Steve McClaren

Dave

They're worried that if they sack SMc nobody of any repute will come and work in the present set-up. Changing the set-up is only an option Ashley can force, and he doesn't seem inclined. So they've gone away to think if Tim Sherwood et al are really better options than the SMc. Just maybe they could entice someone good (Rafa) on a 10 game contract, but then if he succeeds and wants to stay, Carr and the gang will lose their power base. It's a lose-lose scenario for the Board.......unless SMc can turn it round....which he can't....but just maybe they can give him two more games...oh it's Tuesday...Wednesday...too late to change now....it will be different when the injuries clear

Guest chopey

Ashley has nowhere to turn Nobody will come for passion or pride or loyalty so the only thing left for him to offer is the one thing he coverts the most.......hard cash just pay some gunslinger a bounty to keep us up and then take stock in the summer.

I'm actually more confident he is gone then yesterday. The club would normally be all over quashing these sort of rumours. With Charnley being spotted at the station, most NE journalists seemingly adamant he is gone and the deafly silence from the club, he's probably gone.

The main issue is they would have no shortlist at all or even thought about it until probably Saturday. I think this will drag along until Friday/ Saturday when we will bring in our 4th/5th choice manager. Probably Redknapp, Pearson or Cathro until the end of the season.

Guest jimbo2308

His appointment proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that no one at the club has ANY idea about football in the past 15 years.

His supporters tried the "he's not a manager, he's a coach"......no, he's not. He's a relic.

And if any Ashley supporters remain, it's your 'saviour' who has doomed our club.

I know clubs often talk of having a list of transfer targets as contingencies if they ever sell some of their players. Do you think that they do the same for managers as well?

I mean obviously I wouldn't expect our lot to do that, but clubs with a competent board I mean.

I think this is the model failing. The equation "good enough to keep us up" and "no demands" was close to collapsing under Pardew. In McClaren they thought they'd be able to replicate it, adding a bit more spending because of the tv deal and to get rid of last seasons revolutionary tendencies. But no.

Is there anyone left to choose from? I don't think so. I don't think anyone that match their criteria will step up this time. I don't see why Moyes or Rodgers would walk into this, not under the circumstances Ashley would want them to. And if someone is stupid enough to do it, I don't think it'll help because of what they inherit. He's created a incurable and poisoned culture of failing that he's not going to fix.

We're fucking doomed and it's probably for the best.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/07/newcastle-steve-mcclaren-expected-sacked?

Steve McClaren’s future at Newcastle United remained in a state of damaging limbo on Monday night although the former England coach is expected to be sacked within the next 48 hours.

On Monday Newcastle’s board met to formalise crisis talks which had begun on Sunday after the 3-1 surrender the day before against Bournemouth at St James’ Park. McClaren is still scheduled to take training on Tuesday morning.

Lee Charnley, the managing director, Graham Carr, the chief scout, and the club ambassador, Bob Moncur, met in York where alternatives to McClaren were discussed and a process of “due diligence” began on the potential of certain candidates to lead an escape from relegation.

Two notable absentees were Mike Ashley, the owner, who remained in London but will make the final decision, and McClaren, whose position as a director has always been somewhat semantic.

Keith Bishop, a key adviser to Ashley, is said to have been in frequent contact with Charnley, who has been reluctant to dismiss McClaren and was not prepared to rush into a hasty sacking.

Despite Newcastle being second bottom of the Premier League there is believed to be no lack of out-of-work managers interested in the potential vacancy. Their number is understood to include two former Liverpool managers, Rafa Benítez and Brendan Rodgers, and the former Everton coach David Moyes. With the former Leicester manager Nigel Pearson also available Newcastle have much to ponder. McClarenis thought to have waited for news of his fate at his home on Teesside on Monday while his players had a day off before preparations for their trip to Leicester, the league leaders, next Monday night.Given that neither Benítez nor Moyes is likely to be overly enamoured with Newcastle’s management structure, under which the head coach coaches and Carr and Charnley take care of recruitment, this painful hiatus could well endure while protracted negotiations take place.

Even so, time is short and the prospect of losing countless millions by missing out on the next television deal could yet prompt Ashley to reach a swift decision, identifying a coach he believes capable of bringing the best out of an underperforming squad.

:lol:

I know clubs often talk of having a list of transfer targets as contingencies if they ever sell some of their players. Do you think that they do the same for managers as well?

I mean obviously I wouldn't expect our lot to do that, but clubs with a competent board I mean.

Southampton do.

From their website.

Reed says that the club is constantly working to identify future managers and coaches, just as it does with prospective player signings.

