official and I had to back him

My overall bold call here is that the job's maybe far too big for him and he'll walk or get sacked sooner than people realize.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns it around b/c like always for me, just want to enjoy my club again.

Very good post. Some great points and I agree with almost everything you've said here.

Don't think the job is too big for him. He might prove himself not able to succeed but he's highly experienced and has had one of the few jobs that are bigger than managing Newcastle. There's no reason he would be out of his depth... whether or not he'll do well is a different matter.

The phrase "real good honest football man" always makes me laugh.

In my opinion a football man (from a coach) is someone who's worked himself through the game, good on the training pitch, good with with youth development, had some football career before this, sort of lives and breaths the game. It's on odd phrase, I know...

Don't think the job is too big for him. He might prove himself not able to succeed but he's highly experienced and has had one of the few jobs that are bigger than managing Newcastle. There's no reason he would be out of his depth... whether or not he'll do well is a different matter.

I'd correct myself here and say I think the job is too big for him in that there is more wrong internally than I think anyone realizes, it's a club culture that's been watered down and boiled to nothing. He's got supposed rotten eggs, no leadership, players whose youthful exuberance or individuality been coached out of them, confidence is either sky high or rock bottom,...i think it needs to be said more, but the DEVELOPMENT of these players who have been signed over the past few years has been next to nothing; players don't get better or improve, they just get worse. Stagnation, lack of ambition from the boardroom, a prior coaching team who couldn't develop talent, who had a defeatist style mentality etc - that's all been stuck in these guys' minds for far too long IMO.

I can forgive some bad results, no manager deserves to be judged on only 6 games, but when you are putting out sides that are getting accused of rolling over without much of a fight that sets the alarm bells ringing. Both goals conceded were a disgrace and I don't really want to see McClaren trying to smile about it afterwards. He doesn't have to name names, but it's okay to say that's not acceptable.

completely agree about the culture point. It takes more than one man, and far more than a few months to change the culture at a club. The influence of Pardew and Carver et al will take longer to purge, and that's not even taking into account the shite that goes on above their heads.

McClaren needs time to see if he can turn things around.

Well, now that he's getting a ton of flack by the press/media etc right now - he's got a job to do - a home cup match in which we need to go out there and win by 3-4 goals. He then has to go away to City and put in a battling performance - players need to look like they give a fuck. Then he's got a home match after that versus Chelsea. Big few weeks.

Well, now that he's getting a ton of flack by the press/media etc right now - he's got a job to do - a home cup match in which we need to go out there and win by 3-4 goals. He then has to go away to City and put in a battling performance - players need to look like they give a f***. Then he's got a home match after that versus Chelsea. Big few weeks.

Chelsea first.

It's been fucking rubbsh so far in all facets of our play right through from defence to attack. What the fuck has he been doing in preseason ffs?

The preseason set up by Carver, Stoney and Charnley, playing against third tier teams in North America? :lol: