Who on here seriously wants Shearer?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What qualifications and experience does Alan Shearer actually have to suggest he can do a good job?

Let's look at the footballing careers of Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourninio, Rafa Benitez et al.  Not exactly world beaters.

Who knows whether Shearer has what it takes, but I'd much prefer some experience.  

This thread ought to be locked, absolutely stupidity this is. Sam won't be getting the sack for a while yet and I hope he doesn't we would be the joke of the Premiership if that happens. Jesus Christ you guys need to get a grip of yourselves.

This is not a direct attack on SA. It is about people wanting Shearer and imagining he will be some kind of cure all.

in some respects i agree with wht someone said earlier. lets just get him in to be manager and be done with it. Until that day, his name is always going to get bandied about after a couple of defeats - whoever is the manager

I certainly don't want him now.

People who are saying that they want Shearer now are judging him as a player, not as a manager. I've got no doubt that he has passion for the club and cares about NUFC, of course he does, but so do I. Would I want me managing NUFC? (well, I'd play 4-4-2 with Milner and the Zog on the wings), no - at least not outside of 'Football Manager' on my PC anyway.

Shearer may well turn out to be a great manager, but the thing is that right now, we don't know, and it is a huge risk. I think that we've had enough grief and things going wrong at NUFC to take on an unknown as manager right now. I'd prefer that Shearer went off somewhere else, lower down and got a bit of experience. NUFC is a hell of a club to manage. I don't think we're unmanagable as someone said once, but it's not the sort of job where you want a complete managerial novice.

Right now, Shearer is a big risk, and I would hate for him to get the job and for it to go wrong - Most of all I'd hate it for the club, but I'd hate it for him as well.

Great players don't neccesarily make great managers. Let him have a crack lower down and at some point in the future if he's shown he can cut it, then by all means give him the chance.

You're hired!  ;D

As far as Shearer goes, I think it would work out if he managed us sooner than later. I have nothing to base that on except for the fact that he probably understands better than anyone what a manager of Newcastle United should do. Also, if we want someone to build the club over a long period of time, he's the man. I find it hard to believe that the fans would treat him the way we've treated Souness, Roeder and Allardyce, even if we had the same results.

Something tells me, though, that the players would get up for Shearer.

This thread ought to be locked, absolutely stupidity this is. Sam won't be getting the sack for a while yet and I hope he doesn't we would be the joke of the Premiership if that happens. Jesus Christ you guys need to get a grip of yourselves.

This is not a direct attack on SA. It is about people wanting Shearer and imagining he will be some kind of cure all.

You've obviously not saw that documentary when Shearer went to Burkina Faso.

'Alan Shearer Treats HIV like a Solano cross.... he blasts it away.'

Guest smarty2006

Motivation is a major part of football management Roeder and the likes tend to do well when first appointed,  when a player believes in a manager it makes the world of difference, almost anything works on the pitch, but as time progresses and managers get "Found out" for lack of tactics etc, things change rapidly. It all hinges on how quick Shearer learns on the job,  New managers (ex-player type) tend to be very motivating at first, but the danger of it all going pear shaped is very high when the players stop believing.

I genuinely think he's the only man the moronic majority will give their patience to, so I suppose that's me supporting his potential appointment. If Allardyce is the best British manager we could have got (which most people still stand by) then our only option next time is to look abroad and get a foreign manager with good pedigree, who would again probably require a decent bedding-in period. Do people genuinely have faith in our support to give someone like that their backing?

I'd personally be aghast if we brought in an O'Leary sort to replace Allardyce - so Shearer is the only genuine option from these shores. The fairytale appointment for the soap opera club.

Big Al wouldn't take the job unless given a hefty warchest and full backing of the board, which would obviously be a good thing if it was Ashley's own money put into it and not done in a way which could harm the club, and he wouldn't have a far stretch to go in order to play better football than we are now, which would instantly buy him more time.

