Steve McClaren

Dave

:thup:

It's been a sort of 4-2-2-1-1 with plenty of fluidity and some genuinely great movement off the ball. Have doubts about its longevity but it's a system that should see us do well through the next run of fixtures. It's quite flexible for when we need to either go more possession or counter-based too - Wijnaldum's both comfortable dropping in pockets and sticking further out wide etc.

I just worry about the lack of natural width - defensively as much as going forward

Think natural width is a bit over stated myself, when we went in that run with Hatem-Cisse-Ba we had fuck all natural width but created chances by the bucket load.

Playing at a high tempo, with movement and incisive passing > natural width.

:thup: Same with Keegan's diamond.

Yeah, I prefer width coming from overlapping fullbacks personally.

Sure - but I prefer the oppositions wingers not to be able to cross the ball under absolutely no pressure. That might be about more than formation but it is a real problem for us

Sure - but I prefer the oppositions wingers not to be able to cross the ball under absolutely no pressure. That might be about more than formation but it is a real problem for us

That was happening when we had actual wingers playing wide too. Sissoko second half actually did his job and we didn't concede, first half he barely bothered tracking their left back and Janmaat isn't the best defender in the first place. Did Gini ever play wide in Holland?

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, I was just stating my preference in football in general, not so much getting into the problems that we have.

Yeah, I was just stating my preference in football in general, not so much getting into the problems that we have.

:thup

It's clear that we are very much in transition under him. I think he said it well during the transfer window when it would take 2-3 windows for him to build his squad. I think he knows we have weaknesses but must wait to change them. The signs have been there for the most of the season, yes we have let old behind come back when our heads dropped, but the signs are there that he wants to change that. Right now we just need the confidence, hopefully we can now get ourselves a decent run going.

I'm not on the McClaren bad wagon, but I acknowledge that we have had a tough set of fixtures to start off with and that it takes time for real changes to happen.

On the width thing it's worth pointing out that we have potentially one of the best strikers at heading the ball and attacking things in the division yet yesterday didn't put a cross in the box he could attack properly nor really ever looked like doing do.

EDIT: suppose it contrasted sharply to the quality and consistency of the crosses Norwich were putting in first half. Mitrovic would have got about 6 from their crosses.

On the width thing it's worth pointing out that we have potentially one of the best strikers at heading the ball and attacking things in the division yet yesterday didn't put a cross in the box he could attack properly nor really ever looked like doing do.

EDIT: suppose it contrasted sharply to the quality and consistency of the crosses Norwich were putting in first half. Mitrovic would have got about 6 from their crosses.

We did put balls in the box, just turns out someone else was on the end of them.

I’ve always felt this run of games would be where we'd get a clear idea what the side is going to be like under McClaren. If we can pick up a couple more wins quickly we might just be ok. Some promising signs. Desperately needs to work on the full backs though.

We did put balls in the box, just turns out someone else was on the end of them.

that's not what i mean really, i'm bemoaning the fact that we didn't have anyone putting crosses in like olsen or redmond coming from deep, proper old fashioned crosses that are there to be attacked when we've got the perfect player to attack them

just seems a really fucking weird way to go about things :lol:

let me try again - i'm saying it doesn't appear to be a targetted tactic that we're employing with any degree of focus or repetition, to get people out wide coming from deep and whipping crosses in to be attacked - in direct contrast to how good norwich were at it during the first half for example

it happened during the game, yes, but we're not very good at it is what i'm getting at :lol:

More like that please. If we can't defend, let them attack.

Deserves lots of credit today, would have been easy to try and keep things very tight considering the position we are in and the pressure on him. Pardew certainly would have.

We tried to keep it tight for the first 20 minutes of the second half and could easily have ended up regretting it

Deserves lots of credit today, would have been easy to try and keep things very tight considering the position we are in and the pressure on him. Pardew certainly would have.

We tried to keep it tight for the first 20 minutes of the second half and could easily have ended up regretting it

yep - if he's any sense now he'll just try and outscore the poorer teams in the division and try to use sissoko and mitrovic to counter against the better teams

Sorry if SEB (copyright RTG), but has anyone mentioned his post match comments?  Very Pardew'esque when speaking about Sissoko.  "Easy to see why top 4 clubs want him and why he wants to play in the Champions League.  If he plays like that every week, then that's no problem".  Or something like that.

Kind of thought he may be looking for consistency from him, hence why he mentioned playing like that "every week".  As he is so hit and miss, it is unreal.  But I still wasn't mad keen on the comments. 

I fancied us for a big win yesterday, but didn't see us bagging 6.  Fair play to McClaren.  Needs to kick on now.  Shame there isn't another low pressure game coming up and it's the derby next week.  As I would fancy us to win well again, if we were playing someone like West Brom or Stoke. 

But we didn't.

Two awful defences, yet one teams scored six the other scored two. We've showed glimpses of what this team is capable and it was the same again yesterday. Its not perfect, but after 1 win in 19 it was never going to be. It'll take time to restore confidence and ridding themselves of the last 12 months. Baby steps.

Don't think that was the tactic, tbh. Simpson was constantly telling them to push out. They were a nervous team without a win, sagging back was going to happen when the squad has the lack of character it does.

IF we had a striker in the Remy mould and a dynamic quality CM and stronger defense then i would like to see something like this.  (Yeah lots of if's and shit i know :lol:  )

Krul

Janmaat  Mbemba  New  New     

New

Sissoko        Wijnaldum

Perez

Mitrovic      New

let me try again - i'm saying it doesn't appear to be a targetted tactic that we're employing with any degree of focus or repetition, to get people out wide coming from deep and whipping crosses in to be attacked - in direct contrast to how good norwich were at it during the first half for example

it happened during the game, yes, but we're not very good at it is what i'm getting at :lol:

Dummett whipped one in beautifully within the first 5 minutes, like, should've happened more.

IF we had a striker in the Remy mould and a dynamic quality CM and stronger defense then i would like to see something like this.  (Yeah lots of if's and s*** i know :lol:  )

Krul

Janmaat  Mbemba  New  New     

New

Sissoko        Wijnaldum

Perez

Mitrovic      New

This would be great if we had a really top DM,but definitely not the case.

In actuality I would actually play that with Ayoze beside Mitrovic and then De Jong/Thauvin behind them.