How long can Sam paper over the cracks?

Decky

I don't understand.

You're on, what, 26 points and all is doom, the manager must go.

Yet Villa are only on 3 more, Blackburn 1 more and Everton and Portsmouth 4 more, and they're all supposed to be having good seasons. So how does that work then?

I appreciate the football might be poor to watch, and I also appreciate that you've had several games where you were - imho - very lucky to get what you did, but one thing you can't argue with is the fact that you're in a pretty solid position in the table and only 4 points off a European place. Surely the time to worry is when you are playing shite and NOT getting points.

I think the problem is that a lot of people here were coming up with wildly optimistic predictions at the start of the season - top four, top five, neither of which were ever going to happen .

If the club was as fucked up as you (almost) all said it was under FFS, how can you expect it to get righted almost immediately?

Quite possibly the most sensible, to the point post I think I've seen on this forum. Couldn't agree more.

And how many people are in the Brummie love in are actually season ticket holders who have actually invested cash into this team?

Are you saying there's some kind of anti-Brummie conspiracy in the ranks of ST holders?

And how many people are in the Brummie love in are actually season ticket holders who have actually invested cash into this team?

Are you saying there's some kind of anti-Brummie conspiracy in the ranks of ST holders?

Sorry, just wanted responses from people who are seaon ticket holders or attend matches on a regular basis who are in agreement with our southern friend TBH

Sorry, just wanted responses from people who are seaon ticket holders or attend matches on a regular basis who are in agreement with our southern friend TBH

I'll raise my hand here, in that case.

I'll raise my hand here, in that case.

Ditto.

You definitely don't understand Brummie.  Outside of the fact that different clubs have different expectations what you obviously don't realise is that we've had an incredibly easy first half of the season.  For instance we've played Arsenal and Liverpool once, both at home.  In the second half we'll be playing Chelsea away, Man UTD away, Arsenal away, Liverpool away, Man UTD at home and Chelsea at home...  To put it all into perspective overall, the cumulative points total of every side we played in the first half of this season is 393 points.  The total for the teams we'll play in the second half of the season is 537 points!

Of course all of this is skirting around the real issue, which IMO isn't really league position or even results (though the Derby results are disgusting frankly).  What people have a problem with is what they see as shocking mismanagement of the team.  I'd have no problem righting this season off if I was given any reason to think it was necessary in order to 'get things right'.  But like so many others I don't have any reason to believe that.  All I see is a manager playing players out of position to the detriment of the team and the players themselves.  As well as putting out extremely unbalanced teams with unfathomable tactics.  He seems incapable of using the players he has properly.  Perhaps given a few transfer windows he can buy Boltons team.. I think that's about as succesful as he could be here, which is depressing..

Compare with Souness' man management towards Robert and Bellamy,

Roeder's with Luque and Milner(this is one of the biggest joke I've ever had),

I couldn't believe Sam's can be classified as "shocking".

Isn't that pretty obvious what Sam is actually doing? You know his direction and its just you don't like it or disagree with it,

but definitely his direction is far far better than the past managers.

Who said anything about man mangement?, I said management full stop.  Also comparing him to Roeder or Souness doesn't do him any favours.  I'd call a manager twice as good as those two shocking..

Do I know what he's trying to do?  Yes, but its idiotic to try it with completely incompatible players.  Any decent manager would adapt and work with the players he has until they can get the key players in to make the way they want to play work.  Do I like what I think he's trying to do?, no frankly I don't.  The realisation that Allardyce is aiming to make us like Bolton is one of the most depressing things I've ever considered.

Of course we could compare with Mourinho, Juande Ramos or even O'Neill if you want, but the truth is we can only attract Souness and Roeder to be our manager, and you can add Gullit into that list. I think it's pretty obvious that we aren't able to attract good managers: Keegan is very debatable, and SBR is mainly due to his personal preference. Whether its down to over-expectation or geographical distance from capital I don't know, it's just a fact. If we can hire Mourinho I don't mind someone assassin Sam asap too.

And then tell me what Bolton's like. If that's purely down to running, tackling, long ball and luck in your opinion then no wonder you are getting depressed.

Yea, tell me what Bolton's like and why its so successful for over 3 seasons despite great changes within the premiership.

I don't understand.

Yet Villa are only on 3 more, Blackburn 1 more and Everton and Portsmouth 4 more, and they're all supposed to be having good seasons. So how does that work then?

I appreciate the football might be poor to watch, and I also appreciate that you've had several games where you were - imho - very lucky to get what you did, but one thing you can't argue with is the fact that you're in a pretty solid position in the table and only 4 points off a European place. Surely the time to worry is when you are playing s**** and NOT getting points.

I think the problem is that a lot of people here were coming up with wildly optimistic predictions at the start of the season - top four, top five, neither of which were ever going to happen .

If the club was as f***** up as you (almost) all said it was under FFS, how can you expect it to get righted almost immediately?

the problem is our club should be better than your club....

lol  :laugh:

I don't know if he's taking the piss or on the level, or if the replies are taking the piss. Or on the level.

