Steve McClaren

Dave

Saw the result yesterday and that's about all of saw.

Quick question, do people think he picked the right team?? Looks like he went 4123 which is what I have been wanting us to play??

Still far to early to judge, but not looking promising thus far.

Was glad to see Perez in there, didn't have too many complaints before the match.  I think watching yesterday made me think maybe the formation and team selection isn't as much of a problem as what seems like a chronic lack of morale, teamwork and drive amongst the players.  They looked like total strangers who've never played with each other before in their life, no communication, no unspoken understanding of where to move or where to pass the ball - players feeding a ball through on the outside of a defender just as the player they were passing to checked his run and darted in to the middle, things like that.  No-one was working for each other, there was no gestures of "unlucky mate" or hands up of "my fault, good idea".  Conversely, the players didn't look comfortable enough with each other the criticise a wrong decision or bad pass, aside from some undirected looking at the sky. 

It's usually the kind of stuff I'd scoff at as being a bit David Brent, but it looks like these lads need to go and play paintball together and do some f***ing trust falls or something.

10/10

All seems a bit Sunday league that tbh. It's shit that gets better with time. We just don't have any.

Not sure if it's been said before in the thread as its one of the few I never enter but I just think he needs to get our two fullbacks to sit and be full backs until the team gets to know each other better. Both charging forward are exposing us badly and they are just taking up space that the midfield and forwards could occupy. Although many see Janmaat's marauding runs one of the few plus points of this season it's actually also the root of some of our problems.

I'd hope it would get better with time, but unfortunately the lack of cohesion in the squad looked just as bad, if not worse than our first couple of games.

I know what you're saying like but it's literally stuff that gets better with a win. We're not reinventing football here, this is timeless stuff.

I think you could say that about the whole squad tbh, LFEE. Instead of just keeping it simple we've got most of the midfield and attack trying to interchange with each other and play multiple roles.

Don't disagree with you at all. The reason I made the point more towards the fullbacks is we need to stay in games longer and currently we are playing with two defenders with one of them being long past his best.

Has McClaren changed anything midplay yet? Seems totally void of changes.

As in substitutions? Tactical changes? Seems to change systems fairly quickly when needed. But very slow to make subs it seems.

Aarons was stripped and ready on the touchline for ages yesterday. Watford made a change and the ball went dead at least 3 times more and he was still stood waiting for at least 5 minutes ready to go on.

I think you could say that about the whole squad tbh, LFEE. Instead of just keeping it simple we've got most of the midfield and attack trying to interchange with each other and play multiple roles.

Don't disagree with you at all. The reason I made the point more towards the fullbacks is we need to stay in games longer and currently we are playing with two defenders with one of them being long past his best.

From his quotes yesterday I reckon we'll be playing a lot more defensively against Chelsea and Man City. Wouldn't be surprised to see Anita back in the team either. The only  problem is we have very little pace up front to counter attack.

From his quotes yesterday I reckon we'll be playing a lot more defensively against Chelsea and Man City. Wouldn't be surprised to see Anita back in the team either. The only  problem is we have very little pace up front to counter attack.

His aim in the next two games will be to keep the scores down, and rightly so. It's literally the only area he's not copied Pardew so far, getting utterly bummed.

Has McClaren changed anything midplay yet? Seems totally void of changes.

As in substitutions? Tactical changes? Seems to change systems fairly quickly when needed. But very slow to make subs it seems.

Aarons was stripped and ready on the touchline for ages yesterday. Watford made a change and the ball went dead at least 3 times more and he was still stood waiting for at least 5 minutes ready to go on.

Yup. Highlights the lack of urgency for me. Even Aarons looked like he couldn't be arsed to come on. Bluestar's post above hits the nail on the head. Even Wijnaldum and Thauvin look totally lost. You'd think as the new unpardewed players, they would shine like a beacon through that pile of shit. Mbemba is really the only player whose attitude I can't fault. Even Ayoze seems a bit withdrawn and ovethinking things, unlike his usual self.

He asked for 10 games at the beginning of the season before judging. I'm willing to give 10 to see some kind of progress, particularly since game 10 is the derby (not counting cups). The knives will be out if we're still in the relegation zone and lose another one to them.

I'd hope it would get better with time, but unfortunately the lack of cohesion in the squad looked just as bad, if not worse than our first couple of games.

I know what you're saying like but it's literally stuff that gets better with a win. We're not reinventing football here, this is timeless stuff.

True. Just one problem with that unfortunately :lol:

He asked for 10 games at the beginning of the season before judging. I'm willing to give 10 to see some kind of progress, particularly since game 10 is the derby (not counting cups). The knives will be out if we're still in the relegation zone and lose another one to them.

10 games [emoji38]

We'll have 8 points at best. He might as well fuck off now.

His aim in the next two games will be to keep the scores down, and rightly so. It's literally the only area he's not copied Pardew so far getting utterly bummed.

What? He's clearly set us up to play on the deck rather than Pardew's hoofball.

His aim in the next two games will be to keep the scores down, and rightly so. It's literally the only area he's not copied Pardew so far, getting utterly bummed.

Eh?

We should have a gameplan to win the match. Not keep the scores down. Aye we will be defensive but we need to offer genuine threat on the counter.

His aim in the next two games will be to keep the scores down, and rightly so. It's literally the only area he's not copied Pardew so far getting utterly bummed.

[emoji38] howay man

Still defensive. Still turgid.

[emoji38] howay man

Look, we've been shite, but this "McCarvdew" bollocks is just lazy. We've clearly tried to play it out from the back. Hasn't worked, mind.

[emoji38] howay man

Look, we've been shite, but this "McCarvdew" bollocks is just lazy. We've clearly tried to play it out from the back. Hasn't worked, mind.

Explain to me how other than us getting a 4/5/6-0 bumming he's differed from Pardew so far.

In some respects I'd argue he's been worse. Pardew could see a winner when it feel in his lap yet McLaren is ignoring Aarons and Perez as long as he can.

[emoji38] howay man

Look, we've been s****, but this "McCarvdew" bollocks is just lazy. We've clearly tried to play it out from the back. Hasn't worked, mind.

Explain to me how other than us getting a 4/5/6-0 bumming he's differed from Pardew so far.

Eh, I just told you. We've tried to keep the ball on the deck to a greater extent rather than hoofing it at every opportunity.

[emoji38] howay man

Look, we've been s****, but this "McCarvdew" bollocks is just lazy. We've clearly tried to play it out from the back. Hasn't worked, mind.

Eh, I just told you. We've tried to keep the ball on the deck to a greater extent rather than hoofing it at every opportunity.

We've also tried different systems and approaches to games too, rather than just one plan every single time.

Still defensive. Still turgid.

Turgid, yes, but not always defensive.

[emoji38] howay man

We've also tried different systems and approaches to games too, rather than just one plan every single time.

We started last season with a 'new approach' as well if you recall. Knocked it about on the ground without any aim or purpose. Sound familiar?