Steve McClaren

Dave

Another day of dawdling and indecision by a group of chimps hopelessly out of their depth. Another day that will come back to bite us on the arse as we slip without a splash into the Championship.

Another day of dawdling and indecision by a group of chimps hopelessly out of their depth. Another day that will come back to bite us on the arse as we slip without a splash into the Championship.

Not if that day has been spent sounding out not just possibilities but managers who have basically said yes. Then it's been the best possible way to handle the situation. We can't go without a manager to the end of the season, we need to have our replacement lined up before we pull the trigger. Smac knows that, he'll have been told it's over if they can agree someone else to come in who they think will make that difference. If not then he continues on and if he keeps us up he gets to stay next season.

Not if that day has been spent sounding out not just possibilities but managers who have basically said yes. Then it's been the best possible way to handle the situation. We can't go without a manager to the end of the season, we need to have our replacement lined up before we pull the trigger. Smac knows that, he'll have been told it's over if they can agree someone else to come in who they think will make that difference. If not then he continues on and if he keeps us up he gets to stay next season.

You have more confidence in them than me. Remember how long it took them to appoint the latest failure?

You have more confidence in them than me. Remember how long it took them to appoint the latest failure?

They had a plan though, and went with it rightly or wrongly (of course wrong but they didn't see it like that) regardless of the set backs and pressure to change.

If thryve got something better lined up they'll take it. It's whether that is the case or not, they could be stalling out to pass enough time, it's the wrong decisions which will cost the club millions mind, I can't see Ashley taking that kind of gamble.

That probably is exactly what is going on TT, but it's quite hard to find a manager willing to work for £50k plus a Sports Direct staff discount card

Personally I don't think it's anything to do with money, but about control. The two go hand in hand mind as managers who want control over transfers and be a manager rather than head coach will want the bigger wages, or at least believe they command it.

They'll pay money to a manager good enough but he'll have to play the players they buy and be called coach. Until that changes we go nowhere but down.

They had a plan though, and went with it rightly or wrongly (of course wrong but they didn't see it like that) regardless of the set backs and pressure to change.

If thryve got something better lined up they'll take it. It's whether that is the case or not, they could be stalling out to pass enough time, it's the wrong decisions which will cost the club millions mind, I can't see Ashley taking that kind of gamble.

Their plan was to appoint a second rate Manager who had just been Sacked by a Championship team. That speaks volumes for me tbh, they will fuck around and probably end up sticking with him because of their "business model".

I understand they can't just sack him off without a succession plan but the fact they haven't seen it coming is horrific. I have 0 faith in them making a good appointment.

Hope I'm wrong mind.

Ashley&co gamble like they did with Carver? they wont sack Mr. Toothfairy until last game is played?  :suicide:

Carver was a calculated gamble due to the points on the board already. The only thing worse than sticking with him is sacking him and being turned down by the handful of people who could actually turn it around.

If they were going to sack him, they'd have done it by now imo.

They'll do exactly what they did with Carver, offer some managers some ridiculous terms and get turned down then come back and offer their full backing to SMC.

I'll be absolutely amazed if we fire SMC and hire anyone competent. The problem is though, the job is less and less attractive the more trouble we get into. We currently have a fighting chance of staying up so somebody could take it, but two defeats on the trot would put us firmly in the shit and nobody will want to risk coming to us.

If we were a proper football club with a proper board you'd assume they were trying to sort out a replacement before getting rid tonight but given that it seems he's going to take charge of training tomorrow that doesn't seem to be the case. Saying that, a proper football club wouldn't have appointed him in the first instance.

Surely even they can't be clueless enough to believe keeping him ensures anything but relegation?

Who in their right mind would look at the current situation and think do you know what, this man can get us through this, theres absolutely no evidence to suggest he can.

Pay the fucker off now get someone else in and new manager bounce might be enough to keep us up. It's the only way forward.

Guest ElCid

Ashley has never sacked a manager for poor results. That's not about to change now

Then the fucker deserves losing millions, being stranded in the Championship for a few seasons and crowds reducing by more than 50% because it will happen if he doesn't. Is he really going to take that chance this time and gamble losing an absolute fortune?

I do football clubs :lol: we have a training complex and football stadium in Newcastle, yet they decide to catch a train to York to go and hold a meeting.

Why not have a meeting in one of the many rooms that we have in the training complex/stadium? Both of which are private and have security, yet we decide to catch a very public train to York.

Bet they absolutely love their expense claims like, such a ridiculously easy job.

Ashley has never sacked a manager for poor results. That's not about to change now

Sure we've always more points at this stage before though haven't we? not many but definitely more, the way we're going more than 1-2 wins would be a massive surprise.

Yeah but I figure he just refuses on principle to work with anyone he either doesn't know personally or hasn't vetted extensively. That would explain the extreme reluctance to sack managers, the hostility towards managers he didn't appoint (Allardyce, Hughton), and the ridiculous amount of time it takes us to actually appoint anyone.

McClaren is someone who's clearly been vetted by the club for a very long time so they will be highly reluctant to sack him, probably even if it means relegation.

Problem is the money Ashley loses for us going down is probably the equivalent to us losing £100.

Its not like, he might be worth billions theoretically but its not like he makes hundreds of millions of pounds every week, not to mention the fact he's a man completely driven by money.  He'd fucking hate to lose that kind of cash.

Think it'll come down to delusion/stupidity if he keeps him rather than not being bothered.  Does seem to be something happening anyway, don't think this ever happened with Pardew (meetings without him, journo's sure he was going ect).

Fat Sam?

Was that not a change of direction. Given that he was FS appointment.