James Milner

Alberto2005

Little end product today sadly, good commitment though.

Little end product in an attacking sense, you mean.

Well that's his job isn't it?

No. You think that's his only job as a wide player away from home when the opposition full-back is attacking down his flank?

Aye, he's just not very good at the end of the day God love him.

Who got raped all day? Was it N'Zogbia or was it Milner? Who prevented the majority of attacks down his side? SWP could've had a f****** hatful today and the same number of assists.

Aye, N'Zogbia isn't a full-back though is he?

And I'm thinking long-term, and long-term James Milner simply isn't good enough for where we want to get to.

N'Zogbia's infinitely more dangerous on the wing than Milner will ever be, as Parky says he'll potentially be a useful squad player one day, nothing more.

If N'Zogbia had worked as hard and had half the nous of Milner today, we'd probably have won.

And if Milner had half the talent and ability to actually create chances as N'Zogbia then we might have won too.

Oh. I can't be arsed. Milner's s****, N'Zogbia's king of the world. Let's move on.

Nice counter-point.

It wasn't a counter, I'm just sick of this thread, tbh. Milner performed his job superbly today, yet gets ripped for it. N'Zogbia performed his job poorly today, yet gets accolades.

Doubt you'll see anyone saying N'Zogbia did well defensively at all, people are just sick of him being played there when generally he looks our most dangerous player going forward and is pretty bad defensively.

I think he'd be fine defensively as a LW, when he's not the last man back on his side. Different ball game completely when you have a competent full-back behind you, as Milner does.

Milner worked very hard and was solid, but I want more than that from the wide men. They're the ones you expect to give you something different and make chances, even if they must frustrate you and lose the ball at times in trying to create something special.

Milner just doesn't have that ability to create that something special for me, even if he is a model pro who works very hard, whereas N'Zogbia does. That's all I'm saying.

Agree and no amount of hard work and spirit which he has in spades will ever give him the one or two components missing from his game sadly. Like him as a player mind.

Which sums him up.

Nice lad, works hard but we really need to be looking for better.

No. You think that's his only job as a wide player away from home when the opposition full-back is attacking down his flank?

Where did I say that's his only job?

Oh, piss off. :lol:

Love you too.

Love you too.

Is it worth giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you post tripe as some kind of juvenile wind-up? Or are you just thick?  :coolsmiley:

Love you too.

Is it worth giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you post tripe as some kind of juvenile wind-up? Or are you just thick?  :coolsmiley:

What are you on about now?

Guest Undertaker

My opinion of milner is that he is good at beating a player and making space to get a cross in but then his crosses are generally of low quality

is it possible our wide men are being unfairly castigated due to no forwards to help them.....martins positional sense woeful...viduka's mobility and pace of grey's monument and owen always injured.

bit like the days of yore when batty got slagged off for always going square when we had ian rush up front on his tod with 3 defenders.

In the last two games, lots of people have had their wish and Milner has played on the right.

He's looked better on the left.

In the first dozen or so games of this season he was very poor, easily the poorest he's been for us. He had an entire season last where he was quality on the right.

In the last two games, lots of people have had their wish and Milner has played on the right.

He's looked better on the left.

In the first dozen or so games of this season he was very poor, easily the poorest he's been for us. He had an entire season last where he was quality on the right.

and also our best on the left (if your talking last season)

We are the worst team in the league in terms of crossing and corners...

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1707/cornersandcrossingha4.jpg

All of which says as much about who they are crossing to than the people putting in the crosses.

Indeed Edd. Most of those sides down to Man Utd at the top have a tall striker who will win stuff - Carew, Berbatov, Crouch, Kuyt, Ashton, Cole, Jones, Mido.  I wish it were better, but it doesn't necessarily mean an awful lot. Chelsea and Arsenal aren't pulling up trees in that department.

Milner's crossing is poor though, how often does he put a ball in with power?

Most of them are high balls floated over which means the strikers are expected to not only beat the striker but generate the power to get the ball on target themselves.

Most of them are high balls floated over which means the strikers are expected to not only beat the striker but generate the power to get the ball on target themselves.

Very true. Robert's crossing was frustrating because it often didn't beat the first defender, but when it's put in lower and with such pace it will much more frequently result in a goal once past the first man.

Very true. Robert's crossing was frustrating because it often didn't beat the first defender, but when it's put in lower and with such pace it will much more frequently result in a goal once past the first man.

quite often with robert the annoying was he'd looked up,saw there was no one there then put in a peach of a cross leaving half the crowd slagging off the forwards for not being there and the other half slagging him off for deliberatly giving the ball away

to be honest, neither Milner nor N'zogbia are half as good as they are cracked up to be

You are right - but they COULD be utilised better than they are being now...

Good regular coaching could improve Milner's crossing - it just needs hard work.

just going from that list a few posts ago...what constitutes a cross ? has it got to be in the air or is it just a pass from out wide ?

One of the many reasons why stats like these are an absolute load of crap and no way to judge a footballer. Even though I don't rate Milner that highly I would never beat him up over daft statistics like these.

• 5 weeks later...

This guy is unbelievably awful, awful, awful, awful, awful ... never a winger, and I doubt he can play through the middle. He is responsible for the few good things we do falling to pieces.

Bad news kiddies. Apparently Routledge is on his way to Villa too. I've said time and time and time and time again that he is far better than Milner, but I was laughed at.

Well we'll soon find out. I will surely have the last laugh.

We'd better get in someone else who can play on the right, because this guy is not a good footballer, especially on a team that lacks quality overall.