Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

Joey Barton is our best central midfielder by an absolute street (not saying much I know but he's miles better than jimmy frigging bullard) and as such we need to seriously think what with talk of cost cutting and very little transfer funds whether or not we can afford to just bin a 6m pound footballer. Also factor in the money needed to purchase a suitable replacement and it all starts to get a bit expensive

You're basing this on what exactly?

It must be his performances at Man City as he was abysmal for us bar two or three games at the end of the season. Nicky Butt contributed much much more than him last season.

Do you honestly think he's worth £6M now? We'd be lucky to get £2M for him.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Let him come back and let his footballing do the talking.

However, he really needs to keep his head down and focus on his career.  One more incident and i think he is finished regardless if its his fault or not.

Play your football, go home and stay out of city centres. 

Is there any chance Barton staying out of trouble in future, and will the other players be comfortable with Barton knowing he will kick off at any moment and try and beat them to death for looking at him a bit funny.

If Newcastle stick with Barton we will deserve all the ridicule which will come our way.

Tony Adams had a problem with alcohol. He wasn't violent, but I would rather be beaten up outside McDonald's than ploughed down by a drunk driver. Still, I suppose Arsenal fans were glad in the end that their manager didn't react to the "outrage" at the time and sack him.

Even accepting the dodgy comparison between the two players, how many chances has Joey Barton already been given, only to erupt into another fit of uncontrolled violence?

He might have "paid his debt", but what happens if we keep him and he does something like this again. I'd say the likelihood is high.

With the threat of prison looming over him if he remotely steps out of line, I'd say he was less likely to do something like this again than ever before (for the next 2 years at least). I'd guess we'll see a model pro after this actually, although I don't deny he's now stereotyped for life and almost anything he does or says will be turned into a negative causing bad press for himself and by consequence whichever club he ends up playing for, and anything he is rumoured to have done will be instantly fact (see Bellamy).

Despite what a lot of you seem to be suggesting Barton isn't some thug who enjoys going out looking for fights and then brags about it to his mates, he's a bloke with a serious anger management problem which he acknowledges and gets treatment for. He was stupid to get himself in this situation knowing he would be the target of provocation on a night out like that and knowing that he can't control himself, and he's paying the price for that stupidity.

Anyone who thinks Barton is getting off with a lighter punishment than a normal person is as mental as he is tbh. How many people who get into a scrap like this will have it hanging over them for the rest of their lives as Barton will? How many will have every wannabe hard man they meet trying to wind them up? How many will have the nation's press on their back following them around and looking for the slightest thing to put them in a bad light? How many will be forever pre-judged by the moral majority no matter how much they try to change their nature? Barton's serving his legal punishment, and will continue to be punished once he gets out.

And we've become known as a club that signs cuntish players no one likes, which has got to have an adverse effect on our revenue (TV, merchandising. Time for that to change.

Doesn't seem to hurt Chelsea or Man U.

Different type of cuntishness, but the principal's the same.

personally think that's barton going nowhere now he's getting out in time for pre-season

however i also think if the club were to receive a bid that gives them a chance to recoup some of the fee and get shot of the wages and the man he'll be off - a few clubs like bolton might make the bid, but would they take the wages?

He might have "paid his debt", but what happens if we keep him and he does something like this again. I'd say the likelihood is high.

With the threat of prison looming over him if he remotely steps out of line, I'd say he was less likely to do something like this again than ever before (for the next 2 years at least). I'd guess we'll see a model pro after this actually, although I don't deny he's now stereotyped for life and almost anything he does or says will be turned into a negative causing bad press for himself and by consequence whichever club he ends up playing for, and anything he is rumoured to have done will be instantly fact (see Bellamy).

Despite what a lot of you seem to be suggesting Barton isn't some thug who enjoys going out looking for fights and then brags about it to his mates, he's a bloke with a serious anger management problem which he acknowledges and gets treatment for. He was stupid to get himself in this situation knowing he would be the target of provocation on a night out like that and knowing that he can't control himself, and he's paying the price for that stupidity.

Anyone who thinks Barton is getting off with a lighter punishment than a normal person is as mental as he is tbh. How many people who get into a scrap like this will have it hanging over them for the rest of their lives as Barton will? How many will have every wannabe hard man they meet trying to wind them up? How many will have the nation's press on their back following them around and looking for the slightest thing to put them in a bad light? How many will be forever pre-judged by the moral majority no matter how much they try to change their nature? Barton's serving his legal punishment, and will continue to be punished once he gets out.

And we've become known as a club that signs cuntish players no one likes, which has got to have an adverse effect on our revenue (TV, merchandising. Time for that to change.

all that means is should man utd or chelsea get rid of the players who are convicted of being cunts. i say yes and i said so when cantona should have (IMO) been kicked out of football.

Bottom line is the bottom line. :blush:

If they can't recoup the 6 million fee for him he'll stay, simple as that. Forget about principles, we're talking money here.

