Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

I'm sure we offered the pay cut before it was certain that he would plead guilty in an attempt to make the situation a win-win for Barton and us (since he wouldn't have known his sentence). Obviously Barton took a risk by saying no, and now if we sack him, some other daft club will pay him when he gets released.

Yeah when he signed wasn't he saying he was innocent and then he changed his plea to guilty. I'm sure the club could get shot of him very legally on this point alone, bringing the club into disrepute or something. I'm no lawyer but I hope there is a way to get rid of him.

Joey Barton will face talks over his Newcastle United future with the club's manager Kevin Keegan and managing director Derek Llambias upon his release from prison. Barton, who is currently serving a six-month sentence for assault, admitted attacking his then Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo at the city's Minshull Street crown court and is due to be sentenced today.

There are unconfirmed reports that Barton could be released on Sunday, albeit with an electronic tag, but his agent, Willie McKay, admitted that the midfielder had already set his sights on returning to pre-season training with Newcastle on Monday.

"We can't really say too much until Joey is released, but we will be sitting down and talking about his future," said McKay. "He will be aiming to be back for pre-season training next week. But again, we will see what happens. Joey had a great end to the season and has kept himself in great shape. In fact, he is in the best shape I have ever seen him in and I think he will be fitter than anybody else." Newcastle have refused to comment on Barton's future.

The training-ground incident with Dabo happened before Barton's arrival at St James' Park. However, the offences which led to his time in jail were committed after his move to Tyneside and have caused the club huge embarrassment.

Barton was arrested in Liverpool city centre on December 27 after going on a drunken rampage during which he was caught on CCTV repeatedly punching a fellow reveller.

Surely he is finished here? Will he not get the shit boo'd out of him by the fans? I'm not usually in favour of booing our own players but for him i would make an exception, i want him gone.

Surely he is finished here? Will he not get the shit boo'd out of him by the fans? I'm not usually in favour of booing our own players but for him i would make an exception, i want him gone.

Ashley is tighter than a virgins hole, no way is he going to wipe £6m off the club like that.

Paycut aye, sacking nee chance.

So did you boo him at the end of last season? Fully understand those who never wanted him at all and have always been against him on the grounds that he is trouble, but for those didn't have that view at the start of the year, nothing has changed since then.

I say give the twat a final chance. There has been nothing wrong with his behaviour or perfomances (relevant to the rest of the team at least) since Christmas, and supposedly a lot of good has been said about his attitude since by those at the Sporting Chance clinic etc.

As a fan base, we collectively cheered Lee Bowyer back on the pitch, and although the incident itself wasn't as bad in his case, it was (unlike Barton's) carried out whilst in a Newcastle shirt and far more brought the name of NUFC into disrepute.

Surely he is finished here? Will he not get the s*** boo'd out of him by the fans? I'm not usually in favour of booing our own players but for him i would make an exception, i want him gone.

So did you boo him at the end of last season? Fully understand those who never wanted him at all and have always been against him on the grounds that he is trouble, but for those didn't have that view at the start of the year, nothing has changed since then.

I say give the t*** a final chance. There has been nothing wrong with his behaviour or perfomances (relevant to the rest of the team at least) since Christmas, and supposedly a lot of good has been said about his attitude since by those at the Sporting Chance clinic etc.

As a fan base, we collectively cheered Lee Bowyer back on the pitch, and although the incident itself wasn't as bad in his case, it was (unlike Barton's) carried out whilst in a Newcastle shirt and far more brought the name of NUFC into disrepute.

I don't boo Newcastle players, or any players for that matter. But i would fully understand if Barton got the treatment. And to be fair to me i never wanted him here in the first place, i've never thought he was talented and thought he was just a typical English grafter. I just feel he was given a final chance when he came here, he gave a heart felt interview on inside sport, then he beats the shit out of some kid outside McDonalds. I would cut my loses and move on, he's not worth it.

i expect this will be one of these things where people kneejerk. now people have seen the evidence, they think "what a twat, get him out NOW!!" whereas thinking about it, the actual assault didnt look like a 6 month prison sentance job to me at all. i originally thought "get him out" but thinking about it rationally now, ive been assaulted like that (not quite as bad though) and the police did fuck all!! when he comes back people will be cheering him if he starts playing well, its just untill all this blows over.