It was that approach, he reveals, that left Southampton with a list of potential appointments to work off from the moment that Pochettino resigned at the end of last month.

“The interesting thing is that, while we were endeavouring to ensure that Mauricio stayed, there was always the possibility – as there is at any time in a manager’s tenure – that we might part company,” explained Reed.

“You have to have a succession plan up your sleeve, which is what we had, so we possibly had six-to-ten candidates on our ongoing research list.

“Some time before [Pochettino’s departure], we began updating and making sure we knew the status of those candidates.

“Like targeting players and doing the background analysis and due diligence we do on them on a daily basis, we’ve always done the same process with regard to managers and coaches.

“Because we have access to fantastic video footage and data from clubs all around the world that we collate on a regular basis, that gives us an idea of styles of play and the ways certain coaches like their teams to be set up.

“We have always kept an eye on up and coming coaches, which is how we ended up recruiting Mauricio Pochettino. That [appointment] was the result of a lot of hard work, research and diligence based on what he’d done as a coach at Espanyol in terms of developing players, bringing them through and overachieving for a club that wasn’t particularly well-funded.

“Of course, when it was announced that Mauricio was actually leaving, we were inundated with enquiries,” continued Reed.

“When this has happened before, if you got – I’ll throw a number out there – 40 enquiries, probably 30 of them would be speculative. This time, we had the odd one-or-two crank applicants, which were entertaining, but by and large we were amazed at the level of applicant who wanted to show interest in the job.

“We were astounded. To me, that shows the esteem which this club has in the industry.

“In the end, we whittled it down from managers who’ve won trophies, won leagues, won European competitions, had vast experience of playing in the Champions League and European cups and so on.

“We’ve had [interest from] international managers and from all continents like South America and Asia, but we were quite delighted that, when we got down to the final four, all four of them had been on our list originally.

“I can’t give away any secrets, but we are now closing in on a preferred candidate. Things are going well.

“What takes time on these things is the paperwork, but I’m hoping we can get that sorted very quickly and the fans will be excited about an announcement coming up sooner rather than later.”

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/12062014-les-reed-on-new-manager-1640712.aspx#SXmkzIy8zX3KrCWK.99

Guest Phillipealbert

Imagine if this time tomorrow Rafa Benitez is Newcastle manager  :o Imagine

Maybe 10 years ago, but not a chance now.  We'll be lucky if we get Nigel Pearson, but probably end up with Charnley as Manager.

They're worried that if they sack SMc nobody of any repute will come and work in the present set-up. Changing the set-up is only an option Ashley can force, and he doesn't seem inclined. So they've gone away to think if Tim Sherwood et al are really better options than the SMc. Just maybe they could entice someone good (Rafa) on a 10 game contract, but then if he succeeds and wants to stay, Carr and the gang will lose their power base. It's a lose-lose scenario for the Board.......unless SMc can turn it round....which he can't....but just maybe they can give him two more games...oh it's Tuesday...Wednesday...too late to change now....it will be different when the injuries clear

Even if nobody wanted to right now permanently, all they have to do is offer the best managers they can think of £1m to manage us for 10 games and a huge bonus for keeping us up.  They'll have plenty of managers much better than McClaren ready to take a couple of months out of their schedule to make some huge money.  For us it would be a drop in the ocean to what we'd lose if we were relegated, so money very well spent.

I think this is the model failing. The equation "good enough to keep us up" and "no demands" was close to collapsing under Pardew. In McClaren they thought they'd be able to replicate it, adding a bit more spending because of the tv deal and to get rid of last seasons revolutionary tendencies. But no.

Is there anyone left to choose from? I don't think so. I don't think anyone that match their criteria will step up this time. I don't see why Moyes or Rodgers would walk into this, not under the circumstances Ashley would want them to. And if someone is stupid enough to do it, I don't think it'll help because of what they inherit. He's created a incurable and poisoned culture of failing that he's not going to fix.

We're f***ing doomed and it's probably for the best.

Yep, good post, fully agree.

We're f***ing doomed and it's probably for the best.

Yep, good post, fully agree.

I think you both vastly underestimate the amount of desperate, out of work managers there are. Especially has been Brits.

All they need to do is somehow keep the club up, buy a couple of defenders and a striker in the summer after hiring said has been. Hope they're not as shambolic as McClaren. Rinse and repeat.

Guest The Little Waster

" I think you both vastly underestimate the amount of desperate, out of work managers there are. Especially has been Brits. "

Incidentally ...wheres Steve Bruce these days ?