There was talk somewhere that Bolton would take him on loan and pay half his wages for a season, can't remember where I read that.  If so that will be his only way out because no-one in their right mind will buy him now.

i think there is alot of hypocrites in this thread!

Every one has a temper and lashes out when drunk.  SOmefolk need to get off their selfrighteous pedastals!

oh no they don't.

A whole lot of level headed sense in there. You'll never get a job reporting for the BBC.

As you say the suspended sentence will most likely prevent any further occurence. If it doesn't he'll go down again and deservedly so.

Barton's problems are self made some due to anger management and some due to the provocation such a person attracts.

He's certainly not unintelligent - quite the opposite - surprisingly articulate for a British pro footballer.

Let him play on and look the good player he did towards the end of last season or keep him until we get a fair market price.

Talk of sacking or "giving away" is stupidity.

Right now he's ours but there are worse people in football than Barton and some have not faced justice.

As I've said before our local rivals are managed by a thug and he's made out to be some kind of hero by the local press.

all that means is should man utd or chelsea get rid of the players who are convicted of being cunts. i say yes and i said so when cantona should have (IMO) been kicked out of football.

couldn't agree more, cantona should never have walked onto another english pitch after that

outside of the stadium, however, precedents need to be set when a player is found guilty of something like this (or drink driving or whatever) and they need to be stuck to as an industry otherwise we'll stay in the situation we're in now - i believe it's the same for all walks of life, not just football, if a highly paid director of a company gets arrested sniffing coke off a hookers hipbone then he should be sacked

if these people are to be be so highly rewarded for what they do they should be made to suffer consequences when they go astray

pie in the sky bullshit though, money talks at the end of the day and football (insert own industry here) looks after it's own

Joey Barton is our best central midfielder by an absolute street (not saying much I know but he's miles better than jimmy frigging bullard) and as such we need to seriously think what with talk of cost cutting and very little transfer funds whether or not we can afford to just bin a 6m pound footballer. Also factor in the money needed to purchase a suitable replacement and it all starts to get a bit expensive

You're basing this on what exactly?

It must be his performances at Man City as he was abysmal for us bar two or three games at the end of the season. Nicky Butt contributed much much more than him last season.

Do you honestly think he's worth £6M now? We'd be lucky to get £2M for him.

Butt was also dreadful (ie just as bad) until we turned our form around at the end of the season so you can't really use him as a marker for Barton.

Would be interested to hear what people's opinions of Duncan Ferguson are / were on a moral level. Surely this is the same situation, except that Barton is on our books when the incident which he has been serving time for took place.

Or is it different that Dunc was a big Scotsman and Joey a little bitch Scouser?

everything else aside anyone reckon he'd get a start in the teams who are our so-called rivals?  that's what we need to be asking ourselves i reckon

spurs, nope

villa, nope

pompey, not a snowballs

west ham, perhaps, long shot

everton, nup

blackburn, hmmmm?

man city, history aside, nup

miss any teams there?

get shot, but not before we get shot of butt & geremi IMO...bartons younger and as effective as either of the two of them on the pitch

everything else aside anyone reckon he'd get a start in the teams who are our so-called rivals?  that's what we need to be asking ourselves i reckon

spurs, nope

villa, nope

pompey, not a snowballs

west ham, perhaps, long shot

everton, nup

blackburn, hmmmm?

man city, history aside, nup

miss any teams there?

get shot, but not before we get shot of butt & geremi IMO...bartons younger and as effective as either of the two of them on the pitch

Barton or Jenas and Zokora? Personally i'd put JB in there as much as the other 2.

Barton or Reo Coker and Petrov (taking it Barry's leaving). I'd have Barton as much as Reo Coker.

Barton or Muntari and Diarra. Fair enough he doesn't make it.

Barton or Parker and Noble/Mullins (Barton walks in for the latter 2 for me, and i think would do a similar job holding midfield in that better passing, slightly worse tackling).

Barton or Cahil/Carlsey/Phil Neville. (I know Carsley's gone, perhaps Gravesen takes Carsley's spot). I'd get Barton in that midfield ahead of Carsley and Phil Neville.

Barton or Tugay and Reid (walks in)

Barton or Hamann and Elano. (he doesn't get in in the summer, but the winter he shifts Elano).

Barton was quality after KK took over and got into the new system. I want him to stay. He's our best CM by a distance. Has the engine to play CM and overlap martins down the left an put crosses in, gets out to the right too and tracks back. He's got a physicality that none of our other CMs have bar butt, an that's only cos butt stays inside 20sq metres of the pitch per game.

greydos:

you're forgetting modric and dos santos - even forgetting them barton isn't a good enough passer of the ball for that team, huddlestone brings as much as barton to a game in a different way, taino is probably as good a player too

reo-coker is a better box to box player, i wasn't forgetting barry i was counting him but i think JB's about a par with petrov

west ham, alright then

everton cahill and arteta...! 

blackburn OK

man city what about fernandes, he's better than JB for me

i don't reckon he was half as good as you're making out either, someone else said it but he raised his game from utter shite to decent IMO, to good if you're being generous