D.Mail says D.Mirror says Eriksson thinks he's getting Owen for £8m

Mags Serbia

I still think he should be able to get fit and play 40 games a season. It's not bassed on anything but I think he can. When he moves to city I'm sure he stays fit and scores 15 goals this season, that's just us.

How about we actually keep him, and buy some quicker, more creative players to bring the best out of him when he does play, as come Jan, Martins will be off to the Nations Cup, Viduka can't be relied on and the less said about Shola the better.

This is coming from someone who isn't a fan as well.  :thup:

He can have the white elephant for me - he'll get maybe a dozen games a season (if he's lucky) and maybe half a dozen goals (no denying his ability)

Get out of Toon: Newcastle put £8m Owen up for grabs

By MARTIN HARDY

Last updated at 22:22pm on 13th December 2007

Michael Owen's miserable stay at Newcastle will end during next month's transfer window if the club can find a buyer.

Newcastle are ready to cut their losses on the England striker, who cost them £17million to sign from Real Madrid in the summer of 2005.

Manager Sam Allardyce has contacted Manchester City's Sven Goran Eriksson to see if he is interested in Owen. The two worked closely together during the Swede's five-and-a-half years in charge of England but although Eriksson is keen, City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has blocked any deal because of the 28-year-old's wretched fitness record since he moved to St James' Park.

Owen has started only 21 games since joining Newcastle. When his £105,000-a-week salary is taken into account, the deal has so far cost them more than £30m.

Newcastle will want about £8m and fear the former Liverpool striker would be available for nothing at the end of next summer if he is not sold. There has been no sign of a contract extension and Owen is eager to be playing European football at this critical stage of his career.

Owen is expected to return against Derby on Sunday week after spending more time on the sidelines because of the damaged hamstring he picked up on international duty with England.

Allardyce would prefer to do a deal towards the end of January, which would give Owen time to prove his fitness.

Newcastle will be without Obafemi Martins during the African Nations Cup next month and will need a ready-made replacement.

Crucially, Allardyce has been told he has little cash for transfers during the January window and will have to generate his own finance. If he can find a buyer for Owen, he will be given the funds for new players.

Owen's miserable injury record has contributed to Newcastle's disappointing form over recent years and former manager Sir Bobby Robson will tonight stir the pot further by claiming the club's problems can be traced back to his departure from St James' Park.

Robson was in charge for five years before being sacked after a poor run of results at the start of the 2004-05 season.

Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder followed but failed to live up to expectations and now Allardyce, appointed in the summer, is the latest to feel the pressure.

'I took the club over when it was bottom of the league and in the last three years I was there it was third, fourth and fifth,' said Robson, 74, in an interview to be shown on on Setanta's Friday Football Show.

'We were in the top five for the last three years. I lost my job rather abruptly, I couldn't believe it. I didn't lose two consecutive matches and I lost my job, it was crazy. Without being egotistical, the club has suffered ever since.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=502036&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

Okay so here's the thing ...

Our resurgence has come since we switched back to the 4-3-3 which also gave us a decent amount of success at the beginning of the season, and you honestly have to wonder where Owen fits into all this when he returns.

I don't know if this is true but I wouldn't be surprised.

I am particularly worried about the lack of pace we will suffer from upfront when Martins departs in January. We will be frightfully slow as an attacking unit. Whether Owen stays or not I think this has to be addressed.

At the very least we could try and see if we could get Cisse on loan from Marseille if possible.

I think this story has some legs.

£8 million plus Vassell I'd take.

Owen's worth more than £6m. I'd take £8m though.

:laugh:

Harsh. But fair.

Manager Sam Allardyce has contacted Manchester City's Sven Goran Eriksson to see if he is interested in Owen. The two worked closely together during the Swede's five-and-a-half years in charge of England but although Eriksson is keen, City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has blocked any deal because of the 28-year-old's wretched fitness record since he moved to St James' Park.

Good. Please be true.

Guest Knightrider

Great player, a crock though and far too limited now. Serious questionable commitment issues too. Sell? We'd be daft not to. Indeed it's the only logical way out as he's never ever going to give us a return worthy of his record transfer fee and huge wages nor are we ever going to move on with such a limited player leading the line. Get rid and good riddance.