He would command respect of the players and could probably attract a higher standard of player than Allardyce, simply because of his legend and like robster and others have said, even if he failed it would eliminate the shadow that he still casts over St. James'.

He's the one with everything to lose, not us (unless we were relegated, of course.)

Also, I firmly believe he'll play wide, direct, attacking football and build the team around a "Shearer-lite" sort of player... much in the same way Keegan and Robson worked (post Andy Cole, at least.)

Two good wingers and at least one target man... I personally wouldn't complain, but some would.

Some ammunition for Shearer fans:

In Alan Shearer - My Illustrated Career, he says something along the lines of playing with good players in the right positions leads to success.

Wow. :lol:

In Alan Shearer - My Illustrated Career, he says something along the lines of playing with good players in the right positions leads to success.

:lol:

With insight like this we simply have to appoint him immediately...

You are taking the piss like? So all these wonderful foreign coaches, with success coming out their arseholes applied to manage Newcastle and Fat Fred said "Ah f*** it, we'll give the job to Roeder!" Please get real......

You might want to bloody read my post next time before jumping in. I didn't say any foreign managers applied for the job, I pointed out that you aren't on the board so don't know who applied or didn't.

And Houllier made it known he was intrested in the job, FFS didn't give it to him so your last sentence isn't that crazy.

I wouldn't really want Shearer now but he's always there, whichever manager is in charge he'll always be waiting to step in, the good things about him potentially becoming manager is that:

1. He understands what brand of football the fans want.

2. He'll have the backing of the fans instantly.

:lol:

With insight like this we simply have to appoint him immediately...

:laugh:

"Newcastle fans would rather win the FA Cup than the Premier League" - Alan Shearer

I think he said that when reality smacked that as club we were no longer capable of challenging for the title.

Plus, its the one tr0phy that the club has any real connection and history with

Let's look at the footballing careers of Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourninio, Rafa Benitez et al.  Not exactly world beaters.

Who knows whether Shearer has what it takes, but I'd much prefer some experience.  

Alex Ferguson -  Joined Rangers for a then record fee for a transfer between two Scottish clubs.

Arsene Wegner - Won a league title in France

Rafa Benitez  - Was injured young while in the Read Madrid system.

So we are looking for a s*** footballer who has managed someone like Huddersfield..............what about X-Newcastle stopper Peter Jackson?

Guest toonlass

You are taking the piss like? So all these wonderful foreign coaches, with success coming out their arseholes applied to manage Newcastle and Fat Fred said "Ah f*** it, we'll give the job to Roeder!" Please get real......

You might want to bloody read my post next time before jumping in. I didn't say any foreign managers applied for the job, I pointed out that you aren't on the board so don't know who applied or didn't.

And Houllier made it known he was intrested in the job, FFS didn't give it to him so your last sentence isn't that crazy.

You might want to stop talking shit. Houllier is one manager, I was talking about Van Gaal and every other fucker who has been mentioned in passing with the Newcastle job. Wasn't it only when Sam was appointed that Houllier mentioned he would have liked the job, so how would Fat Fred have known it when Roeder was appointed.  And no, I don't know for sure who did or didn't apply, but then again, neither do you. Roeder was given the job cos no other fucker wanted it.

You might want to stop talking s***. Houllier is one manager, I was talking about Van Gaal and every other fucker who has been mentioned in passing with the Newcastle job. Wasn't it only when Sam was appointed that Houllier mentioned he would have liked the job, so how would Fat Fred have known it when Roeder was appointed.  And no, I don't know for sure who did or didn't apply, but then again, neither do you. Roeder was given the job cos no other fucker wanted it.

Like I said, Houllier was the only one who made it public he was intrested. If he hadn't made it public and someone had said he was intrested would you believe it? No, so how do you know that any of those other managers applied for the job? You don't which is going back to my original point, you don't know who did or didn't apply 'cos you have f*** all to with the running of Newcastle.

And Houllier claimed intrest before Sam was appointed. It was only after that the quotes themselves came out, in the chronicle and BBC if I remember correctly.