Steve McClaren

Dave

I live/work in Derby, speak to Derby fans on a daily basis and been to a few of their games under SMC. The football played was light years ahead of Pardew, Carver, Pulis, Fat Sam etc etc. You can't say he failed at Derby either, he essentially got Nigel Clough's perennial 15th place finishing squad into the playoff final.

So why did they sack him ?

Because he was being poached by us behind the scenes for the last 6 months.

It's how I read it. They got tired of his interest and chit chat about our job.

I live/work in Derby, speak to Derby fans on a daily basis and been to a few of their games under SMC. The football played was light years ahead of Pardew, Carver, Pulis, Fat Sam etc etc. You can't say he failed at Derby either, he essentially got Nigel Clough's perennial 15th place finishing squad into the playoff final.

The form after Xmas was disgraceful and the common thinking is that the players lost focus after we tried to poach McClaren. They also have new ambitious owners willing to take a punt on an unproven manager.

Remi Garde, once considered an option by United, is not being considered this time around after failing to impress during a first round of interviews in January when it was felt that the job may be beyond him.

What a load of shit  :lol:

Legitimately the craziest shit I've ever seen from a sports team.

Guest GallowgateKev

He did a decent job at the burra didn't he?

Cup win and European cup final...

Not sure on his overall league performance though...

Regardless whether he failed or not taking into account the relative strength of the squad at his disposal, the fact remains he was sacked from his last four jobs, the last two of which in a lower league. He is also known to have had problems with the TD system and with owners who did not want to splash the cash. Quite how anybody could look at him and think he is the appointment that will galvanise this failing club is beyond me.

Guest Brendan_Rice

He'd turned us down twice and committed to them. If they'd rated him they'd have kept him.

It is f***ing desperate if we are still wanting to offer him the job after him turning us down twice.

The reason I don't want McClaren is that if he really wanted the job, he'd have come in January. Now it's like we're his fallback option compared to Derby.

But I don't particularly want Garde either.

The form after Xmas was disgraceful and the common thinking is that the players lost focus after we tried to poach McClaren. They also have new ambitious owners willing to take a punt on an unproven manager.

Nuff said

Guest Roger Kint

I don't buy the players losing focus after we tried to poach him like, and if that was the case I certainly don't want a manager at the club who loses the dressing room the moment his name appears in the papers.

Managed to lose the dressing room while Bent scored 10 in 15 and Ince getting 11 in 17 during the last 6 months. Impresive stuff really to lose that many :lol:

He'd turned us down twice and committed to them. If they'd rated him they'd have kept him.

He was hedging his bets, probably would have stayed if Derby had got promoted. If I was the Derby owner that would piss me off as well.

I happen to think Derby's initial rise says more about Clough than it does about McClaren

Why was Clough sacked then? You can't have it both ways like.

Didn't realise I was trying to. Clough is shite and had the club in a falsely poor position. That doesn't make McClaren good enough to manage Newcastle United.

A brave new world then eh?! Not much! :( Lessons not being learned again - more of the same, which is what most of us knew would happen.

More of the same, with the added bonus of being told you can't moan about it because you should have been careful what you wished for when we weren't happy with getting turned over 4-0 every other week under Pardew.

Newcastle United decide to go with an experienced option after Patrick Vieira's representatives feel that Magpies blueprint isn't for them

So we've tried getting a young, untested but promising foreign manager just setting out on his managerial career, and seeing as he's turned us down we're going for our back-up option, the complete opposite, a dinosaur older British manager seen as a safe bet to achieve mediocrity. We don't actually have a clue what our 'blueprint' is, do we?  I like this Ford Focus, do you have it in blue?  No?  OK, uh, I'll take the skateboard then.