Alan Smith

tmonkey

We all know that he's been a horrendous signing and we all know that he's nowhere near good enough in the long term... but, in our five remaining away fixtures, Martins and Smith would be my first choice partnership.

In Owen and Viduka we have two gifted players, undoubtedly the two most talented strikers at the club, but on the road they simply do not offer enough to the general play of a struggling side, and when the former is not even taking the chances given to him, he offers virtually nothing. I also think it would be comical to give Carroll his first Premier League start in a relegation '6-pointer', away from home, and expect him to make any kind of impact.

For all of his faults (notably appearing to have lost all of his striking instincts :lol:), Smith does bring certain qualities to the team. As i said in the match thread, he will defend from the front, he will make opposing defenders work and the fact that he constantly gets involved in the game means he offers more ball retention than any of the alternatives.

I could see any other combination of our strikers going missing for the 90 minutes and we cannot afford that at this stage.

I know it isn't going to happen, but why couldn't Carroll have an impact? He doesn't have to score, but I would think he offers more threat in the air than Smith. That would have an impact from set pieces alone.

How did the joke that Smith must have it written into his contract that he plays every game suddenly become ITK information?

It's a load of bollocks.

it's actually the most reasonable explanantion

The one which suits you the most you mean?

The biggest factor here is that Strikers are paid to score goals.

We are in a relegation scrap and desperately need goals.

The only first team striker on our books who hasn't scored a goal for the club, and more worrying hasn't looked like scoring a goal, is Alan Smith.

Martins, Viduka, Ameobi and probably Carroll are more likely to get us the goals we need. I couldn't give a flying fuck about defending from the front. Where has that got us so far?

Smith might offer something but it's nothing we need at the moment. Drop him for good or we're going down.

Nate's suggestion is rather ironic given the bullshit rumour about Smith. If any player is guaranteed to start when fit it's Michael Owen. Without fail.

Very true.

you gotta make little mickey run though, semblance of value for money...goals per game ain't gonna work but footsteps per game might favourable?

We all know that he's been a horrendous signing and we all know that he's nowhere near good enough in the long term... but, in our five remaining away fixtures, Martins and Smith would be my first choice partnership.

In Owen and Viduka we have two gifted players, undoubtedly the two most talented strikers at the club, but on the road they simply do not offer enough to the general play of a struggling side, and when the former is not even taking the chances given to him, he offers virtually nothing. I also think it would be comical to give Carroll his first Premier League start in a relegation '6-pointer', away from home, and expect him to make any kind of impact.

For all of his faults (notably appearing to have lost all of his striking instincts :lol:), Smith does bring certain qualities to the team. As i said in the match thread, he will defend from the front, he will make opposing defenders work and the fact that he constantly gets involved in the game means he offers more ball retention than any of the alternatives.

I could see any other combination of our strikers going missing for the 90 minutes against Birmingham and we cannot afford that at this stage.

Do tell me, just where has Smith's scrapping and defending from the front got us so far? NOWHERE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. Wake up and smell the rotting turd that is Alan Smith's NUFC career. If we really want to defend from the front, play Faye up front. I daresay he'd score more goals than Smith anyway (and he has done from the back). Scrapping and fighting is what we need in defence and central midfield (although I still don't advocate Smith here, as his scrapping is useless anyway), wingers, one CM and strikers over creativity and goals. THERE IS NO NEED FOR SMITH TO PLAY. EVER.

It's not about what Smith has done individually so far, it's about playing the best partnership.

I just think the game against Birmingham, similar to that against Arsenal at home, is one where we are going to need to fight for every single 50/50 and close them down all over the pitch. With Owen and Martins up front i can see Birmingham dominating possession because their defence will not be put under any pressure on the ball. We need one forward to chase the lost causes, to drop into the midfield to defend or indeed to link up play. Our central midfield is currently far too weak to support any other kind of strike force, especially in this type of away game.

I do not think Smith is good enough in the long term, so i'm not painting him as somebody who can do all of these things consistently well, but at the moment he is the closest we've got.

Viduka's ability to hold up the ball combined with Martins' blistering pace would cause more problems for a defence than Alan Smith's 100% work rate.

He's garbage, absolute garbage. A striker who doesn't score goals is a shit striker!

It's not about what Smith has done individually so far, it's about playing the best partnership.

I just think the game against Birmingham, similar to that against Arsenal at home, is one where we are going to need to fight for every single 50/50 and close them down all over the pitch. With Owen and Martins up front i can see Birmingham dominating possession because their defence will not be put under any pressure on the ball. We need one forward to chase the lost causes, to drop into the midfield to defend or indeed to link up play. Our central midfield is currently far too weak to support any other kind of strike force, especially in this type of away game.

I do not think Smith is good enough in the long term, so i'm not painting him as somebody who can do all of these things consistently well, but at the moment he is the closest we've got.

We looked a lot more dangerous though against the likes say of even Chelsea away and Man City when they were pressed back due to Martins, only for him to be replaced which had a negative impact on the teams play overall.

What amazes me is that Alan Smith is still reguarded highly by a lot of football fans and coaches and managers. He's really shown very little to justify anyt praise since his ealry days at leeds.

If any other high profile striker (remember it was only this season he and Owen led the line for England) had his goal scoring record there would be huge questions asked but the media largely leave him well alone.

I would wager if we went down and looked to sell him we would have no problem recoupering much of what we paid for him, from the likes of Portsmouth or West Ham.

What amazes me is that Alan Smith is still reguarded highly by a lot of football fans and coaches and managers. He's really shown very little to justify anyt praise since his ealry days at leeds.

If any other high profile striker (remember it was only this season he and Owen led the line for England) had his goal scoring record there would be huge questions asked but the media largely leave him well alone.

I would wager if we went down and looked to sell him we would have no problem recoupering much of what we paid for him, from the likes of Portsmouth or West Ham.

Kenny Miller has only scored 1 more in the same games, with less assists. He's played all of them up fron too. Emile Heskey is yet to score.

I don't think Smith should be in the team, but it's nothing to do with lack of goals. It's to do with lack of ability.

Kenny Miller has only scored 1 more in the same games, with less assists. He's played all of them up fron too. Emile Heskey is yet to score.

I don't think Smith should be in the team, but it's nothing to do with lack of goals. It's to do with lack of ability.

I didnt realise Miller had only scored that one against us, although to be fair to Smith, give him two games against us and even he would score.

Hasn't everyone's slate been wiped clean as of February at some point?

Please dont tell me that means he is no longer one booking away from a ban.

It might do. Could do with PM for some clarification really....

I think...the cut-off for 10 cautions is April.  But that may have changed.

I didnt realise Miller had only scored that one against us, although to be fair to Smith, give him two games against us and even he would score.

Miller has 3 goals and 2 assists in the league for a worse team in 400 less minutes. heskey scored against sunderland but he's been out with injuries.

Miller has 3 goals and 2 assists in the league for a worse team in 400 less minutes. heskey scored against sunderland but he's been out with injuries.

Hmm, that'll teach me to go by fantasy league points then. Oops.

Been and gone hasn't it?

Been and gone hasn't it?

No.  It's April.