Steve McClaren

Dave

The timing of the subs by McClaren is grating me. 88 and 90 minute is pointless unless there is an injury or your really trying to batten down the hatches with defensive players.

Yesterday we needed a twist to try and force a second goal. The best way to do that is to give one of your attacking players a break and introduce a new element. Perez and Doumbia at 60-70 mark is what I wanted, gives them plenty of time to get involved and change the game.

We didn't need a twist though. It wasn't as though we were struggling to break them down, we were creating plenty of chances and seeing plenty of the ball. We were actually creating the better chances as the game went on.

We weren't finishing them though. Perez and Doumbia could have changed that. Plus I think it's important they always get some sort of game time.

The substitution thing was a joke, Townsend was knackered after about 70 minutes and kept losing the ball - bringing on Perez was the right move to make at that time too as we're still creating chances but we couldn't finish anything at all. Because of how terrible our finishing is he needs to give Doumbia some minutes and fast if he's the man to put them away for us - really we should be winning by 3-4 goal but in true Newcastle United fashion we just keep on making things unnecessarily difficult for ourselves.

McClaren needs to go, he still clearly doesn't know his best team, his best formation or what to do with the players he has. His setup away from home is nothing short of Pardew-like and I'm starting to see more similarities as we go on in regards to his clueless decisions. Our reluctance under Mike Ashley to ever appoint a decent manager will continue to keep us in this position season after season, a lot of the McClaren bashers now have disappeared for another week instead of keeping on because we beat the only team in the league besides Norwich that we are capable of beating right now - it's no wonder Ashley constantly wins when a lot of the fickle knackers who support the club lap up even the slightest positive because under his tenureship it's something we have become grateful for.

We didn't need a twist though. It wasn't as though we were struggling to break them down, we were creating plenty of chances and seeing plenty of the ball. We were actually creating the better chances as the game went on.

Exactly my thoughts a swell.

We were still all over West Brom and there was no need for a change. I dare bet, had he changed it yesterday on 60 or 70 minutes and then West Brom started coming into the game, everyone who is saying we needed a change would have been hammering McClaren for changing the team and disrupting it when we were so in control.

EDIT: I do agree that Townsend probably did need to come off earlier though. He was looking tired. A straight swap with Perez would have probably been a positive one.

I could understand disrupting the game with changing defensive players, but bringing on Perez and Doumbia would hardly of resulted in us being unable to keep up our attacking drive. I think they would have brought a finishing edge we lacked. Sissoko was drawing blanks all afternoon.

I think people only look at it like this because McClaren has had the team so dysfunctional that it looks as if we can only play 1-way - Sissoko on the wing, Gini behind Mitrovic with 2 midfieldiers sitting behind him (even though we've been shit for about half a season using the same system).

We're effectively limited to making the Perez for Townsend change (which still came far too late imo). Even though our squad is fairly imbalanced that still shouldn't be the case, we should be able to bring on a 2nd striker to kill the game off.

I think people only look at it like this because McClaren has had the team so dysfunctional that it looks as if we can only play 1-way - Sissoko on the wing, Gini behind Mitrovic with 2 midfieldiers sitting behind him (even though we've been shit for about half a season using the same system).

We're effectively limited to making the Perez for Townsend change (which still came far too late imo). Even though our squad is fairly imbalanced that still shouldn't be the case, we should be able to bring on a 2nd striker to kill the game off.

Yep, this.

Exactly my thoughts a swell.

We were still all over West Brom and there was no need for a change. I dare bet, had he changed it yesterday on 60 or 70 minutes and then West Brom started coming into the game, everyone who is saying we needed a change would have been hammering McClaren for changing the team and disrupting it when we were so in control.

EDIT: I do agree that Townsend probably did need to come off earlier though. He was looking tired. A straight swap with Perez would have probably been a positive one.

Totally agree with this. No need to risk any changes imho.

Just been reading some comments on reddit from Derby fans following Clement's sacking. A surprising number of them still really like him, and are saying the football they played under him last season was better than they have under Clement. I'm actually pretty gobsmacked they still like him.

