Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think the question many have asked about why no-one has been waiting until after Euro2008 has been answered by Billic's comments that he doesn't want his players distracted by transfer speculation during the tournament.

I think Billic would recommend England over other countries because he has played there, and because the more of his players playing in England the better for prepared his team will be for the WC Qualifiers.

Anyone else get the feeling that this is a sort of Rooney scenario all over again?

not really. i am not sure that we will sign him mind, bu we do actually want him and he is attainable. the croatian coach reccomending him to go to newcastle can only do us favours though, presuming it isn't a front.

are you saying we didn't actually want rooney and he wasn't attainable ?

"Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton.

"NUFC are in the range of Chelsea, Leeds United and Aston Villa but can invest a lot more money in new signings than let's say Tottenham.

What? Is he just talking about tradition here?

Probably, until Chelsea were taken over they'd won less then all the teams mentioned there, less then us as well.

Anyone else get the feeling that this is a sort of Rooney scenario all over again?

not really. i am not sure that we will sign him mind, bu we do actually want him and he is attainable. the croatian coach reccomending him to go to newcastle can only do us favours though, presuming it isn't a front.

are you saying we didn't actually want rooney and he wasn't attainable ?

Im sure Rooney himself said he would of came here if Manu didnt step in. He wanted out of Everton asap

My take of events judging from the various snippets of information that have no appeared in various different media outlets is that representatives have held serious talks, and all three of NUFC, Dinamo, and Modric are all happy with the move, and are all confident that an eventual agreement can be reached.

It is just now a case of us getting that agreement signed and finalised before anyone else comes and gazumps us.

Guest LondonMag

Daily mail reckons its a done deal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=561745&in_page_id=1779

Newcastle swoop for Luka Modric in £12m deal from Dinamo Zagreb

Last updated at 13:28pm on 24th April 2008

Croatian midfielder Luka Modric is on his way to Newcastle United in a £12million deal from Dinamo Zagreb.

Vice-chairman Zdravko Mamic held talks with Newcastle officials yesterday to discuss the move.

Modric, 22, has been targeted by Chelsea and Arsenal but Newcastle executive director of football Dennis Wise has won the battle.

He will join St James' Park after the Euro 2008 Championships and is reported to have a farewell dinner party with his team-mates at Dinamo.

the strange thing is that nothing is on BBC and Sky sports

My take of events judging from the various snippets of information that have no appeared in various different media outlets is that representatives have held serious talks, and all three of NUFC, Dinamo, and Modric are all happy with the move, and are all confident that an eventual agreement can be reached.

It is just now a case of us getting that agreement signed and finalised before anyone else comes and gazumps us.

I feel similar. Although, i don't think contract details will be sorted yet.

Like i said before, you don't pay 20m on a player if your going to be put off my a 20k difference of opinion. Modric won't of been on over 30k over there anyway, so i don't see wages being a problem.

There will most likely be a few negotiations before anything is sealed.

Guest optimistic nit

i'd say the mail are just hedging their bets, if this does come of then they can claim to have been the first paper to report it.

Guest marky555

What a man Bilic is.

I'm rooting for Croatia in the Euro's just because of them comments. No shit.

HOWAY CROATIA!

If this is the standard of the 3 or 4 players Keegan said he wanted to bring in then expect exciting times ahead.

If we get only 3 or 4, this is what we NEED. I'm sure 4-5 will leave.

I'm sure there are some other Croatian players worth a punt. Any shouts?

Srna the RB, altho RB isn't a priority, and the lad who scored the third past England who's name escapes me (Petric?) are both decent.

I'm sure there are some other Croatian players worth a punt. Any shouts?

Srna the RB, altho RB isn't a priority, and the lad who scored the third past England who's name escapes me (Petric?) are both decent.

Aye, Petric. He was linked to Chelsea a few months back.

i cannot remember his name but there's a young player that plays for Schalke that is supposed to be really promising from what i've heard from some people back home, i think he's a midfielder. He chose to play for Croatia instead of Switzerland (sp?) after Bilic  gave him a call. I think he played for basel before he moved to Schalke...