Steve McClaren

Dave

Most Boro fans I know couldn't wait to see the back of him.

I work there so I've been asking around for a few months, general consensus is he was the best they've had and going to the match was enjoyable.

I sound like I'm backing this appointment in here, I'm not, but he'll get the benefit of the doubt from me, he's done enough to warrant that imo.

They were on the pitch throwing season tickets at him months before he left. :lol:

Can't believe you're back on board with a bloke who's just had the bullet from Derby and Forest. I certainly won't be back while he's here.

I work there so I've been asking around for a few months, general consensus is he was the best they've had and going to the match was enjoyable.

I sound like I'm backing this appointment in here, I'm not, but he'll get the benefit of the doubt from me, he's done enough to warrant that imo.

They were on the pitch throwing season tickets at him months before he left. :lol:

Can't believe you're back on board with a bloke who's just had the bullet from Derby and Forest. I certainly won't be back while he's here.

I must be speaking to different people, either that or they're lying?

Define back on board, I won't be setting foot in SJP until Ashley leaves. I'll be watching the games again, is that back on board?

Did he actually have them playing decent football like? I never saw them under him but I'm just struggling to imagine it :lol:

If you subscribe to the idea that fans know their own club better than anyone else, then yes, he did.

It depends who the fans are, we literally had half of our fan base beating the Alan Pardew drum up until last year.

Howay man, not even the daftest of our lot would say we played good football under Pardew. We knew (and still know) the truth of what happened to the team under Pardew, why is it different for the Derby fans?

I was just answering the question of whether or not I subscribe to the idea that fans know their own club better than anyone else, I do, if the fans in question aren't idiots :lol:

If the general consensus from Derby fans is actually that he plays decent football then fair enough, I'll have to believe it when I see it though.

Either he will be big hit or he will be a big miss. All his spells are good or bad. Boro seems good, then England disaster. Then Twente Success followed by Wolfsburg disaster along with Twente again and Forest again disaster. Derby is a success.

This show me he has 50-50 chance here. One thing for sure being a mate of Carr will give him one of the best chances. Players like Anita and Marvoux will get a new lease of life as well. It was too late for last year releases.

Did he actually have them playing decent football like? I never saw them under him but I'm just struggling to imagine it :lol:

If you subscribe to the idea that fans know their own club better than anyone else, then yes, he did.

It depends who the fans are, we literally had half of our fan base beating the Alan Pardew drum up until last year.

Howay man, not even the daftest of our lot would say we played good football under Pardew. We knew (and still know) the truth of what happened to the team under Pardew, why is it different for the Derby fans?

I was just answering the question of whether or not I subscribe to the idea that fans know their own club better than anyone else, I do, if the fans in question aren't idiots :lol:

If the general consensus from Derby fans is actually that he plays decent football then fair enough, I'll have to believe it when I see it though.

Yeah, fair enough.

Define back on board, I won't be setting foot in SJP until Ashley leaves. I'll be watching the games again, is that back on board?

Glad to hear it.

Hindsight perhaps? Rose tinted view because of the cup?

He was extremely unpopular by the end, mainly for his horribly negative football.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/onthisboroday-2006-irate-boro-fan-8573275

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/bernie-slaven-steve-mcclaren-wasnt-6914404

It's understandable trying to rationalise this seemingly imminent appointment by looking at his CV and the opinions of fans from his previous clubs and saying he will get a fair crack of the whip if appointed, but the fact remains that it should never have come to this. Which other club this size whose owner has just come out two weeks ago to claim he wants the club to win something or qualify for Champions League football would even give 2015 Steve McClaren a second look, let alone crawl back to him after being rejected twice in the past six months?

Yes, he is definitely better than John Carver (who isn't even a manager) and yes, he is probably even slightly better than Pardew, but this is another opportunity (same as in January) for Mike Ashley to wipe the slate clean and start afresh by making an ambitious appointment and giving that man some decent backing. There are plenty of good candidates, young up and coming managers with decent pedigree available and seemingly interested. Appointing Steve McClaren under these circumstances is a p*ss take, especially with the three stooges apparently remaining in place too. If this happens, the club deserve pelters, not "meh, could have been worse, I will give it a chance and see what happens". It's as clear a sign as you could have wished that nothing will change under this ownership until the fans collectively force it to happen.

Seems almost universal agreement on here that it should never have come to this.  That doesn't mean we all have to agree that he has his sides play shit Football or that he's as bad as Pardew.  If Derby fans say otherwise I'll assume they know better than me until I see for myself.

It's understandable trying to rationalise this seemingly imminent appointment by looking at his CV and the opinions of fans from his previous clubs and saying he will get a fair crack of the whip if appointed, but the fact remains that it should never have come to this. Which other club this size whose owner has just come out two weeks ago to claim he wants the club to win something or qualify for Champions League football would even give 2015 Steve McClaren a second look, let alone crawl back to him after being rejected twice in the past six months?

Yes, he is definitely better than John Carver (who isn't even a manager) and yes, he is probably even slightly better than Pardew, but this is another opportunity (same as in January) for Mike Ashley to wipe the slate clean and start afresh by making an ambitious appointment and giving that man some decent backing. There are plenty of good candidates, young up and coming managers with decent pedigree available and seemingly interested. Appointing Steve McClaren under these circumstances is a p*ss take, especially with the three stooges apparently remaining in place too. If this happens, the club deserve pelters, not "meh, could have been worse, I will give it a chance and see what happens". It's as clear a sign as you could have wished that nothing will change under this ownership until the fans collectively force it to happen.