Some examples I've cut & paste:

"I'd love him back. The football we played under him was a million times better and that wasn't an exaggeration!

Problem is that the team has had it's heart ripped out and chucked in the bin."

"If he gets you playing he's great, just hope no one else offers him a better job or he'll be off. But only after he promised all your players you're going places and they sign new contracts turning down big moves. Cheers Schteve."

"Our football has been poor all season. Say what you like about Schteve being a muppet but the football was great. Miss thrashing teams and the quick one touch passing."

"I don't like it but I can see why they've done it. For the past two years we've been playing some really attractive football and the team spirit was obviously at an all time high. Even when we've been playing well this season we've looked nowhere near as good as we did under McClaren and we're only near the top due to our defence being sublime (for the most part). It's pretty obvious as well that some of the signings have come with a huge ego and really upset the dressing room while not showing on the pitch why they've been bought (yes, you Blackman). Either way I wanted him to have more time."

Just a few of many.

Just been reading some comments on reddit from Derby fans following Clement's sacking. A surprising number of them still really like him, and are saying the football they played under him last season was better than they have under Clement. I'm actually pretty gobsmacked they still like him.

"I'd love him back. The football we played under him was a million times better and that wasn't an exaggeration!

"If he gets you playing he's great, just hope no one else offers him a better job or he'll be off. But only after he promised all your players you're going places and they sign new contracts turning down big moves. Cheers Schteve."

"Our football has been poor all season. Say what you like about Schteve being a muppet but the football was great. Miss thrashing teams and the quick one touch passing."

"I don't like it but I can see why they've done it. For the past two years we've been playing some really attractive football and the team spirit was obviously at an all time high. Even when we've been playing well this season we've looked nowhere near as good as we did under McClaren and we're only near the top due to our defence being sublime (for the most part). It's pretty obvious as well that some of the signings have come with a huge ego and really upset the dressing room while not showing on the pitch why they've been bought (yes, you Blackman). Either way I wanted him to have more time."

Just a few of many.

Tbf, the football we are playing looks pretty easy on the eye compared to the Pardew nightmare years, it's just not very effective. Partly due to having a crap midfield for most of the season, and also weaknesses at the back and up front.

Just a few of many.

Tbf, the football we are playing looks pretty easy on the eye compared to the Pardew nightmare years, it's just not very effective. Partly due to having a crap midfield for most of the season, and also weaknesses at the back and up front.

His style of football is one of the reason's I have wanted him to stay, and give him the season, we've played decent football at times, and we've missed a hell of a load of chances, that if put away would mean we'd be nowhere near where we are, and been generally unlucky. It's just there seems to be games where the players just can't give two shits, and we look fucking atrocious, I don't know if that's just a lingering effect from the Pardew years, or if there is something deep in the club thats causing it. That said he's now had two windows and the first 11 is massively different to this time last year, so he has to start to pull results out the bag.

Just a few of many.

His style of football is one of the reason's I have wanted him to stay, and give him the season, we've played decent football at times, and we've missed a hell of a load of chances, that if put away would mean we'd be nowhere near where we are, and been generally unlucky. It's just there seems to be games where the players just can't give two s***s, and we look f***ing atrocious, I don't know if that's just a lingering effect from the Pardew years, or if there is something deep in the club thats causing it. That said he's now had two windows and the first 11 is massively different to this time last year, so he has to start to pull results out the bag.

Got nothing to do with Pardew he is just a shit manager anf that performance against Everton was worse than I have seen anthing Pardew come up with. The fact that he is even being discussed in the same breath as Pardew fully illustrates how shit a manager he is. This team has won six games, scored 26 goals (6!!!!! away from home) and conceded 44 goals and is massively in danger of going down. Not one other premier club would touch this clown with a barge pole.

That was worse than anything you saw us do under Pardew? What?

That 3 - 0 defeat which could have been at least 8 or 9 oh yes it was. That was one of the worst performance from a Newcastle team I have seen in over 40 year of watching

McClaren will no doubt treat Chelsea like they are the team of last season and give them all the possession on Saturday.. instead of getting stuck in and trying to give them a game. I will be surprised if he doesnt mess it up tactics wise at the weekend.

Agree