Alan Smith

tmonkey

I'm not surprised he stayed here for so long despite not getting any game time. Why would he leave to get paid considerably less wages? He has to think of his future and he can secure himself and his family for the rest of his life with the money he was picking up here. Would you leave your job to go to another for a lot less money? For us fans it is sickening that the club is hemorrhaging money on the likes of Smith, but you can't blame him for staying really when the alternatives are clubs like MK Dons. 

If he considered himself a professional footballer surely he'd want to actually play football, regardless of the wage?

Can't see how people can say he's a great professional when he chooses not to play.

I'm not surprised he stayed here for so long despite not getting any game time. Why would he leave to get paid considerably less wages? He has to think of his future and he can secure himself and his family for the rest of his life with the money he was picking up here. Would you leave your job to go to another for a lot less money? For us fans it is sickening that the club is hemorrhaging money on the likes of Smith, but you can't blame him for staying really when the alternatives are clubs like MK Dons. 

If he considered himself a professional footballer surely he'd want to actually play football, regardless of the wage?

Can't see how people can say he's a great professional when he chooses not to play.

Depends really, what is he on here, like 60k a week? Surely the likes of MK Dons could only afford about 10 to 20k a week? It's a considerable drop in wages, especially when he hasn't got many years in his playing career left. I'd like to think that a player exists in the top flight who would slash his wages like that for the sake of playing every weekend, but I don't think there is one. How many of us would do that in his shoes?

How much money does one person need?

That's not the question though really. As much as I'd like to think differently, it's clear that once you're used to a level of pay it can be demotivating to take a massive cut.

I'd love to think that if I was as wealthy as Smudger I would make a move purely for footballing reasons, but I'm not so sure if I had guaranteed massive income I was turning my back on.

Depends really, what is he on here, like 60k a week? Surely the likes of MK Dons could only afford about 10 to 20k a week? It's a considerable drop in wages, especially when he hasn't got many years in his playing career left. I'd like to think that a player exists in the top flight who would slash his wages like that for the sake of playing every weekend, but I don't think there is one. How many of us would do that in his shoes?

The 60k a week plus he was probably a multi-millionaire before he came here. So while I do understand the "take what you can get" argument, if he had left 18 months ago when he was obviously not going to be playing for us much, he'd have had a higher level of clubs interested, instead of the kind he's attracting now.

Ending his career on such a whimper must be something that he'd regret in later life.

Be nice to see him stay on if he fancies a coaches salary and he's as good behind the scenes as those in the know suggest.

If not, despite being an obscene waste of money for the club, good luck to the lad. Shite player, but a decent appetite for the fight.  :thup:

I wish him luck. I believe from what we heard after relegation and the fact he was offered a role at the club even now that he's liked and played a role at the club. It's not his fault he became s***.  Good that he's gone now, but no ill feeling at all.

The only summer people can reasonably say he could have wanted to leave is last summer. What's this about leaving a few years ago?

He arrived first summer.

Played a fair amount in first 2 PL seasons

Next summer we were relegated and he stayed, and was a first team player in the championship.

Next, first season back in the PL having been captain. Started out playing until we signed Tiote.

It's only this last season he's started as clearly not going to be near the first team.

He wasn't captain in our season back in the PL. Nolan was.

I know. I said the summer we got back up he'd captained us back to the prem, why would he want to leave?

Can't be far off the England squad right now.

If there was a plague that killed 90% of the population of England and he survived he still wouldn't get into the England squad.