Steve McClaren

Dave

Few people saying some form of announcement is imminent with official stuff on Tuesday when he is back. What a time to be alive, just wish i was as mind numbingly dumb enough to think better than Carver is a valid reason to accept this

Unhappiness is the unfortunate curse of geniuses such as yourself mate, its tragic really :(

I don't think its acceptable.  But I can understand people who are sick to death of hating their team and wanting them to lose all the time.  Carver staying meant continuing that, or even walking away altogether.  McClaren is "good enough" to at least be able to watch your side and hopefully not want to kill yourself every weekend.

I don't see the point in hiring anyone if the same flawed coaching staff are going to remain exactly the same.

While I was having a read through that forum there was a thread there that a couple of their coaches were probably on their way here as well. Simpson and Round I think.

Did he actually have them playing decent football like? I never saw them under him but I'm just struggling to imagine it :lol:

From what I've seen they at least keep the ball on the deck. No hoof ball.

Did he actually have them playing decent football like? I never saw them under him but I'm just struggling to imagine it :lol:

If you subscribe to the idea that fans know their own club better than anyone else, then yes, he did.

I only tended to see them when it was on Sky when it actually mattered, twice against Boro, against Wolves towards the end of the season with both after a play off place, and in the derby against Forest. They were startlingly bad in all four games. Suspect there was a hint of the flat track bully about them.

They should have beat QPR in the play off the year before like.

They played very well in that game I thought, looked like a good side. Long time ago now.

I agree it's an underwhelming appointment but if he gets the job I'll support him. With a bit more money to spend this summer he could do quite well. I'm not going to write him off as the second coming of Pardew or worse. McClaren is a much better coach than Pardew ever was. He'd be good for some of our younger players, Perez, Aaron's, etc. Its about time some of our players got some proper coaching, of which he'll deliver. I'm sorry but we could do a lot worse given our boards track record.

Guest GallowgateKev

Lass I used to be giving my pork sword to is a smoggie, she swears by him being a good manager. Said she seem some of the best football she's seen at Boro Under him.

TBF - Cup final win and a European cup final aren't bad.

He'll always be the wolly with the brolly though

If you subscribe to the idea that fans know their own club better than anyone else, then yes, he did.

It depends who the fans are, we literally had half of our fan base beating the Alan Pardew drum up until last year.

Derby had the best squad in the Championship and he should have won that league by a mile.  The man is a smarmy wimp and an Alan Pardew clone.  Been sacked from every club bar Middlesborough because he took over the England job and fucked that up.  At Boro he had some really good players, Hasslebank Juhninio (can't spell it) Southgate and others. He was shit at Forest and the Dutch league which he won is a bit like the SPL with only 2 or 3 teams with any chance.

and the Dutch league which he won is a bit like the SPL with only 2 or 3 teams with any chance.

To be fair to him though Twente aren't usually one of those teams and weren't they more or less bankrupt when he took them over?

Most Boro fans I know couldn't wait to see the back of him.

:thup:

Yeah, same. I'm talking at least 7 or 8 who celebrated his departure. They're quite a weird lot, though, in fairness.

Derby had the best squad in the Championship and he should have won that league by a mile.  The man is a smarmy wimp and an Alan Pardew clone.  Been sacked from every club bar Middlesborough because he took over the England job and f***ed that up.  At Boro he had some really good players, Hasslebank Juhninio (can't spell it) Southgate and others. He was s*** at Forest and the Dutch league which he won is a bit like the SPL with only 2 or 3 teams with any chance.

Of which FC Twente was not one tbf.

Derby had the best squad in the Championship and he should have won that league by a mile.  The man is a smarmy wimp and an Alan Pardew clone.  Been sacked from every club bar Middlesborough because he took over the England job and fucked that up.  At Boro he had some really good players, Hasslebank Juhninio (can't spell it) Southgate and others. He was shit at Forest and the Dutch league which he won is a bit like the SPL with only 2 or 3 teams with any chance.

Yeah but they aren't one of them. :lol:

The Eredivisie is the real star on his CV, to win that with Twente. His cup runs don't mean anything more to me than Graeme Souness's do.

Don't forget that he went back later though and flopped big time.

Guest Gino14

It was definitely the case for all the Boro fans I knew.  They did have respect for him and were thankful for what he'd done, but there was a feeling that things were on the decline badly and they were ecstatic that England took him off them, a bit like we were when Palace took Pardew.

It depends who the fans are, we literally had half of our fan base beating the Alan Pardew drum up until last year.

Plenty at the ground still supported him blindly, but close to 0 on any forum I read backed Pardew.  Seems like most Derby fans on their various forums think he had them playing really well and doing well.  Until his lack of denials towards our interest took his eye off the ball and they went to shit (again Derby fans opinions not mine).  I'm not going to let that make me believe he's a good manager.  But I think it supports the opinion that he's much better than Pardew.

Plenty at the ground still supported him blindly, but close to 0 on any forum I read backed Pardew.  Seems like most Derby fans on their various forums think he had them playing really well and doing well.  Until his lack of denials towards our interest took his eye off the ball and they went to shit (again Derby fans opinions not mine).  I'm not going to let that make me believe he's a good manager.  But I think it supports the opinion that he's much better than Pardew.

This is the view that I hear too.

Guest taps01

Derby had the best squad in the Championship and he should have won that league by a mile.  The man is a smarmy wimp and an Alan Pardew clone.  Been sacked from every club bar Middlesborough because he took over the England job and f***ed that up.  At Boro he had some really good players, Hasslebank Juhninio (can't spell it) Southgate and others. He was s*** at Forest and the Dutch league which he won is a bit like the SPL with only 2 or 3 teams with any chance.

Not sure Derby had the best squad in the championship

Twente hadn't finished in the top 2 or 3 for years (if ever) until he arrived though.

Howay man, not even the daftest of our lot would say we played good football under Pardew. We knew (and still know) the truth of what happened to the team under Pardew, why is it different for the Derby fans?

Not sure Derby had the best squad in the championship

A damn sight better than a few of the sides who finished above them though.

I work there so I've been asking around for a few months, general consensus is he was the best they've had and going to the match was enjoyable.

I sound like I'm backing this appointment in here, I'm not, but he'll get the benefit of the doubt from me, he's done enough to warrant that imo.

Howay man, not even the daftest of our lot would say we played good football under Pardew. We knew (and still know) the truth of what happened to the team under Pardew, why is it different for the Derby fans?

I was actually quite surprised when I had a look at the Derby forum. I saw hardly any negative comments and most seemed to think he'd done wonders for their club. How much of that was down to the owners investing in players I don't know, but they all seemed to think he got them playing good football.