Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

I'm actually angry at the fact that it took Allardyce THAT long to realise that Zoggy is an LW.

Ironically he did f*** all when he become a LW.

It was when Martins was taken off and our wonderous manager ridiculously decided to play for a draw, actually.

Owen was a positive move. Martins was poor.

We didn't lose because of that move.

Martins was at least worrying Chelsea, they knew they couldn't really push on and go at us for fear of leaving him room to run into.

Bringing Owen into a game like this was about the most stupid thing Sam could have done, for reasons Rich has explained already so I won't revisit them.

And if he bagged the winner?

All hail the tactical masterstroke.

Is that what your argument has been reduced to? Fuck me. :lol:

I'm actually angry at the fact that it took Allardyce THAT long to realise that Zoggy is an LW.

It was when Martins was taken off and our wonderous manager ridiculously decided to play for a draw, actually.

Hear hear. How anyone can blame SA today is beyond me. I think he deserves as much credit as the players for the way they were set up and played today. I think he is absolutely right too about n'Zogbia - he has much more room ot attack sides when breaking into space from left back. Oh, and Given was excellent today. As he usually is.

He has more space to work in because he's getting the ball at the halfway line with about four opposing players between him and goal, so there's really no need to press him at that point.

Cristiano Ronaldo would get a lot more room playing RB, but you ouldn't put him there would you?

I couldn't see the game just after Owen came on, but he initially looked very deep. Did he stay there or did we push on?

Stayed there and their defence pushed up, grateful that no-one was gonna get in behind them anymore.

Dear me. We had them on the ropes for long sections prior to that too.

Oh, another note about N'zogbia, forget him being able to get more space attacking from deep, he is an attrocious defender.  You know you're in trouble when SWP makes him look a fool in the air.

yes, any apparent benefit gained from his superiority at attacking from deep, which is at best debatable considering most of his best work today was in the final third, is lost by his defensive weaknesses in the same position. next game has to be duff on the right and n'zogbia on the left.

I couldn't see the game just after Owen came on, but he initially looked very deep. Did he stay there or did we push on?

Stayed there and their defence pushed up, grateful that no-one was gonna get in behind them anymore.

This is the thing with Martins he might be scatty but he keeps 2/3 of theirs occupyied and on edge worrying about the ball over the top or into a channel.

Honestly even if we play Enrique he will still be raped by SWP.

Faye should be our defensive midfielder from now on. He shows that he is capable to bring the ball forward by some neat short passes.

Oh, another note about N'zogbia, forget him being able to get more space attacking from deep, he is an attrocious defender.  You know you're in trouble when SWP makes him look a fool in the air.

yes, any apparent benefit gained from his superiority at attacking from deep, which is at best debatable considering most of his best work today was in the final third, is lost by his defensive weaknesses in the same position. next game has to be duff on the right and n'zogbia on the left.

Yes.

Been saying that all season though haven't we...

(Well, apart from the bit about Duff)

Sam's changes will determine the outcome of this match. It's finely balanced at the moment.

I was hoping it wasn't going to come down to relying on Sam to make the right changes. :(

Predictable really. Tactically, the guy is totally clueless.

Gah it's excruciating. It was so improved and it looked like it was going right, and in some respects it looks like the manager is very unfortunate, but it was a poor line-up to start with and poor substitutions that arguably cost us the game - the guy's still fucking it up. I wish so much for him to get it right.

I thought Beye, Caçapa and N'Zogbia were all good. Faye in particular though, was excellent - strong in the tackle, powerful in the air and has a more ambitious passing range than Butt or Smith in that role - i'm just not sure wether Taylor is good enough at the back for him to play there permanently.

We lost ourselves that game by doing what we always do, grab a goal then sit back and try to defend it. Reading, Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City. And what do all those away games have in common? We had a lead/result and ended up having lost all of them.

We aren't a good enough side to sit on a result, especially at Chelsea. Offside or not, the goal was inevitable - I was actually waiting for it to happen.

You were waiting for Chelsea to score a goal that was 5 yards offside?  Give over, man, any other team would have done the same. 

We lost ourselves that game by doing what we always do, grab a goal then sit back and try to defend it. Reading, Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City. And what do all those away games have in common? We had a lead/result and ended up having lost all of them.

We aren't a good enough side to sit on a result, especially at Chelsea. Offside or not, the goal was inevitable - I was actually waiting for it to happen.

Were you actually watching the game? Just for the record, I would reckon that the possession after we scored until the last 10 minutes must have been 70 30. To us. There was only one team that looked like winning the game for most of the second half.

Faye should be our defensive midfielder from now on. He shows that he is capable to bring the ball forward by some neat short passes.

Have to say, I thought Faye was exceptional. Height and power in the midfield, something we've been crying out for a long time now. He was absolutely paggered by the 75th minute and looked knackered twice, but still managed to finish the game.

I thought Beye, Caçapa and N'Zogbia were all good. Faye in particular though, was excellent - strong in the tackle, powerful in the air and has a more ambitious passing range than Butt or Smith in that role - i'm just not sure wether Taylor is good enough at the back for him to play there permanently.

Faye and Beye are fucking mint players.

Martins was at least worrying Chelsea, they knew they couldn't really push on and go at us for fear of leaving him room to run into.

Bringing Owen into a game like this was about the most stupid thing Sam could have done, for reasons Rich has explained already so I won't revisit them.

And if he bagged the winner?

All hail the tactical masterstroke.

Is that what your argument has been reduced to? Fuck me. :lol:

no suprise, some of his posts during the game included "MARTINNNSSS...playing fifa" and "hope he gets shot for real next time". the decline and fall of HTT has reached its final nadir and the dark ages are upon us.  :crazy2:

Have to say, I thought Faye was exceptional. Height and power in the midfield, something we've been crying out for a long time now. He was absolutely paggered by the 75th minute and looked knackered twice, but still managed to finish the game.

MOM for me closely followed by Zoggy and Beye.