Steve McClaren

Dave

I know he'd never appoint them, but when you think you've got managers of the quality of Benitez, Bielsa, Sampaoli, Rudi Garcia, Favre (even Moyes, Pearson or Rodgers) available..

Took me about 30 seconds to think of this lot. There will be a huge amount more that I haven't listed.

Think Pearson would be the only one we could attract to the club sadly,

I know he'd never appoint them, but when you think you've got managers of the quality of Benitez, Bielsa, Sampaoli, Rudi Garcia, Favre (even Moyes, Pearson or Rodgers) available..

Took me about 30 seconds to think of this lot. There will be a huge amount more that I haven't listed.

Moyes would take it on.

Someone like Garcia or Sampaoli would come here and realise within minutes that we don't have players that are capable of playing the way they want to. The same thing that Klopp is finding at Liverpool and Garde has found at Villa. So they'll try and settle on some hybrid of what they want to do vs masking the lack of pace of Colo  / lack of heart of Sissoko, etc. And what we'll get is more of the same as what we get now, occasional moments of promise shot down by regular beatings.

This is a product of 5 years of flawed recruitment and shit management of those players (Thanks Alan). No players remain that fit any kind of style / formation and they look as if they don't know each others' names.

Moyes would take it on.

Maybe would be happy with him..

Someone like Garcia or Sampaoli would come here and realise within minutes that we don't have players that are capable of playing the way they want to. The same thing that Klopp is finding at Liverpool and Garde has found at Villa. So they'll try and settle on some hybrid of what they want to do vs masking the lack of pace of Colo  / lack of heart of Sissoko, etc. And what we'll get is more of the same as what we get now, occasional moments of promise shot down by regular beatings.

This is a product of 5 years of flawed recruitment and s*** management of those players (Thanks Alan). No players remain that fit any kind of style / formation and they look as if they don't know each others' names.

You get someone as good as Garcia or Sampaoli in and we would stay up. Our squad, whilst flawed in many ways, is strong enough to stay up relatively comfortably if you had a good manager.

The recent investment came to try and improve the squad enough for us to stay up. If they thought it was worth investing in the manager they'd have done so at some point in the last six years.

But following this logic they've "learned" enough of a lesson from their transfer policy to abandon it, spend £80m in 6 months and signing English players along they way to keep us up. Quite a departure from the previous 4 - 5 years.

There's no reason why they now wouldn't fear relegation enough to employ a better manager because it's the only part of their "blueprint" they haven't yet changed to try and avoid relegation.

I agree it's unlikely but lose to Stoke and Bournemouth and I think it becomes more of a likelihood personally.

Lose to Stoke and Bournemouth and we'll be in the bottom three with only nine games left. What manager worth their salt would take that job, even if we were to miraculously realise their importance? The names bandied about in here wouldn't. They don't need to. Even McClaren himself turned it down in similar circumstances ffs. :lol:

Lose to Stoke and Bournemouth and we'll be in the bottom three with only nine games left. What manager worth their salt would take that job, even if we were to miraculously realise their importance? The names bandied about in here wouldn't. They don't need to. Even McClaren himself turned it down in similar circumstances ffs.[emoji38]

I don't know like, perhaps offering Moyes £2m (or 3 or 4) as a bonus to keep us up with the promise of the job might be enough. The job is still a big one in football, especially if they intend to spend again in the summer as they'll need to, then we could feasibly have a decent side next year with a good manager.

Lose to Stoke and Bournemouth and we'll be in the bottom three with only nine games left. What manager worth their salt would take that job, even if we were to miraculously realise their importance? The names bandied about in here wouldn't. They don't need to. Even McClaren himself turned it down in similar circumstances ffs. :lol:

This, absolutely - if McClaren is going to be sacked, now is the only possible time if a newcomer is to have ANY hope of keeping the club in the PL....my view is that Ashley will bottle it and McClaren will take the club down.

This, absolutely - if McClaren is going to be sacked, now is the only possible time if a newcomer is to have ANY hope of keeping the club in the PL....my view is that Ashley will bottle it and McClaren will take the club down.

Not sure they could get anyone better than McClaren, . The Summer was a great chance to get someone decent all they seemed to have on their list was McClaren, who turned them down a few weeks earlier. So I am not sure they would have a clue who to go for. Sad times I think

Yup. He isn't getting sacked tomorrow so we've very much made our bed.

Had a f***ing wicked dream McClaren was stopped at the departure gate on the way to catch the team's  flight to the training camp because Ashley sacked him on the way to the airport so his flight tickets were cancelled.

From the Chronicle:

McClaren looked a beaten man as he prowled the touchline during the closing stages, and you have to wonder if his days are numbered.

There’s an 18-day gap now before United play again - the perfect time to make a change, perhaps?

McClaren isn't very good but the idea that this team should be comfortably mid-table is a very misguided one. Not enough goals and a poor defence.

We'll agree to disagree there. A better manager wouldn't have us near the bottom three. I'm pretty sure of that.

It's irrelevant like.

There's no excuse for the sloppy play last night, we were wide open time and time again. McClaren is an abomination of a manager, especially away from home. He should've gone months ago, I'm now at the point where I can't see him being sacked. It's unbelievable, it really is.

They only need to ask a manager to take over to the end of the season. If things go well then great, if we get relegated they can walk away. We may even get a new manager bounce for once. It's worked for plenty of other clubs. Even if they decide to keep McClaren and we some how managed to stay up I'd sack him in the Summer. He's failed.

McClaren isn't very good but the idea that this team should be comfortably mid-table is a very misguided one. Not enough goals and a poor defence.

We'll agree to disagree there. A better manager wouldn't have us near the bottom three. I'm pretty sure of that.

It's irrelevant like.

Same here, I just don't get it, we've had shit managers for 5 years yet some people can't or won't look past the players. Perhaps there's no goals and a leaky defence in part because the coaching and tactics are shit as well?

The idea that people think Mitrovic, Perez, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Shelvey, Townsend & Aarons aren't good enough to be firing us out of the bottom three is beyond my ability to comprehend.

He's got to make some changes to the side, especially away from home. It's really annoying that he doesn't freshen things up from time to time, Southampton are absolutely flying but made 3 unforced changes to their side yesterday and low and behold they won again. 

He should have brought Prerez in, he probably should have started Colback at LB who is more suited to the position than Aarons.