Who on here seriously wants Shearer?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I couldnt believe what I was hearing at Wigan. I thought it was a media myth fueled by a very small minority of thick idiots. :tickedoff:

I can just imagine the mentally retarded idiots and clueless slackjaws on SSN waiting around outside the ground the day he is to appointed, once again making us look like idiots to the whole nation. They come from the same group of people who think that if we were to appoint Keegan we would all of a sudden rise up the Premiership and start playing this amazing football. City anyone!!!

I certainly don't.

It's the most ridiculous idea doing the rounds. He needs to manage somewhere else first and develop his skills as a manager (make his mistakes and learn more about himself), in no way should he return and make us his first full time managerial post. Madness.

Yeah, just like Keegan did.

Well, it might work in the way Keegan did but why take what is such a huge risk? Not many people go on to do well in their first job at a big club (which we are, without wishing to get into that debate).

Yeah, I realise that, think it would be a huge gamble myself. Just wanted to point out Parky's hyperbole as much as anything. These appointments can work, but I'd say they're a bad idea generally.

I certainly don't.

It's the most ridiculous idea doing the rounds. He needs to manage somewhere else first and develop his skills as a manager (make his mistakes and learn more about himself), in no way should he return and make us his first full time managerial post. Madness.

Yeah, just like Keegan did.

Well, it might work in the way Keegan did but why take what is such a huge risk? Not many people go on to do well in their first job at a big club (which we are, without wishing to get into that debate).

Yeah, I realise that, think it would be a huge gamble myself. Just wanted to point out Parky's hyperbole as much as anything. These appointments can work, but I'd say they're a bad idea generally.

Keegan appointment was one in a million really. certainly for us. cant imagine the footballing gods would smile on us again so soon

Guest Stephen927

It's a tough one to call. It would certainly be a huge gamble, and if Shearer is going to manage a team it will almost definitely be Newcastle United.

If we did have Shearer as maanger, we'd almost certainly have to have someone more experienced in a director of football type role, someone with many contacts around football who knows how things such as scouting networks work, someone like Houllier or Klinsmann, but whether they would be keen on that kind of role is unknown, and even whether Shearer would be keen on having someone help him out.

Shearer wouldn't be that bad if we brought in a very experienced figure to act as a director of football. Someone who Shearer would be happy to work with of course.

However, Sheare on his own would be risky. ot sure what kind of contacts he has as far as identifying and bringin in players goes. We certainly wouldn't want him doing a Roy Keane and bringing in championship standard players.

It's a tough one to call. It would certainly be a huge gamble, and if Shearer is going to manage a team it will almost definitely be Newcastle United.

If we did have Shearer as maanger, we'd almost certainly have to have someone more experienced in a director of football type role, someone with many contacts around football who knows how things such as scouting networks work, someone like Houllier or Klinsmann, but whether they would be keen on that kind of role is unknown, and even whether Shearer would be keen on having someone help him out.

How does Klinsmann know how a scouting netwrok works?

I certainly don't.

For the record we don't have to sack Allardyce as he could do a good job upstairs and continue his behind the scenes revolution which from all accounts is working and developing the infrastructure for success in the long term.

I'd be happier than the days we brought in the 'proven quality' of messrs Souness and Allardyce.

The plus side of Shearer being manager is that IMO he'll be able to attract a better standard of player compared to what we can get now being in mid table, the downside is I think he's too close to some players and that will affect decision making.

Guest Hopeless_Optimist

People mention there being more experienced options but what seems evident from recent times is that we have a problem filling the managerial position.

Someone like Gerarrd Houllier could be a possibility but I really can't think of anyone else.

Shearer would be a big gamble, of course it could all go tits up but I'm pretty sure he would have us playing better football than the absolute toss we're watching at the moment.

Don't want Shearer either,  but feel that if another manager gets it they'll always have Big Al's shadow casting over them.

My choice would be Louis van Gaal,  at least we'd see some decent football on the pitch.

Guest Stephen927

How does Klinsmann know how a scouting netwrok works?

The example of scouting networks was aimed more at Houllier, should have probably made it a bit more clear there.

Don't want Shearer either,  but feel that if another manager gets it they'll always have Big Al's shadow casting over them.

My choice would be Louis van Gaal,  at least we'd see some decent football on the pitch.

Good shout.

Guest sicko2ndbest

No houllier, the premiership is a completely different animal now than when he left.

My philosophy is that if it dosn't work for Sam (and i am still willing to give him time), giver Shearer a go. The fans will give Shearer a lot more time than anyone else barring Mourinho and that wont happen. We have had 2 shit managers Roeder and Souness, with Allardyce on the way to possibly becoming the 3rd, so why not try Big Al.

Those of you who want Van Gaal, Houllier, and any other foreign coach are the same people who would be calling for his head if it dosnt go right in the first 2-3 months.

Guest toonlass

Why the hell would Shearer want the poisoned chalice that is the Newcastle United manager's job. He will be earning nice money(not that he needs cash) with the BBC doing his pundit work a couple of days a week(if that). Why would he take the stress and heartache of managing Newcastle?

Anyway, it wouldn't matter because all the booers and those who walk out with 20 minutes left would be chanting "SHEARER OUT" as soon as his team lost two games in a row and want him replaced by some fancy dan foreign coach.