*shrug*

C'mon man... that's very irritating comment. Of course you being happy NUFC getting slumps each season :lol: at least your club being above us... what your post above just like to say that NUFC is must be lower than your club :lol: you happy isn't it?  :iamatwat:

i don't know why mostly NUFC fans accept your post :lol: it's like you called them dipshitt....

and they agree with you : Ohh yea.... i am dipshitt !:lol:

People here tends to more patient with Big Sam... Big Sam should know running NUFC is high expectation... it's been many many years since we playing like crap.... and the worst thing is he is not learning with his tactics and player selection.... and that's very frustrating... look at City & Portsmouth they don't need many years to get settle with their new manager blueyes.gif..... not like us... What big sam bring to us isn't Winning Football also... the 2 words that's has been told to be his trade mark... he simply won't learn with what he has at NUFC... if he keep forcing his tactics into NUFC players which NUFC players couldn't manage to do...it's silly... because we simply don't have Bolton Materials....

At the end of the day if he played players in their correct position we would have more points on the board and maybe wouldn't be moaning as much.

N'zogbia at left back, milner left wing and martins on the right is one of the main reasons why were not seeing the progress we would all like. I thought it was sorted when he brought a new left back into the club but he doesn't seem to have much faith in enrique. And that's not to mention the centre back pairing which has been all over the place.

Surely Milner on the right, N'Zogbia on the left and two up front (any target man and small pacy striker partnership) would do the trick but what do I know.

For me SA is making too much of the team selection and tactics, just play players where they are bloody comfortable playing.

To close I thought he was the right appointment, i've now got a lot of doubt but will certainly give him until the end of the season.

I don't understand.

I appreciate the football might be poor to watch, and I also appreciate that you've had several games where you were - imho - very lucky to get what you did, but one thing you can't argue with is the fact that you're in a pretty solid position in the table and only 4 points off a European place. Surely the time to worry is when you are playing s**** and NOT getting points.

If the club was as f***** up as you (almost) all said it was under FFS, how can you expect it to get righted almost immediately?

the problem is our club should be better than your club....

lol  :laugh:

I don't know if he's taking the piss or on the level, or if the replies are taking the piss. Or on the level.

*shrug*

C'mon man... that's very irritating comment. Of course you being happy NUFC getting slumps each season :lol: at least your club being above us... what your post above just like to say that NUFC is must be lower than your club :lol: you happy isn't it?  :iamatwat:

i don't know why mostly NUFC fans accept your post :lol: it's like you called them dipshitt....

and they agree with you : Ohh yea.... i am dipshitt !:lol:

People here tends to more patient with Big Sam... Big Sam should know running NUFC is high expectation... it's been many many years since we playing like crap.... and the worst thing is he is not learning with his tactics and player selection.... and that's very frustrating... look at City & Portsmouth they don't need many years to get settle with their new manager blueyes.gif..... not like us... What big sam bring to us isn't Winning Football also... the 2 words that's has been told to be his trade mark... he simply won't learn with what he has at NUFC... if he keep forcing his tactics into NUFC players which NUFC players couldn't manage to do...it's silly... because we simply don't have Bolton Materials....

I love the way you never consider playing it safe. Poster of the year material imho. It fascinates me how people from abroad sometimes see more clearly the soul of the club. Merry x mas Jun to you and your family.

Of course we could compare with Mourinho, Juande Ramos or even O'Neill if you want, but the truth is we can only attract Souness and Roeder to be our manager, and you can add Gullit into that list. I think it's pretty obvious that we aren't able to attract good managers: Keegan is very debatable, and SBR is mainly due to his personal preference. Whether its down to over-expectation or geographical distance from capital I don't know, it's just a fact. If we can hire Mourinho I don't mind someone assassin Sam asap too.

Of course we can attract a good manager, the likes of Roeder and Souness were down to Shepherd.  If you seriously think that the likes of O'Niel wouldn't have come to Newcastle because its too far from London your mad.  Just as mad as to consider that Shepherd would even know who Ramos is never mind consider chasing him as our manager.

And then tell me what Bolton's like. If that's purely down to running, tackling, long ball and luck in your opinion then no wonder you are getting depressed.

Yea, tell me what Bolton's like and why its so successful for over 3 seasons despite great changes within the premiership.

I know how they play and the depressing thing is its an incredibly limited tactic.  Its enough to get you just so far playing horrendous Football.  But forget about Europe or competing any higher then 6th place playing Bolton style Football.  Why don't you go ahead and tell me why I shouldn't be depressed at the idea of a manager who seems incapable of any other tactic, I look forward to this great insight.....

Compare with Souness' man management towards Robert and Bellamy,

Roeder's with Luque and Milner(this is one of the biggest joke I've ever had),

I couldn't believe Sam's can be classified as "shocking".

Isn't that pretty obvious what Sam is actually doing? You know his direction and its just you don't like it or disagree with it,

but definitely his direction is far far better than the past managers.

can you give some examples to all us season ticket holders and fans who pay on a match to match basis

My patience is running very thin, and I can fully understand yesterday's performance and result being the last straw for many.

No point whatsoever in sacking him now though. Let's see where we are at the end of the season.

Season ticket holder btw. :razz:

Sam is a good manager and most people were chuffed when we got him in, who else could come in now, and how will they make any difference?

Although I am defending the bloke, I have no clue what he is trying to do at Newcastle, I thought in his press conference when he came he sounded quite cocky, and came across as if he thought he was some kind of tactical genious.

Change the thread title to:

"How long can we keep deluding ourselves that we have a good team"

A fair point (and one that explains many of this year's performances), but it's not pushing the realms of fantasy to assume we have a better team than Derby County.