Times agrees with the mail. I hope this is true.  :clap2:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3048625.ece

Sven-Goran Eriksson starting to lose interest in Michael Owen

George Caulkin

Sam Allardyce has received reassurances from Sven-Göran Eriksson that Manchester City will not attempt to buy Michael Owen during the January transfer window. The former England head coach is an admirer of the striker, leading to widespread suggestions that there would be an official bid next month, but that scenario is no longer expected at St James’ Park.

The Newcastle United manager is understood to have contacted his City counterpart recently, with the aim of gauging Eriksson’s feelings about Owen. While the Swede selected the forward - who celebrates his 28th birthday today – as a matter of course during his mixed spell in international football, sometimes to the detriment of Newcastle, he is unlikely to take his pursuit farther.

Owen has started only 20 league matches for Newcastle since his £16 million transfer from Real Madrid in August 2005 and his chequered record with injuries over that period has caused a shift in opinion at the City of Manchester Stadium. Owen’s suspect fitness – he is nursing a strained thigh muscle – is said to be of particular concern to Thaksin Shinawatra, the City owner.

Owen has only one more full season of his £115,000-a-week contract to serve and will be free to discuss terms with rival clubs in 13 months’ time, but City’s waning interest allows Allardyce to concentrate on bolstering other areas of his team. In attack, he possesses a theoretical strength in depth, with Owen vying for a place with Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins, Alan Smith and Shola Ameobi.

Ameobi has emerged as a target for Middlesbrough and Norwich City, who are managed by Glenn Roeder, Allardyce’s predecessor, but of greater concern at Newcastle is how best to compensate for the loss of four players during the African Cup of Nations. Martins, Gérémi, the captain, Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye are expected to participate in the tournament.

Funds for new signings will be limited next month – Chris Mort, the chairman, has spoken of his desire to improve the club’s crop of young players – and the temporary departure of so many senior professionals represents a complication for Allardyce. “Of course this is causing me concern,” he said. “We all know what Martins, Gérémi and Faye are capable of and now Beye has started to play and is showing why we brought him here.”

With Nigeria insisting on calling up their players two weeks before the start of the competition, to be held in Ghana from January 20 to February 10, the prospective absence of Martins for more than a month is a particular worry for Newcastle. Berti Vogts, the Nigeria head coach, has said that his England-based players must assemble by January 6, the day Newcastle play Stoke City in the FA Cup third round.

Since his appointment in May, Allardyce has worked hard to improve his scouting network, a safety net that he may soon require. Vic Halom, the former Sunderland player, is monitoring the Bulgarian league for potential signings, while Chris McMenemy, who coached at Newcastle during the Kevin Keegan era, is fulfilling a similar role in Spain.

“We are constantly monitoring the situation and our scouts are out 24/7. We will just have to see how we go,” Allardyce said. “They are under instructions to find us quality players, but there are not that many of them out there.”

Wes Brown, who has rejected a new contract at Manchester United, is a long-term target of Allardyce, but he may not fit the profile of player being sought by Newcastle.

I think this story has legs as well, things have gone very quiet on the Owen front since the story in the Sun about how three "senior players" were unhappy, two of them held a press conference to say it was a load of lies. I wonder who the third one was?  :coolsmiley:

Either he's trying to engineer a move out or BS is cracking the whip and getting rid.

But we'll be stuck with him and his massive wages, because who else is going to come in for him? Capello dropped him for Real Madrid so he isn't going to be desperate to pick him for England. His motivation to play will get even less and he'll spend more time at his stables where his true interest lies (it seems).

We should have a bet on whether he'll be fit in January when Oba is away, I say he'll be fit for about three weeks and score 1 goal in that time.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Thaksin go for him whether Sven wants him or not.

I would think Owen is a bit of a legend in Thailand and will be a marketing dream for shirt sales etc and for Thaksin's ego.

May be wrong but if he was bought for £8m, he'd probably pay a fair whack of that back in year 1 from marketing sales etc.

Yes good thinking, and of course it's nearer his horses  as well, it suits all around.

Sam's obviously been told to raise funds by selling, fair enough. And I guess that when Ashley is on the town talking to the fans he's got the message there wouldn't be much protest if he was sold. It all adds to the mix.

But we'll be stuck with him and his massive wages, because who else is going to come in for him? Capello dropped him for Real Madrid so he isn't going to be desperate to pick him for England. His motivation to play will get even less and he'll spend more time at his stables where his true interest lies (it seems).

No, he didn't.