Derby County @ Home - Sunday 23rd December

Skirge

You would have Rozehnal in the team ahead of Cacapa HTL?

Aye. I would. The toss-up would be Cacapa or Taylor. I'd pick Rozenhal every game. He'll have some dodgy moments as he adjusts to the league, but he looks a good player to me and I have patience with players like him.

Completely agree with you about Rozehnal. Defenders that can play football are a rarity, so we should stick by him. I actualy think he might be a decent defensive midfielder in the future because he can play and has a good engine.

i'd play

beye - taylor - cacapa - enrique

milner - barton - emre - zoggy

smith - martins

this would be a good match to give enrique a starting chance imo!

He has to give Enrique a runout and play the Zog on the left.  I'm of the opinion Zoggy will fucking torture them if let loose.

I agree. If ever there was a game to let the players go in their natural positions, it's this one. I wouldn't start with Emre: keep Barton and Butt in the middle, and bring Emre on if we're failing to create.

Rozenhal needs a Faye or Taylor type alongside him imo. It's Rozenhal or Cacapa with Taylor or Faye for me.

I agree. The defence has better balance like that.

Normally i would think that too but Cacapa and Rozey were class against Fulham.

as the above says if theres ever a game for trying the players in a simple formations/correct positions etc its this one, we need to have a more attacking line up and leave out battelers/cloggers like Smith,Butt and Geremi

Given

Beye   Cacapa   Roz(faye if fit)   Enrique

Milner   Barton      Emre              Nzogbia

Martins Viduka

But its a tough one for Big Sam as anything other than a good win will be a disaster and its a risk making changes to a winning side.

Rozenhal needs a Faye or Taylor type alongside him imo. It's Rozenhal or Cacapa with Taylor or Faye for me.

Steady on. They were competent but dont get carried away. Did you see the acres of space between them that time in the second half? A better team than Fulham would have punished that blunder. They did well, but still didnt look that solid.

I'm starting to think that the reason he plays Rozenhal and Faye or Rozenhal and Cacapa as his preferred CB partnership  is to do with communication. Cacapa, Beye, Rozenhal, N'Zogbia and Faye all speak French. Enrique only speaks Spanish as far as i'm aware and i'm pretty sure Taylor only speaks English. 4 defenders who speak the same language = clean sheet.   

It makes sense to have a back line who share a common language but Taylor has had a couple of good games at the back and looked a real threat going forward.

I don't think dropping him sends a very positive message. Play well, score a goal and i'll reward you with a place on the bench.

Same team, but for Faye if fit.

Given

Beye   Faye   Caçapa   N'Zogbia

Geremi    Butt    Barton

Martins           Smith             Milner

We're winning games and playing well (aside from Fulham, where we were comfortable and won anyway), with certain individuals improving thanks largely to the formation. I'd be tempted to go 4-4-2, but there's really no need imo. If it's tight after an hour, then we should change it.

2-1. Smith to finally grab a goal.

He makes a decent point though. I reckon one of the main reasons our defence has been so poor at times is due to the communication breakdown. If Enrique only speaks Spanish and no-one else can communicate with him how are they meant to gel as a unit?

I was implying that of the defenders we currently have, if we use four who speak the same language we're more likely to keep a clean sheet. I apologise if that didn't come across clearly.

I think that the main problem with the four you mentioned is that 3 of them were rubbish.

He makes a decent point though. I reckon one of the main reasons our defence has been so poor at times is due to the communication breakdown. If Enrique only speaks Spanish and no-one else can communicate with him how are they meant to gel as a unit?

By all learning english and speaking the language.

No they weren't. They were reasonably solid against one of the least ambitious home teams I've ever seen in a Premier League match. They still stood off too much and just happened to get away with it a couple of times.

Shouldn't Owen be ready for this match?

If he is I'd start him instead of Martins, as he is our most reliable goalscorer and we should be able to create some chances. Chances+Owen=Goals...

Don't know if I added that right, my math isn't the best.

I'd also love to see Faye in this game, to beat the hell out of Miller for making us the laughing stock in the league with his wonderstrike.  :knuppel2:

Given

Beye                          Cacapa                          Rozenhal                      Enrique

Butt            Barton                         

Milner                                            Smith                                              N'Zogbia

Viduka

I'd have the two wingers dropping back into wing back type positions when out of possession and moving upto wide forward positions when the ball gets upto Viduka to give him an load of options (play the lay off back to Smith or Barton bombing on, to Jimmy or Zog at either side.

Given

Beye    Rozehal    Cacapa    N'Zogbia

Milner      Barton    Butt    Emre

Smith    Viduka

Will never happen, like, because it's picking people on recent form. Think it'd be bordering on ridiculous to split up Rozehnal and Cacapa/the defence after that clean-sheet, personally, no matter how they played individually. Could do with Duff back for this formation, though, as I realise people won't be happy with Emre at LM. If it's not going well, hoy Enrique on and move N'Zogbia up.

SUBS: Harper, Enrique, Geremi, Owen, Martins. (If all fit.)

Any chance our defence speaks French? i was thinking this the other day, do Roz and Beye speak French? Obviously Cacapa and Zoggy do.

French is Beye's native tongue, Rozehnal played for Club Brugge (which is Flemish Belgium, so not sure what exactly he speoke while there) and PSG for over 4 years and does speak good French, too.