Alan Smith

tmonkey

Sorry to bring this thread up, but never have I been as deflated at a substitution (albeit forced upon us), than I have when he came on. At half-time, I was happy-ish with the performance and optimistic of getting a result...as soon as he came on I gave up hope. Easily outmuscled, easy to mark, crap touch, no goal threat. Woeful, woeful footballer.

Sorry to bring this thread up, but never have I been as deflated at a substitution (albeit forced upon us), than I have when he came on. At half-time, I was happy-ish with the performance and optimistic of getting a result...as soon as he came on I gave up hope. Easily outmuscled, easy to mark, crap touch, no goal threat. Woeful, woeful footballer.

Dunno, I thought he was quite good, tbh.

Not really.

Guest elpapi

awful... doesn't contribute anything, doesn't even look like a football player

sell and if he doesn't want to go, pay out...

You weren't the only one. The whole team's confidence disappeared knowing he was their outlet.

As soon as we lost Viduka, we had to defend for the whole game. I wasn't even sure where Smith was meant to be playing after his first 5 minutes. We had nothing up top because there was no one to feed the ball for Martins. If we get any bids in the summer I would sell him.

Made me laugh seeing people advocating him being brought on for viduka at half time. I didn't laugh when i saw him on the touchine. Embarrassingly bad, him and his irish mate.

Guest aoliversaknob

A striker who cant score or a midfiedder with no touch vision and no defensive qualities. Either we need to off load the in the summer.

Made me laugh seeing people advocating him being brought on for viduka at half time. I didn't laugh when i saw him on the touchine. Embarrassingly bad, him and his irish mate.

Viduka was awful too tbf, he just lumbered around up front without offering anything.

At least we know one position we definitely need to strengthen now as neither Smith or Viduka are good enough to start anymore.

At least when Viduka was on though, if the ball went his way you were confident it'd stick, and he had a chance. We went from having little threat but with glimpses, to f*ck all.

Smith was comically bad, true, but Viduka touched the ball about 6 times in the first half and lost it 5 times. It wasn't just Smith's fault that we were dominated in the second half today. They really just came out pushing and pressuring and none of our players could keep hold the ball. They also sent one more defender over to Martins, which is why KK was gesturing for Martins to go play more central (more space there). Our outlet was gone, there wasn't any space for our players and thus, we couldn't keep hold of possession.

At least when Viduka was on though, if the ball went his way you were confident it'd stick, and he had a chance. We went from having little threat but with glimpses, to f*ck all.

It didn't stick though, he just kept losing the ball.

It didn't stick though, he just kept losing the ball.

Sorry, badly worded.

What I meant was that when the ball goes up to Viduka, you have confidence in his ability that he'll be able to do something effective with it. Today, or indeed the last few games actually, it hasn't came off. But with Smith, I have no faith in him whatsoever to do anything.

I wonder how much Smith had to do with our deep position in the second half. At least Viduka's immobility means he'll always be up there.

He's just totally confused, he like the rest of us do not know what kind of player he is and where he should be playing (when he has too)

I wonder how much Smith had to do with our deep position in the second half. At least Viduka's immobility means he'll always be up there.

He's just totally confused, he like the rest of us do not know what kind of player he is and where he should be playing (when he has too)

Well said, it really seems to be the case, he seems to change his whole style of play depending on where he's playing..seems like he's been used to being told exactly what to do otherwise he'll fuck up..

Surely it must be worth giving Carroll a go. We have nothing to play for now, may aswell see what some of the youngsters look like in the last game. We know Smith is shit.