Footballer Joey Barton has been given a four month suspended sentence at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court for assaulting a team-mate.

The 25-year-old midfielder, now with Newcastle United, repeatedly punched Ousmane Dabo who was on the floor during the attack at a training ground.

On Monday he admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm when both were Manchester City players.

He is currently serving a six-month jail term for an attack while on bail.

During the attack for which he was jailed he punched a man in Liverpool.

For this latest incident, which happened in May, he has also been ordered to carry out 200 hours community service and must pay £3,000 compensation to Dabo as well as footing the prosecution costs.

The court heard that Liverpool-born Barton punched former Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo up to five times, leaving him unconscious and covered in blood on the ground.

He had claimed he acted in self-defence but changed his plea to guilty yesterday ahead of a scheduled trial in Manchester.

Barton was sold by Manchester City to Newcastle United in a £5.8m deal last summer, signing a five-year contract.

His club has said it will not be commenting on the case.

Footballer Joey Barton has been given a four month suspended sentence at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court for assaulting a team-mate.

The 25-year-old midfielder, now with Newcastle United, repeatedly punched Ousmane Dabo who was on the floor during the attack at a training ground.

On Monday he admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm when both were Manchester City players.

He is currently serving a six-month jail term for an attack while on bail.

During the attack for which he was jailed he punched a man in Liverpool.

For this latest incident, which happened in May, he has also been ordered to carry out 200 hours community service and must pay £3,000 compensation to Dabo as well as footing the prosecution costs.

The court heard that Liverpool-born Barton punched former Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo up to five times, leaving him unconscious and covered in blood on the ground.

He had claimed he acted in self-defence but changed his plea to guilty yesterday ahead of a scheduled trial in Manchester.

Barton was sold by Manchester City to Newcastle United in a £5.8m deal last summer, signing a five-year contract.

His club has said it will not be commenting on the case.

cant say i know much about what he did to dabo, but 200 hrs community service seems a good punishment as footballers time is always going to be worth more than money. just hope to god he doesnt do his community service in a school or something!!

Ashley is tighter than a virgins hole, no way is he going to wipe £6m off the club like that.

Paycut aye, sacking nee chance.

We'd probably save more money in the long run if we sack him. If Keegan doesn't rate him, or if we feel his 50k/week is too much for an average premiership player, then we can sack him and save the millions that we'd be paying him over the next 4 years.

We'd only lose the transfer money, and I think 4 years of wages > transfer money.

Guest elpapi

official club statement- "club will hold discussions, statement released when appropriate"

just buying themselves time... as if they didn't discuss the different options and consequences before today... now that would be lousy management

Guest neesy111

Yeah when he signed wasn't he saying he was innocent and then he changed his plea to guilty. I'm sure the club could get shot of him very legally on this point alone, bringing the club into disrepute or something. I'm no lawyer but I hope there is a way to get rid of him.

newcastle could claim back all the wages which barton earned last year, and some of the transfer fee, for basically lying to the club

newcastle could claim back all the wages which barton earned last year, and some of the transfer fee, for basically lying to the club

Bollocks could they!

Bollocks could they!

Correct, I'm no lawyer but he has a right to change his plea to guilty, he was obviously told that if he pleaded guilty he would a) avoid fellow professionals like Dunne and Pearce etc standing up in court and stating the case against him (how bad would that look) and b) would receive a lighter sentence and get out in time for pre season training.

It's my view they will keep him, financially they have to. Who's going to buy him for 6 million anyway? He's damaged goods. He'll be told to keep his head down, that he's in the last chance saloon and one more misdemeanour and he's out.

It would be interesting to know who drew up his contract and what it says, but the bottom line is that they are not going to lose 6 million just like that. No way.