James Milner

Alberto2005

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Milner's been alright imo.  Some people are setting there standards too high imo.

True, expecting a winger to cross a ball accurately is clearly being too picky.  :rolleyes:

With the standard around ATM you'll be hard pressed to find many wingers that can cross accurately on a regular basis outside of the Ronaldos of this world.  I don't know whether it's a dying art but there's certainly a dearth of quality wingers in the league.

Bouzza looked very good the other night.

Milner has put in some decent crosses imo.  I really don't see a problem with him at all.  He's fairly young and is only improving with every season that comes and goes.  Give him a break.

Milner's been alright imo.  Some people are setting there standards too high imo.

True, expecting a winger to cross a ball accurately is clearly being too picky.  :rolleyes:

With the standard around ATM you'll be hard pressed to find many wingers that can cross accurately on a regular basis outside of the Ronaldos of this world.  I don't know whether it's a dying art but there's certainly a dearth of quality wingers in the league.

a dearth of quality forwards to read where an instinctive cross is going......even beckahm and giggs at their peaks often just put the ball in the right areas and two instinctive well drilled forwards done the rest

He's got to prove he's not completely and utterly past it, because that's all he's shown FOR US so far.

Duff isn't past it. He's been injured, you know.

He's been injured on and off for that long it's impossible to say what he's like now. I can't see it having made him any better though.

He's got to prove he's not completely and utterly past it, because that's all he's shown FOR US so far.

He's been injured on and off for that long it's impossible to say what he's like now. I can't see it having made him any better though.

I agree with that bit. Glad you can see that yourself.

How can you say for certain that he's not past it then? I'm basing this on his woeful performances in our colours up to this injury. It'd be great if he comes back and plays as well as his Blackburn days, and I appreciate him coming back gives us options, but I just can't see it happening.

We could certainly do with a player like the Duff of old in any case.

How can you say for certain that he's not past it then? I'm basing this on his woeful performances in our colours up to this injury. It'd be great if he comes back and plays as well as his Blackburn days, and I appreciate him coming back gives us options, but I just can't see it happening.

Quite obviously, I can't. The same as people can't say he's over the hill. What I do know is that on his ability pre-injury he's a damn sight better than Milner so if he comes back and is just as good as Milner I'll be gutted, because it'll mean we've lost something from the team and squad.

Quite obviously, I can't. The same as people can't say he's over the hill. What I do know is that on his ability pre-injury he's a damn sight better than Milner so if he comes back and is just as good as Milner I'll be gutted, because it'll mean we've lost something from the team and squad.

Fair enough. I just think what he's shown so far is pretty fucking poor, and he needs to convince me he'll be better than Milner as I'm sure at all.

To judge Duff he needs a consistent run in the team. I have my doubts about his relationship with Roeder as he had the odd good game for Eire even when he was playing shite for us so hopefully he'll get a new lease of life under Allardyce. Playing as well as Milner would be a massive improvement of the rest of his Toon career though.

Duff's been s*** for Newcastle. Why would he have got any better?

Duff at his best was in a completely different league to anything we have int he squad. He performed well for the Republic in his Newcastle days. Perhaps new manager and old injuroes clearing up will get something out of him. Whichever, we are hearing daft stories about forwards needing to read the wingers cross. If course some of that is true but why the fuck they would be stood in the Gallowgate is beyond me.

a dearth of quality forwards to read where an instinctive cross is going......even beckahm and giggs at their peaks often just put the ball in the right areas and two instinctive well drilled forwards done the rest

Yeah true. Michael Owen and Mark Viduka have a record of not knowing where the ball is going...... :lol:

I'd even say Martins would bury his fair share of chances from good crosses. The problem for the forwards has been a lack of service so far this season imo.

Milner will get better with every year that passes, he is a credit to the club and a proper professional.

He is a good pro. No one would dispute that. I like him too, not least for his attitude but he is quite limited for a wide man imo. He isn't a great crosser and he lacks a yard of pace. He makes the most of what he has though.

milner has looked far better than duff imo, keeps the ball and links play a lot better even if his end product is poor and he struggles to get clear of opponents. duff just seemed to put his head down and run into the corner when he;s played for us, and throw his hands up in despair everyone the ball was passed to someone else in a better position. mind you i can see duff fitting into a 4-3-3 better than a 4-4-2 as he;ll be further up the pitch and his lack of pace will be less of an issue.

Milner is a very good premiership player. He's not great and he's not world class but he does have the potential to be.

The fact that he's been playing out of position all season and has done as well as he has is testament to the lad's ability and professionalism.

If Duff can recapture his Blackburn/Chelsea form then we have anothe very good premiership player on our hands. He is undoubtedly a better player than Milner on his day but he also has 6-7 years more experience.

If we can get them both playing as we know they can, in the same team then we should be looking at goals and chances aplenty.

Milner will get better with every year that passes, he is a credit to the club and a proper professional.

He is a good pro. No one would dispute that. I like him too, not least for his attitude but he is quite limited for a wide man imo. He isn't a great crosser and he lacks a yard of pace. He makes the most of what he has though.

You could possibly say the same of Joe Cole, never been the quickest and can't cross.

Duff is a player that, for me, has always had to be 100% fit and sharp to be very effective, as he's not got a lot of tricks or ways to beat a man, so he relies on his quickness over a couple of yards to get himself in space.

But when he has that, he's a very dangerous player and I'd be vastly more hopeful of Duff making a consistantly positive impact than I am with Milner.

Sam puts a lot of emphasis on fitness, I've said since he was appointed that Duff could be one of the biggest beneficeries of Sam coming in.

milner has looked far better than duff imo, keeps the ball and links play a lot better even if his end product is poor and he struggles to get clear of opponents. duff just seemed to put his head down and run into the corner when he;s played for us, and throw his hands up in despair everyone the ball was passed to someone else in a better position. mind you i can see duff fitting into a 4-3-3 better than a 4-4-2 as he;ll be further up the pitch and his lack of pace will be less of an issue.

Fair points, and Duff has been atrocious for us so far and I was one of his biggest critics last year.

But is the purpose of a winger not to provide that bit of quality rather than just keep possession and link the play, as Milner does? Duff may lose the ball more often than not, but at least he's trying to get at the other team and ask them questions rather than just playing it safe, linking the play and really not providing much in the way of real problems for the opposition.

Ronaldo gives the ball away very regularly, but nobody says boo to him because they know that eventually he's liable to do something brilliant with it.

I'd play N'Zogbia down the left ahead of both of them though, personally.

Yeah true. Michael Owen and Mark Viduka have a record of not knowing where the ball is going...... :lol:

how many game s have they played for us ?

do you think viduka viduka is fully fit ? or do you think viduka is a poacher type of forward ?