Wigan set for £16m Owen bid?

stozo

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif  :idiot2: :idiot2:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/11/28/bruce-plots-bid-to-entice-owen-61634-20169758/

Bruce plots bid to entice Owen

Nov 28 2007 by Paul Gilder, The Journal

STEVE Bruce is planning to test Newcastle’s resolve to hold on to Michael Owen as he prepares to make an audacious attempt to lure the £16m striker to Wigan.

But Owen’s sole focus is on regaining his place in United’s starting XI having returned to the club’s training ground following intensive treatment for a torn thigh muscle at a leading clinic in Munich.

That the 27-year-old has stepped up his rehabilitation programme cannot fail to act as a fillip for Sam Allardyce as he attempts to recover from his team’s latest destabilising Premier League defeat.

Yet the under-pressure Magpies boss will not be alone in keeping a close eye on the England international’s progress as January’s transfer window approaches.

Having taken charge at the JJB Stadium this week, Bruce has drawn up an ambitious shopping list as he attempts to recruit the players he feels are required to guarantee Premier League survival. Owen’s name is understood to feature on it.

Wigan’s Corbridge-born boss – then in charge at Birmingham – tried to sign the striker prior to his record-breaking move to St James’s Park from Real Madrid in 2005. Owen also rejected an offer from Latics chairman Dave Whelan in order to join Newcastle. The Journal understands that, having joined forces this week, Bruce and Whelan have revived their interest in the former Liverpool favourite. The latter has earmarked significant funds for squad strengthening and informed his manager that he has no qualms about bankrolling a move for such a high-profile player. Yet encouragement from the North-East is not expected.

Less than a month has passed since Owen admitted that he has become both bemused and frustrated about the speculation that continues to surround his future plans. “I’m still here, and I’m loving it here,” insisted a player contracted to Newcastle for a further 18 months. “There hasn’t been a month without someone saying that I’m going here, there or everywhere. But I’m looking forward to continuing the season at Newcastle.”

Allardyce last month warned Owen’s suitors

not to bother bidding for the striker and insisted that Newcastle’s asking price would prove prohibitive. But, although the ill-conceived release clauses inserted into the player’s contract are no longer valid, the 53-year-old admitted that his determination to retain his number 10’s services would weaken were a transfer to be demanded.

While Manchester City’s long-held interest in Owen remains a concern, Wigan’s interest isn’t expected to appeal. Bruce is keen to pair the forward with Emile Heskey, his England team-mate, but the Latics boss is understood to be realistic about his chances.

Owen’s immediate concern is his fitness rather than his future and having returned from Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt’s renowned clinic this week, the striker is determined to make his latest first-team comeback as soon as possible.

The initial diagnosis suggested that Owen would spend six weeks on the sidelines. But having made a positive response to the treatment he has received in Bavaria, it is hoped that the healing process can be expedited.

That will come as welcome news for Allardyce as he strives to recover from Saturday’s damaging 3-0 defeat by Liverpool. Owen will not be available for Saturday’s difficult game at Blackburn, but Abdoulaye Faye and Steven Taylor might be.

The pair missed last weekend’s debacle, but are hoping the respective hamstring and back problems that sidelined them will have cleared up in time to enable them both to participate at Ewood Park. David Rozehnal and Jose Enrique stand to lose their places.

Although Newcastle have taken just one point from the last 12 available, more than 5,000 supporters are expected to travel to Blackburn this weekend. “That’s fantastic,” said Allardyce last night. “It makes me more determined to do well for them and it’s something that I’ll be reminding the players about this week. It’s amazing. It shows the passion that our fans have for the club.”

Meanwhile, Falkirk manager John Hughes is keen to keep on-loan goalkeeper Tim Krul until next summer. The Dutchman’s current contract is nearing an end, but Hughes hopes Allardyce will agree to extend it.

Matty Pattison, on loan at Norwich, is keen to make his move to Carrow Road a permanent one having been reunited with Glenn Roeder. United officials are not expected to oppose his departure.

So say the Shields Gazette, The Journal and The Northern Echo this morning.

I'd bite their hands off at that price.

I'd bite anyones hands off for half that price

He could still do a job with no hands could'nt he, Wigan cannot sack Bruce just for having his hands taken off, the only problem is the little fker would refuse to join Wigan anyway.

Mort should be around at Owen's house now helping him pack!!

£16mill striker Bruce's bid will be £9mill.

Guest Stephen927

"Matty Pattison, on loan at Norwich, is keen to make his move to Carrow Road a permanent one having been reunited with Glenn Roeder. United officials are not expected to oppose his departure."

:clap:

not going to happen - but if, i'd sell. only due to his injury record, as i dont think you can get a better striker at that price tbh

It's probably just made up from previous stories, and Owen seems quite a proud man who'd be very reluctant to join Wigan.

BUT... he's very rooted in that area, particularly with his horses, and he may be tempted. I wouldn't rule it out.

I'd definitely sell, if we had a replacement lined up. He doesn't fit in with the way Allardyce wants to play.