Alan Smith

tmonkey

Perhaps you should of thought about that Pie when you chucked eggs at his house...

Indeed. I've spent all season convincing myself that we need a bunch of pedestrian, one paced half wits who cant shoot, cross, score or anything else for that matter....good job we replaced Dyer and Solano so well really.

We replaced Dyer with Smith according to fat Sam at the time, plenty on here were happy about it too.

Indeed. If Smith is a direct replacement then some folk at the club need their heads read. If some of the shit about the mediocrity we have in the side is to be believed then we have very little to worry about though....there is talent in that midfield apparently.

im sick of people who think smith is top class simply because he puts in 100% every game. give me a sensible, talented striker/midfielder who doesnt put in 'commited' tackles that half our fanbase seem to appreciate more than a brilliant pass. And one who wont reach double figures in cards, but might actually contribute in means of goals.

fucking doing my nut in with how many people let him off with shit performances based on the fact that hes english, and runs around like a headless chicken. its the same with taylor to a certain extent

Guest sicko2ndbest

Play Smith as a striker against any of the top 8 sides. We will not create many chances but his overall work rate will be very effective against stronger opposition.

Play Viduka against the weaker sides, as he will put chances away, and the neccesity for hard work isnt as much

I hope everyone who said Smith is good enough up front for us is ready to admit they're wrong, even Sibierski was more of an attacking threat than this useless cunt.

Look who's back from under his rock... and in this thread as well... who'd have thunk it?

Parody.

I hope everyone who said Smith is good enough up front for us is ready to admit they're wrong, even Sibierski was more of an attacking threat than this useless cunt.

Look who's back from under his rock... and in this thread as well... who'd have thunk it?

Parody.

Yes - exactly what I was thinking.

If Smith had of scored a couple today, he'd have been nowhere to be seen.

Mr Negative.

Guest Brewcastle

Why does Big Sam refuse to take Smith off, no matter how little hes doing?

He was utterly invisible today except for barking at the referee/linesman, even more so (if thats possible) when pushed back into midfield.[.........................]

Isn't Smith Ashley's favouriteplayer? Guess that's more than enough for the brilliant tactic man Sam...... :clap:

He has the highest fitness level in our team so i don't think you want to take a players who's fit enough to play the rest of the game without trouble if you have other players that can barley play 90 mins..

Agree with some of the posts here, but i think the likes of Nicky Butt and Geremi should be dropped before we drop Alan Smith.

Hmm... thought Smith played an important part in our (admittedly scrappy) first goal. I also thought we didn't win today due to piss poor defending especially on their second goal.

Agree though that Dyer (as a footballer) and Solano were not replaced last Summer. I don't know if Sam wanted them gone or not - I had the impression at the time that both of them moved because they wanted to not because we wanted them to.

Hmm... thought Smith played an important part in our (admittedly scrappy) first goal. I also thought we didn't win today due to piss poor defending especially on their second goal.

Agree though that Dyer (as a footballer) and Solano were not replaced last Summer. I don't know if Sam wanted them gone or not - I had the impression at the time that both of them moved because they wanted to not because we wanted them to.

Same here, funnily enough.

Guest shaun11177

When a Manager pays 6m for a player he has to try and justify it by playing him. The injury Smith had would have finished a player 15 years ago, these days players can recover but it doesnt they come back as good. Smith looks a shadow of the player he was at Leeds just like Bowyer.

Parody.

Yes - exactly what I was thinking.

If Smith had of scored a couple today, he'd have been nowhere to be seen.

Mr Negative.

He'll be back when Keiron Dire plays his 2 good games a season for West Ham too

Who are these people who think Smith is top class by the way? I don't know anyone who thinks that.

NE5 HTL

Alex Ferguson ?

You're still obsessed I see.

Speaking about being obsessed, its about time you changed your sig too

mackems.gif

Who are these people who think Smith is top class by the way? I don't know anyone who thinks that.

NE5 HTL

Alex Ferguson ?

mackems.gif

If he thought he was top class he wouldn't sell him.

Everybody knows this. The point is they haven't been properly replaced.

Ignoring the agenda driven opinions, this is correct.

The whole balance of the team is wrong, I've been saying so for over 12 months, the sale of Solano and Dire - even though he disappeared down a big hole for many matches - has made it worse.

Somebody at the club decided not to replace Solano, and Dire with someone who actually plays. Was it Allardyce's decision, if so he wants shot. Or was it a financial decision by the club ? If it was, to balance the books, and if this is going to be their approach, stand by for real mediocrity. Those who prefer balancing the books will then have nothing to complain about.

This is a fairly basic point and it would be nice to know the answer.

Solano and Dire both wanted to go mate, for different reasons, but they did. One I was happy to see the back of, the other not so.

NE5 HTL

Alex Ferguson ?

mackems.gif

If he thought he was top class he wouldn't sell him.

Everybody knows this. The point is they haven't been properly replaced.

with the best will in the world, nobody would say he is a Rooney or a Tevez, or a Saha. So he sold him for the same reason he sold Butt, and Phil Neville.

I think that Smith is suffering because of the shit midfield as much as anything. Someone has said he isn't the player he was before his injury, that may be correct, but who can tell ?

Ignoring the agenda driven opinions, this is correct.

The whole balance of the team is wrong, I've been saying so for over 12 months, the sale of Solano and Dire - even though he disappeared down a big hole for many matches - has made it worse.

Somebody at the club decided not to replace Solano, and Dire with someone who actually plays. Was it Allardyce's decision, if so he wants shot. Or was it a financial decision by the club ? If it was, to balance the books, and if this is going to be their approach, stand by for real mediocrity. Those who prefer balancing the books will then have nothing to complain about.

This is a fairly basic point and it would be nice to know the answer.

Solano and Dire both wanted to go mate, for different reasons, but they did. One I was happy to see the back of, the other not so.

I think the aim was to get defensive replacements in for the summer window it was obvious to all that we were shite at the back and keeping the back four would mean we may as well just play without them. Adding to this the "review" that mort put in place right at the end of the window. I think Sam has said he did have ideas of who he wanted but by the time he acted they either were no longer available or had moved on. I dont know if that then made him rush into buying smith due to dyer wanting to go, parker not being part of his plans and solano wanting to go sam may have felt another player with no prem experience was a big risk too much to take and we may be suffering for it. Smith reminds me of Parker loads of passion and commitment but if you had to rely on him to be your goal threat or your creative outlet you were barking up the wrong tree.

I guess waiting till the summer (if sam is allowed to stay) will see where sam wants to go in terms of his formation plans and his player choices.