Steve McClaren

Dave

Just about the defence, but the Bassong chance and the Janmaat penalty shout would be my biggest concern. We are clearly vulnerable to set pieces, and probably give away more free kicks in promising areas that we should.

Sorry if SEB (copyright RTG), but has anyone mentioned his post match comments?  Very Pardew'esque when speaking about Sissoko.  "Easy to see why top 4 clubs want him and why he wants to play in the Champions League.  If he plays like that every week, then that's no problem".  Or something like that.

Kind of thought he may be looking for consistency from him, hence why he mentioned playing like that "every week".  As he is so hit and miss, it is unreal.  But I still wasn't mad keen on the comments. 

I fancied us for a big win yesterday, but didn't see us bagging 6.  Fair play to McClaren.  Needs to kick on now.  Shame there isn't another low pressure game coming up and it's the derby next week.  As I would fancy us to win well again, if we were playing someone like West Brom or Stoke. 

Basically what we've been saying on here.  On his game he's great but if he wants to play in the CL he needs to do it week in week out.  He's obviously an ambitious lad and wants to play at the top, you're not going to motivate him with the pride of the city or the love of the shirt but make him see that the only way to achieve his dreams is to put in the work each and every game and we might get a player.

Just about the defence, but the Bassong chance and the Janmaat penalty shout would be my biggest concern. We are clearly vulnerable to set pieces, and probably give away more free kicks in promising areas that we should.

It was a blatant penalty but TBF something like that happens at nearly every corner in every game of the season.

This is what worries me about Sunderland, FS will be looking to exploit that with his favourite hit-it-high tactic. They'll be looking for set pieces around the box.

This is what worries me about Sunderland, FS will be looking to exploit that with his favourite hit-it-high tactic. They'll be looking for set pieces around the box.

Iron Mike time?

:lol:

IF we had a striker in the Remy mould and a dynamic quality CM and stronger defense then i would like to see something like this.  (Yeah lots of if's and s*** i know :lol:  )

Krul

Janmaat  Mbemba  New  New     

New

Sissoko        Wijnaldum

Perez

Mitrovic      New

Jetro Willems at LB, Berahino at ST next to Mitrovic and get a brute dynamic CM who can play and hold shit together behind Sissoko/Wijnaldum and that's a team. Ain't a fucking clue who to buy to play CB but someone like Matip or at minimum 6 foot 2 or something with some strength.

It's imperative that the person brought in at CB or CM/DM be a leader/captain and one who doesn't "lead by example"

For me, armband should go to Wijnaldum sooner than later - latest in the summer.

Iron Mike time?

:lol:

I know your kidding but Lascelles would be more likely

IF we had a striker in the Remy mould and a dynamic quality CM and stronger defense then i would like to see something like this.  (Yeah lots of if's and s*** i know [emoji38]  )

Krul

Janmaat  Mbemba  New  New     

New

Sissoko        Wijnaldum

Perez

Mitrovic      New

Jetro Willems at LB, Berahino at ST next to Mitrovic and get a brute dynamic CM who can play and hold shit together behind Sissoko/Wijnaldum and that's a team. Ain't a fucking clue who to buy to play CB but someone like Matip or at minimum 6 foot 2 or something with some strength.

It's imperative that the person brought in at CB or CM/DM be a leader/captain and one who doesn't "lead by example"

For me, armband should go to Wijnaldum sooner than later - latest in the summer.

Think Berahino is a bit similar to Perez. Don't think we should be breaking up the Perez-Mitrovic second striker/striker partnership anyway

I'm not, I'm adding Berahino in for his pace/ability and converting Perez full time to a SS / ACM / #10  - Berahino, Mitro, and Perez in a diamond 3 would be incredible IMO.

I just don't think it's really necessary and think they may all just get in each other's way if they are all up there. I think 442 like we've been playing lately with Wijnaldum and Sissoko on the wings but with licence to roam is our best bet.

Also that midfield in the above example would limit the freedom that Wijnaldum and Sissoko have as they would need to help out more defensively

I'm not, I'm adding Berahino in for his pace/ability and converting Perez full time to a SS / ACM / #10  - Berahino, Mitro, and Perez in a diamond 3 would be incredible IMO.

I just don't think it's really necessary and think they may all just get in each other's way if they are all up there. I think 442 like we've been playing lately with Wijnaldum and Sissoko on the wings but with licence to roam is our best bet.

Also that midfield in the above example would limit the freedom that Wijnaldum and Sissoko have as they would need to help out more defensively

Good point, don't disagree with you. I just think we can eventually be deadly in all situations with the midfield and front 6 I've outlined. I really think Ayoze is a classy #10 in the making and Berahino is more a second striker, off shoulder, but dynamic in all of his movement and pace.

But I hear you :thup: and wouldn't change what works either right now.

If we're fixing the 4-4-2 then its LB, CB, CM x 2 that needs fixing.

Krul

Janmaat    Mbemba    Matip    Willems

Anita        Shelvey

Sissoko                                    Wijnaldum

Mitrovic        Perez

We need centre mid, wide option and centre half before anything else.

The one thing we lack off the ball is good organization and seem to run around like headless chickens. I don't think defence is the main problem as they get no protection from that midfield and end up outnumbered.

We need players closing down opposition and also reducing space to run in to

Krul

Anita        Shelvey

Mitrovic        Perez

Was just going to mention going in for Shelvey or someone of his ilk.

Krul

Anita        Shelvey

Mitrovic        Perez

Was just going to mention going in for Shelvey or someone of his ilk.

Looks good but would flog Cisse for someone who gives a shit. If Mitro gets knackered we will be in trouble.

Priorities:

1. CB starter (Matip type)

2. LB starter (Willems)

3. RB backup (?)

4. CM starter (?)

5. GK competition (rest of season starter / competition or replacement for Krul)

6. ST competition  (Austin? Berahino?)

7. RW competition (Redmond, Narsingh type - pacy with eye for goal)

8. CB backup/competition