What opportunity? I never thought there was even the slightest chance of Ashley turning over a new leaf and that's why I'm not particularly disappointed with the appointment of McClaren.

As far as mediocre and uninspiring English managers who should be just good enough to keep us in the league go, he's pretty decent.

Derby had the best squad in the Championship and he should have won that league by a mile.  The man is a smarmy wimp and an Alan Pardew clone.  Been sacked from every club bar Middlesborough because he took over the England job and f***ed that up.  At Boro he had some really good players, Hasslebank Juhninio (can't spell it) Southgate and others. He was s*** at Forest and the Dutch league which he won is a bit like the SPL with only 2 or 3 teams with any chance.

Not sure Derby had the best squad in the championship

A damn sight better than a few of the sides who finished above them though.

The bit about the Dutch league is total bollocks mind

Glad to hear it.

He was extremely unpopular by the end, mainly for his horribly negative football.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/onthisboroday-2006-irate-boro-fan-8573275

On the second link pic is that our former GK coach under Hughton?

Derby had the best squad in the Championship and he should have won that league by a mile.  The man is a smarmy wimp and an Alan Pardew clone.  Been sacked from every club bar Middlesborough because he took over the England job and f***ed that up.  At Boro he had some really good players, Hasslebank Juhninio (can't spell it) Southgate and others. He was s*** at Forest and the Dutch league which he won is a bit like the SPL with only 2 or 3 teams with any chance.

Not sure Derby had the best squad in the championship

A damn sight better than a few of the sides who finished above them though.

The bit about the Dutch league is total bollocks mind

The whole post is complete rubbish really.

What opportunity? I never thought there was even the slightest chance of Ashley turning over a new leaf and that's why I'm not particularly disappointed with the appointment of McClaren.

As far as mediocre and uninspiring English managers who should be just good enough to keep us in the league go, he's pretty decent.

Well I wasn't exactly confident it would happen, but there is no denying that it was/is an opportunity to do so if he was so inclined. He will never get a better chance in any case. If he doesn't do it now he never will.

I'm not going to make it personal with McClaren. He always seems a decent bloke to me. I will also at least give him a chance to show what he can do.

Sadly the bigger picture tells us that it's an opportunity missed or shall I say avoided since its a deliberate attempt by Mike Ashley and Co to keep things safe (by probably being in a relegation battle for half a season).

It doesn't change anything, Ashley Out etc but I won't be jumping on McClaren until he starts making enough mistakes to warrant it.

I suspect we will finish midtable, perhaps top half. To most of St James Park that will be a successful season. Apathy reigns.

Can I continue to give the club pelters but watch the games and hope we win?

Glad to hear it.

On the second link pic is that our former GK coach under Hughton?

Yup, Paul Barron

You can do whatever you want mate. I will probably still watch the games too and hope we win, as I did for the West Ham game despite being entirely fed up with the club. As others have said though, the majority of fans will probably consider McClaren the very least the club could have done to appease them. This appointment will likely not cause the outrage it absolutely deserves, but will not get us anywhere either. Guess who wins again. :(

You can do whatever you want mate. I will probably still watch the games too and hope we win, as I did for the West Ham game despite being entirely fed up with the club. As others have said though, the majority of fans will probably consider McClaren the very least the club could have done to appease them. This appointment will likely not cause the outrage it absolutely deserves, but will not get us anywhere either. Guess who wins again. :(

Meh, I've fully filled my quota of outrage. No appointment would have appeased me in any case.

As for the people who will be appeased by this, they were probably hopeless to begin with.

Also, look on the bright side. We may still get Carver! :yao:

From a neutral point of view, giving the job to an unknown quantity like Vieira would have looked even more risky, if a lot more exciting. I just don't think McClaren is as badly regarded in the rest of the country as he is here. Most people will think "Ex-England boss with a good reputation". I must admit I never really liked the bloke but I think he can coach far better than Pardew or Carver.

From a neutral point of view, giving the job to an unknown quantity like Vieira would have looked even more risky, if a lot more exciting. I just don't think McClaren is as badly regarded in the rest of the country as he is here. Most people will think "Ex-England boss with a good reputation". I must admit I never really liked the bloke but I think he can coach far better than Pardew or Carver.

Not sure if I agree, though I can see what you mean about neutrals not seeing it as such a bad appointment. There are far better, experienced coaches and managers available from the continent who could've been taken on merit and not dismissed as rookies.

Exactly. I didn't want Vieira either, although I admit he would have been more exciting. I wanted a Garde, De Boer, Gourvennec type of appointment. Someone young and ambitious and proven to an extent, ready to make the step up to a bigger league. The sort of appointment the likes of Spurs or Southampton would have done.

Exactly. I didn't want Vieira either, although I admit he would have been more exciting. I wanted a Garde, De Boer, Gourvennec type of appointment. Someone young and ambitious and proven to an extent, ready to make the step up to a bigger league. The sort of appointment the likes of Spurs or Southampton would have done.

It's just hard for me to understand how you had any semblance of hope about this appointment.