Steve McClaren

Dave

Priorities:

1. CB starter (Matip type)

2. LB starter (Willems)

3. RB backup (?)

4. CM starter (?)

5. GK competition (rest of season starter / competition or replacement for Krul)

6. ST competition  (Austin? Berahino?)

7. RW competition (Redmond, Narsingh type - pacy with eye for goal)

8. CB backup/competition

I know this is a very simplistic way of looking at things, but you can gloss over other weaknesses throughout the team by improving the spine. If there's ever the opportunity to improve CF/CM/CB, I'd pick that ahead of any other position. I don't think any of our full-backs are bad players. If we had a better midfielder in front of the back four, the team would probably improve a great deal.

I'd love a better left-back but I wouldn't call it a priority. You've only got to look at some of our teams gone by to know that full-back is rarely a priority; we've had differing levels of success with the likes of Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor, James Perch and even going as far back as Aaron Hughes and Andy Griffin at full-back. The difference then was that our options at centre-mid weren't as limited as Colback, Anita and Tiote - none of which can protect the defense. And when I say protect the defence, I don't necessarily mean positionally, off the ball - but because they don't dictate possession. All three of them handle the responsibility of getting back and making blocks fairly well imo; their weaknesses (and, as a result, the team's weaknesses) are really amplified when we're actually on the ball.

Significant investment at centre-mid and our team would look better all over the park imo, such is the nothingness of all of Colback, Anita and Tiote.

Priorities:

1. CB starter (Matip type)

2. LB starter (Willems)

3. RB backup (?)

4. CM starter (?)

5. GK competition (rest of season starter / competition or replacement for Krul)

6. ST competition  (Austin? Berahino?)

7. RW competition (Redmond, Narsingh type - pacy with eye for goal)

8. CB backup/competition

f***ing nee chance from Ashley, thats about 5 or 6 seaons worth of transfers.

CM is a priority but I think having a significantly better left back would help us a lot. Imagine having Enrique in his prime instead of what we've got now. It'd make a huge difference.

Well you can point to any potential upgrade and say it would improve us. But significantly bolstering the centre-mid would fast-track the team's improvement altogether though, imo. It's such a vital position.

1. CM

2. CB

3. LB

... is how I'd prioritise it. 

Guest Howaythetoon

Makes you wonder why we went in to this season with many gaps still to fill...

Even if there is money to spend, its all about getting the best deal still. That money has to stretch very far. 15m on Austin? We can afford it, but we value him at 10m and we are sticking to that. Our whole player recruitment policy is holding back the club so much its insane. The team is crying out for experience, but the 26 and under policy kills that.

Guest Howaythetoon

From what I've heard there is £150m to be spent over 3 transfer windows for McClaren.

Over the NEXT three windows or including the previous one?

Including the previous one.

From what I've heard there is £150m to be spent over 3 transfer windows for McClaren.

Over the NEXT three windows or including the previous one?

Including the previous one.

£100m left over the next two windows should still give us a decent chance of a sustained improvement in the first eleven.

Yet there was a recent news article that claimed McClaren's wishlist included a commanding centre back who was vocal, but was told that sort of player would be too expensive to buy so we handed Colo a contract extension instead. Does that mean the £150m is being split up into £50m segments for each window? What would be the advantage of doing that rather than just improving the team right now?

Yet there was a recent news article that claimed McClaren's wishlist included a commanding centre back who was vocal, but was told that sort of player would be too expensive to buy so we handed Colo a contract extension instead. Does that mean the £150m is being split up into £50m segments for each window? What would be the advantage of doing that rather than just improving the team right now?

That article made no sense though thinking on it now.

Well it was probably made up, but at the end of the day we still ended up giving Colo a contract extension rather than buy the commanding centre back that we needed.

Well it was probably made up, but at the end of the day we still ended up giving Colo a contract extension rather than buy the commanding centre back that we needed.

Yeah, but even assuming we had finite resources set at 40-50m over three windows or whatever why extend his contact? Why spend on Thauvin when we had Cabella if he wanted a CB? Etc.

CM is a bigger problem than CB IMO, part of the issue is that the midfield doesn't protect the defence at all and doesn't put the attack in a decent position to score either.

A better CM would help solve both problems as it links it all together and I agree with Ikon we don't just need one but two :lol: