Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Have not seen the game but it seems that we were hard done-by with the late off-side goal.

At least there seems to be some improvement in attacking effort, but, by all accounts, this wasn't until the second half when, once again, Allardyce had to scrap his tactics and play N'Zogbia on the left wing/up front where he SHOULD be...

How many times are the team going to have to go behind before the manager lets the team play in the formation which is most effective for the players we have ?

People are grasping at straws here - I have read the accounts of those who witnessed the game, and it appears that we really only had 2-3 chances ; this seems to be par for course, esp in away games..

Lets put this result into perspective - it was a defeat ; maybe undeserved because of the manner of it, but a defeat nevertheless ; we created very few chances(contrast this with Villa's performance at Chelsea a few days earlier - so much for those who claim O'Neill plays negative football, as this was their second game away from home where they scored 4 goals this season).

Chelsea were even weaker for this match than against Villa ;our strikers once again failed to score...

As welcome as any improvement is, I for one am not going to start celebrating the club's revival yet -

the side has dished up some total rubbish this season and been made to look second-best by a motley crew of mediocre sides, 3 of whom are likely to be relegated....

Once they start beating teams - convincingly - who they SHOULD be beating, maybe I'll get excited by a 2-1 defeat at Chelsea, but maybe I won't..!

There are plenty of accusations of 'too high expectations' on this site about fans who expect better performances - I'm afraid there are too many here with too LOW expectations.

Failing at the moment, but succeeding later is good enough for me.

any reason to belive that will happen...from what you've seen the last 7 month ?

A pointless question, which, I note, you aim at anyone who isn't posting pictures of themselves vomitting onto a tiny sam allardyce voodoo doll they've knitted. 

The last seven months are just that.  The last seven months.  If you want an idea of why people feel like backing allardyce you have to look at the entire timeframe of his career, what he's accomplished and what he speaks about, his ideas on footballers and the future.  I cannot begin to stress the shortsightedness of picking on ANY coaches first seven months with ANY club and trying to use that as a stick with which to beat other fans who support him. 

We were robbed by an absolutely SH*T decision. Sure they might have scored on other chances on another day, but today came down to that imo.

The Roz - Smith sub was necessary (severe concussion on official site) and positive because it allowed Zog to,finally, roam more up field. The Duff - Dukes sub was understandable but the Owen one left a bit to be desired. I don't think it soley cost us the match by any means; the players in the last 10-20 minutes were running on empty, see Faye.

A point or not, that match must surely be seen as progress and a positive performance. The players performed and Allardyce showed some improvement.

Guest The Libertine

that chelsea starting line up probably cost over 100 million.

Not really.

google the players. if not 100 million then very close.

to briefly elaborate on that, essien cost 25, mikel cost 16, SWP cost 21, cole and bridge cost 7 each. thats only half the team.

Guest Ridzuan

Havnt had my say yet regarding this game so Ill say it now.In the first half we were poor and was lucky to go one goal down.Oba should have score at least one goal yesterday.Second half,we came back strong,scored a goal and were playing better football but couldnt get the second goal.I was happy if we could get at least a point but everybody knows what has happened.We were cheated and robbed by a blind linesman.He should retire from being a linesman or he could wear a permanent binoculars when he is officiating again.Very poor decision from a very poor linesman.But to be honest,Chelsea was the better team overall yesterday and deserved the win but not in that manner.

Guest Brazilianbob

At the end of the day, it all boils down to the fact that any improved performance this season has always been down to the fact that the players and manager have performed abysmally in several matches and then realized they were in the last chance saloon after being pilloried by fans and local media.  Hence the improved performance against Arsenal and now this performance against Chelsea.

To me this isn't good enough!  One decent performance coming off the back of 6 or 7 sh*t (and I mean totally unacceptable sh*t) performances is just not good enough period!

http://www.vg.no/bilder/edrum/1198952049607_210.jpg

No wonder he got it wrong. He's only about 5.

Positives from the match:

Given back on top form

Faye was an absolute monster in midfield

Martins played well

Zog was immense going forwards

why dont we play football like that every away match?

we attack for about 30 minutes away to chelsea and dont attack at all against wigan, derby, reading and teams like that

n'zogbia, miner, faye, cacapa were outstanding

imo faye should stay as a centre midfielder away from home

robbed for their second goal

shouldve got 1 point

Guest Knightrider

I don't think Rozehnal for Smith was a negative change. It allowed N'Zogbia to push up and moved Duff into the centre and it worked well enough. Owen for Martins wasn't negative either, it just messed things up when we were on top.

This is how I read it. Just because Owen's substitution didn't work doesn't mean it was a wrong choice to make. Martins' pace had Chelsea sitting deeper than they were when Owen came on but like I said, if Owen had of popped up with the winner everyone on here would be hailing that particular decision as a masterstroke. In short damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

With Chelsea not siting deep you'd hope more space would open up in and behind them for a ball on for Owen who may not be the quickest these days but is without doubt exceptional off the ball in terms of movement, i.e. he doesn't need blinding pace to get away from a defender.

All that would be true if he didn't come on as the lone striker, HTT. That's what annoyed me anyway -  it was a worthless substitution, we needed another striker (if we were to try and attack effectively for the remainder of the game, which we didn't). Martins is hardly exceptional up there on his own, but i'd bet over the course of 90 minutes, he'd do more than Owen would. 

Whilst bringing Owen on for Martins took away some of our attacking impetus, had we been able to create a half chance I'd have been much more happy to see Owen on the end of it than Oba. It didn't work, but it wasn't as terrible an idea as some people are making out, and it certainly wasn't a defensive substitution. We didn't really create much by the way of chances as it was when Oba was on, so if there are only likely to be scraps to feed off, why not have Owen there to feed off them?

Guest Knightrider

Whilst bringing Owen on for Martins took away some of our attacking impetus, had we been able to create a half chance I'd have been much more happy to see Owen on the end of it than Oba. It didn't work, but it wasn't as terrible an idea as some people are making out, and it certainly wasn't a defensive substitution. We didn't really create much by the way of chances as it was when Oba was on, so if there are only likely to be scraps to feed off, why not have Owen there to feed off them?

Exactly.

Guest Brewcastle

Didn't have the oportunity to watch the match. But saw the goals at the news. -No doubt Chelsea did win with an off-side.

But I'm a bit confused about how the match was. Many writers in this thread says that Toon had that good match.

From the match stats on NUFC homepage, is this to read:

...........................................Chelsea.................Newcastle

Goals.......................................2............................1..........

Posession..............................64%.......................36%......

Shoots on target...................10............................2..........

Shoots off target....................6.............................1..........

Corners.................................12............................3..........

Fouls......................................9............................11..........

Most fouls............................Kalou (2)................Butt (3)....

Yellow cards...........................1..............................2.........

Red cards...............................0..............................0.........

Scorers..............................Essien (29)...............Butt (56..

..........................................Kalou (87)...............................

Good to be positive, but did Toon really have that good match?  ???

Was Ashley at the game ? If so, i never saw him and it wasn't hard to find anyone in that Lower Tier  :lol:

Weren't in the upper tier either