Value For Money Signings

Tooj

I thinking about this earlier on today at work, now we've spent a fortune in recent years on some absolute dross, but over the years how many true value for money signings have we made?

Obviously me only being 22, I'm just speaking from my perspective on what I perceive to be the best value for money signings we've made.

The first name on my list that springs to mind, one Rob Lee.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39316000/jpg/_39316711_lee_203x152gi.jpg

Bought for a bargain £700,000 from Charlton, he gave us everything over his decade at the club. Pedro was without doubt the catalyst for our fantastic form during that first season in The Premiership, but Lee was the bedrock of that.

The best and most consistent midfielder I've seen during my tenure as a supporter , just followed by Speedo. Lee was fantastic for us, a true box to box midfielder, he scored goals, made goals for us, covered many a blade of grass, was an excellent passer of the ball as well.

Then there's this man.

http://dev.football365.co.za/site_images/118739.jpg

This little magician brought us so much over the years, his calming influence on the pitch, his excellent technique, fantastic crossing and set piece ability. A dream for someone like Shearer to play with. The man never seemed to misplace a pass, always knew where to pass it to, made the game easier for those around him, which is always the sign of a good player.

Me dad still always says this man, for the £150,000 we paid for him first time round, you'd struggle to find a better value for signing the club ever made, seeing as he's most likely the greatest player we've ever had in his eyes. Can't say I disagree with him mind, just gutted I never got to see Pedro the first time round.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8840/peterbeardsleygg0.jpg

NE5, Mick, Pie, Rob W etc threads like this is when your inputs are all greatly appreciated.  blueyes.gif

Hmmm, Shearer?

guess Given is another then 10yrs service to the club and been a key player, you just have to look at how much man u have shelled out on trying to find a good keeper option how badly you miss a good keeper

Ginola was fantastic value for money, only cost about £2.5m or so wasn't it?

He annihilated teams in his first year.

Then sulked when we wouldn't let him move to Barca, the cunt.

Spurs are way better than Barca man!

how much we pay for ketsbia i really miss that baldy

Temuri Ketsbaia thats him got to be a good shout due to the fact we got him for nothing he did ok for us and we sold him on for nearly a million and how often do we ever sell players on for a profit

Given has got to be up there out of the current squad.

Sibbers done well for a small fee.

I always thought Scott Sellars was great value too. A lovely little player. Good football brain.

Sellars was quality, one of my favourite players when I was younger.

Agree on Given, for £1m or whatever it was is an absolute steal.

how much we pay for ketsbia i really miss that baldy

Temuri Ketsbaia thats him got to be a good shout due to the fact we got him for nothing he did ok for us and we sold him on for nearly a million and how often do we ever sell players on for a profit

would've made his wages the time he was here with that goal in Zagreb n all.

Bellamy i thought offered value for money

Acuna never the team down, only cost a mil or so.

also want to say Faustino Asprilla due to some incredible performances but can't remember his fee so maybe not

Oh no he didn't.

You'll struggle to find many better individual performances than Tinos against West Ham in 96 like. Not my favourite player but credit where its due.

also want to say Faustino Asprilla due to some incredible performances but can't remember his fee so maybe not

Oh no he didn't.

You'll struggle to find many better individual performances than Tinos against West Ham in 96 like. Not my favourite player but credit where its due.

No I meant oh no he didn't, as in oh no he didn't nominate him, as Tino's performances were few and far between for my liking.

Was that the 4-0 win when he scored that lovely chip over Les Sealey? :)

Oh no he didn't.

No I meant oh no he didn't, as in oh no he didn't nominate him, as Tino's performances were few and far between for my liking.

the soul reason for not giving him a mention was just the fact I can't remember how much the transfer fee was beacause he was like a world wind in one min few seasons under his belt went off chasing glory and faded away

Oh no he didn't.

the soul reason for not giving him a mention was just the fact I can't remember how much the transfer fee was beacause he was like a world wind in one min few seasons under his belt went off chasing glory and faded away

Wasnt it like £5m or so?